mtbr member

Oregon Handmade Bike Show!

Did I see any of you at the Handmade Bike Show in Portland last weekend?
    http://www.oregonbca.org/

Vulture Cycles joined bike builders from around the state this past weekend to show off the wares to the public all under one roof. Being from Central Oregon, I guess I'm a little sheltered from the city bike life. I thought quality bikes were built for one of two purposes either road or mountain. Little did I know there seems to be a whole sub-industry in Portland based on high-end "sidewalk" bikes. Bikes from several manufactures focused on beautiful lines and lots of built-on accessories like racks, fends and lights. Anyways lots of cool people, some amazing bikes, some well known builders and some newcomers and just tons of folks stoked on bikes! For me the coolest bike though was the cargo bike that not only hauled pizzas it also hauls two kegs! Anyone care to help pedal that up to Sourgrass Meadow for me?

The Vulture crew consisted of Vulture, Eugene, myself, Fury, JB and even Ma' and Pa' Vulture. We had a great show, people seemed kinda psyched to check out the weird bikes with knobbies. Vulture made a custom tall bike that is huge and Eugene got in the act building a tall Unicycle. Oh, and my monstercross was there with "that stem". We definitely had the weird covered.

Anyone else go? Anyone else got photos to share? I'll post some pictures for you to get a taste of it for those of you that missed it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-p1020140.jpg  

Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-p1020183.jpg  

Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-p1020180.jpg  

Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-p1020165.jpg  

Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-p1020164.jpg  

Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-p1020173.jpg  

Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-p1020163.jpg  

meatier showers
    That does it. Next year, I'm there.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Keep Singletrack Single
    Looks like fun! Reminds me of the bikes in Holland. I may have to check it out next year.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

please, just ride
    Cool stuff! Can't decide if that last pic is of Motley Crue or Wayne, Garth, and friend! The Vulture frame looks sweet! Nice lines. CD

mtbr member
    Didn't realize it was happening. Instead did a SS conversion of my carbon trailer hauler and Sunday rode MFT...

Singletrack Addict
    Nice!
    Sorry I missed it. I had work obligations and the timing just didn't work out to steal an hour or two.

Glad you liked the Metrofiets stuff, those are my neighbors and they are doing some impressive things. Almost brought one of their pallet bikes to BC and one of these days I'll get Christian form Hopworks to make the trip over.

Having grown up in Portland then moved away throughout the nineties, I've been back now for almost ten years and the explosion of the bike scene this past decade is incredible. It's all commuters, Cross Crusaders, roadies, tall bikes, mini bikes and hipsters on fixies, but it is a scene and makes me proud. There is movement among the mountain biking community to get access to singletrack around town (evidence can be found on this forum), but for the most part mountain biking is in the minority in this town where if you can't get there by bike, you can't get there.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I didn't take a camera so I don't have any pics of my booth, but anyone at BC saw the MTB anyway. I think Wade and I brought some of the only MTBs at the show. I had a good enough time. Those OBCA folks are good folks.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    I didn't take a camera so I don't have any pics of my booth, but anyone at BC saw the MTB anyway. I think Wade and I brought some of the only MTBs at the show. I had a good enough time. Those OBCA folks are good folks.
    Rob English had his folding 29er on display.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYourCrash
    Did I see any of you at the Handmade Bike Show in Portland last weekend?
    No, but you saw me on the freeway 10 minutes after you left!

Glad the Vulture booth got a good reception. Portland isn't exactly the most mtb-friendly town in Oregon. Believe me, there's lots of resistance to the idea of having more than 1/4 mile of actual singletrack in Forest Park (lots of comments like "if you want to mountain bike, drive to the mountains" and lots of people who insist that boots couldn't possibly be as damaging as bike tires). Maybe more-so now that cycling is more mainstream and less a narrow special interest than it used to be, mountain biking is perceived as a very narrow interest demanding inordinate resources. But echoing Charlie's comments, at least the stuff that's happening around transportation cycling here is mind-boggling and thrilling. I'm sure it was a very cool show, and I'll have to get there next year.

Wade's a great builder, and having just learned he's back in business I'll be sure to bring up his name when the subject of custom bikes comes up. Love the tall unicycle (and how the chain drive allows actual customization of the drive "ratio").
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 11-03-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There was also a 29er by Boedie Cycles and a MTB from Cielo decked out with the new SRAM XX but mountain bikes were definitely a minority. Very cool event nonetheless. Here is a photo of the Vertigo booth during setup, unfortunately I didn't take many others.

KJK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oregon Handmade Bike Show!-obca-vertigo-booth.jpg  

endoguy
    Great pics!! Does anyone know back at the '06 or '07 show there was a builder from i believe Ashland or Corvallis that made these curved tube Ti mtn bikes? The bikes looked kind of retro. I didn't see him at this show.

Tree Hugger
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Can Wade build me a DJ frame thats belt drive, and has those awesome swoopey tubes?
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Yep, no problem. I know he's built a couple belt drives already. Last I saw there was one for sale at Sunnyside Sports here in Bend. I think its a mtn 29'er. He's also built some serious dirt jumpers too, so wouldn't be out the question to get it all put together.

endoguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Jones is correct! thanks!! Very interesting engineering!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Wade even builds dirt jumpers with only one wheel!

Hey Chris, did you see Fred from Wolfhound? I'm bummed that I couldn't make it to the show. The last NAHBS that was in P-Town was rad!

That Vulture frame of turned out sweet. I love the relieved DO's.
    I have a pile of sketches very similar to that one, the only difference is that mine usually have a curved ST to shorten up the rear (for 29ers). I'm waiting for a small pile of new bronze to arrive so I can start sticking some tubing together again. It's been too long.

mtbr member
    Sup Cookie.

Yeah, Mr Wolfhound made an appearance. No bikes though other than the sweet one I saw on his car. He makes a nice bike too.