mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Oregon folks - looking for some beta

Hey all - making the trip from Tahoe to Portland for a family function in a few weeks and trying to get some beta on Blackrock Mountain and the Sandy Ridge network. Plan on hitting Blackrock on the way up and back and have a few days around Portland to hit Sandy or any other recommendations. Any insight about what to expect or tips?

mtbr member
    Black Rock. The map on the BRMBA site has minor errors, but the signs are all well-posted at every trailhead and road crossing. Berms are nice but the wood features are awesome, just be careful on them if they're wet. I usually start on Banzai Downhill (green) to warm up then ride Sickter Gnar (blue). When you reach Basic Training, turn around and head back uphill, don't bother with the last leg of Banzai Downhill until you want to leave. Access is shared with a kid's campground (Tapawingo) and is somewhat sensitive. Be sure to ride at a snail's pace until you reach the orange gate on your way in. Don't drink in the parking lot or block any of the side roads with your car. Be sure to hit the Bread Board in Falls City on your way out.

Blackrock Mountain Bike Association

The Bread Board Artisan Bakery

Sandy Ridge. The route suggested at MTBProject is pretty good. Link below. It's an easier climb than Blackrock. My favorite segment was probably doing Communication Breakdown + Quid Pro Flow + 338 + Two Turntables. All I had to do was stay to the left at every trail intersection. We grabbed a great lunch at El Burro Loco in nearby Welches.

El Burro Loco

Sandy Ridge Trail System - Full Tour Mountain Bike Trail, Sandy, OR

If you give a little more information about your skill level, what you're looking for, it might help in crafting a more detailed reply.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Good beta thanks. I try to ride about 4 times a week averaging 15-25 miles per. Comfortable on just about all trails and ride a 5" AM bike. Always looking for something fast and flowing..shocking I know. Mr. Toads in Tahoe, if you are familiar, is right out my back door and pretty much my home trail. Climbing not an issue as it always leads to something good.

mtbr member
    Ok so it sounds like you can handle Banzai Downhill at Blackrock, all the features on it are rollable, just be careful. Sickter Gnar will put a 120-130mm bike through its paces; I've done it but I don't hit every feature. It does have some road gaps and 3'+ drops. If you don't see the landing as you roll up, take a look before you go.

You should be fine on everything at Sandy Ridge; even the big rock drops and hucks that can't be rolled have ride-arounds.

Might be worth taking a look at the new Alsea Falls trails on your way back. They will be open on June 22nd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sandy Ridge is very comparable to Mr. Toads in terms of style and quality, although you won't find any thing at Sandy Ridge as difficult as the main rockgarden in Mr. Toads. Blackrock's difficulty comes from wooden freeride features, but you can have more than a day's worth of fun just riding Bonsai and Sickter Gnar as tbmaddux said.

A side trip to Oakridge would also be a worthy way to spend a day versus Blackrock. Pay for the shuttle to the top of Alpine from Oregon Adventures and ride Alpine/Tire/Cloverpatch/Alpine loop.

mtbr member
    Definitely check out Sandy Ridge, plenty there to keep you interested. Personally, I'd bypass Blackrock for a day in Oakridge, I get bored at Blackrock to quickly. But if you're into fast flowy trails with wooden features, it would be worth checking out.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Guys thanks for all the info. Got me thinking. Looked up Oakridge and the place looks sweet. Have to do some more research. tbmaddux… actually hit the wrong button, I am on a 160mm ibis HD and pretty comfortable with a little air time, more so on drops than gaps. Looking forward to exploring your trails and enjoying some fine Oregon dirt. Things are already starting to get sandy here. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Oh, then you'll be fine. At Sandy Ridge, check out the big drops and rock features on Follow the Leader and the one big drop on (yep) Rock Drop. Video:

Sandy Ridge Trail System, Oregon | 2013 on Vimeo

At Black Rock, Sickter Gnar has the fish gap which crosses the road at about 4-5' height, and a couple entries and drops that are 3-4'. And then it goes up from there (Grannies, Sunday/Brake, Dino's). Video:

Exclusive Premiere: Adidas Eyewear Presents Chasing Summer - Pinkbike (Oregon segment starts up at about 4:30 and they start riding Blackrock at about a minute later)

Oakridge has amazing elevations, views, and miles and miles of single track descents. Lots of variety. Very different from what you'll see at Blackrock or Sandy Ridge, which are both more purpose-built mountain bike trails while Oakridge is classic single track, lots of which is restored early-20th-century CCC trail. Anyone visiting Oregon should get a shuttle of Alpine, and I recommend the Alpine-Tire-Cloverpatch-Alpine route if you have the legs.

Oregon Adventures Shuttles | Oregon Adventures

EDIT - Going back to your original post... you might want to check out Hood River while you're in PDX. You could also reach Blackrock from PDX and visit somewhere else on your drive up and back. Did I plug the new Alsea Falls trails yet on this thread? They open on June 22nd...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Those guys in that video are killing that trail. Makes me wish I had a downhill bike and of course a skill set to go along. Great feedback everyone. I will let you know how the trip goes. Time for some more research on maximizing my time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Guys, thank for all the info. Had a great time checking out some various trails and conditions were great depite some heavy rain at times. Stopped in Oakridge on the way up to PDX and used Oregon Adventures for a shuttle and rode ATC. Super fun. Next was Sandy Ridge, ended up getting 3 laps in and covering almost everything I think. Parking lot was full but not many folks seen once on the trails. Next was Black Rock. 4 laps. 2 on BD ask 2 on SG. A scouting run followed by a more flowy one. Last stop was back in Oakridge with the Lawler and Hardestry trails. Over all super fun trip. Lots of great riding and quite diverse between them all. Little greasy and muddy a times but well worth it. I will be back in the fall for some more. Thanks again