Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Oregon Enduro Series

I need to set a cycling goal for next summer to get my butt out and ride more. I'm thinking about signing up for the whole series.

Did anybody do any of the races this last summer? What did you think of the format? Was there a lot of standing around between the stages? Since the stages are timed and you have to ride to the next stage and ride at your own pace, Do the various categories end up getting mixed together? Any other thoughts?

And more of a general racing question...Do you have to race in your age group, or can you drop down? The 19-39 Cat 2 men look to be much more competitive than the 40+ Cat 2 men.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I need to set a cycling goal for next summer to get my butt out and ride more. I'm thinking about signing up for the whole series.

Did anybody do any of the races this last summer? What did you think of the format? Was there a lot of standing around between the stages? Since the stages are timed and you have to ride to the next stage and ride at your own pace, Do the various categories end up getting mixed together? Any other thoughts?

And more of a general racing question...Do you have to race in your age group, or can you drop down? The 19-39 Cat 2 men look to be much more competitive than the 40+ Cat 2 men.
    I did two of the five part series this past summer (would of been three, but broke a frame while pre-riding a course the day before race in Bend on "Funner"). The format rules, so much better than Super D and very fun to do since your are only going "all out" if you choose to for the timed stages and chill almost as long as you want between and do all the climb/transitions sections soley at your own pace (and the descents too for that matter). The various stages get mixed a bit, depending on when you go in your particular CAT, but for the most part all CAT's stay together and if you do well on day one and in other races, you get to start in the front of your CAT (makes it good for minimizing/preventing having to pass others like what may happen on day 1). For the most part every one is chill and will let you skip in line if needed to stay with guys in your CAT. At Hood River, I was the first to go in CATII, but ended racing/riding with guys in the CAT I 40+ in front of me and only had to wait 3-5 minutes at most following transitions to start the next timed section. At Sandy/Mt. Hood, there were longer lines at each stage, but never had to wait more than 5-15 minutes max.

Yep, you pretty much have to race in your age group and if you think Cat II (19-39) is more competive than you like, than just go Cat 3 open as there is a good mix of riders of all ages and skill levels with still some fast riders and some novice. One thing that I noticed from Enduro compared to Super D, is that each CAT is a lot more stacked as well, with so much more competition throughout. For example the Open Pro was pretty much stacked for every race with phenom Enduro riders from around the western hemisphere coming out to participate.

Enduro events are definitely a lot of fun as they don't feel like you are racing the whole time, but rather riding sections when you want to ride hard or chill and take it all in with every stage if you choose to do so. Almost feels like just being out on a recreational ride with a bunch a people doing the same thing you love, but with your own descents (due to 1 minute intervals while trying to race against the clock) and get to chill and re-group some after each stage. Altogether, a great vibe and fun times that is more of an event than a race.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    sounds fun, I wanted to try one last year.... figured I would kill myself in the process though!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, jgusta, kind of what I was expecting to hear. I don't think I've read much negative about the enduro format.

Have you seen the Capitol Forest Enduro? Based on my experience riding in CF, the mileage and variety of trail could easily make this the premier enduro event.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 10-20-2012 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, jgusta, kind of what I was expecting to hear. I don't think I've read much negative about the enduro format.

Have you seen the Capitol Forest Enduro? Based on my experience riding in CF, the mileage and variety of trail could easily make this the premier enduro event.
    The only negative I can think of, is the poor reliability of the timing system the OR series uses for each stage as the top three open pro finishers times and placements at award ceremony were botched at Hood River and one of my stages wasn't recorded right at Sandy affecting my overall placement for the Sandy/Mt. Hood stages after the race and at the award ceremony. It's not always about the end result, but when you were suppose to win something cool due to how you did and the time and money you put into it and end up leaving empty handed when someone else leaves with some cool stuff (new fork, cool medal, top of podium standing) to find out a couple days later they made a mistake, kind of sucks (they did make it up to me with some left over certificates of cool stuff that I am still waiting to get).

Yep, wanted to get up there to do the Cap Forest Enduro this year as it is on all my favorite trails up there, but couldn't make it happen. It sounds like one big, fun day of riding for sure.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I rode the hood River enduro and totally loved the whole whole thing but never found out my standings. I was completely left off. What ever, I know I didn't place in top three anyway but would have been a nice thing to know. Anyway, I had an awesome time during the race and plan to race again next year.
    "Let the wheels spin."

Delay
    I'm glad you started this thread. I raced BMX as a kid and have fallen in live with mountain biking as an "adult".

I really wanted to race last year but couldn't due to arm surgery. I followed the races and was really bummed that physically it wasn't possible at the time.

It's my Fall/Winter goal to train for this 2013 race series. I ride a long travel Freeride/All-mountain bike that's not really built for this type of series but look forward to the challenge.

Any recommendations for training? I'm great with the downhill and good in the corners. Do you guys ride trails in the winter or train on indoor bikes? Maybe both?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    The only negative I can think of, is the poor reliability of the timing system the OR series uses for each stage as the top three open pro finishers times and placements at award ceremony were botched at Hood River and one of my stages wasn't recorded right at Sandy affecting my overall placement for the Sandy/Mt. Hood stages after the race and at the award ceremony. It's not always about the end result, but when you were suppose to win something cool due to how you did and the time and money you put into it and end up leaving empty handed when someone else leaves with some cool stuff (new fork, cool medal, top of podium standing) to find out a couple days later they made a mistake, kind of sucks (they did make it up to me with some left over certificates of cool stuff that I am still waiting to get).

Yep, wanted to get up there to do the Cap Forest Enduro this year as it is on all my favorite trails up there, but couldn't make it happen. It sounds like one big, fun day of riding for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    I rode the hood River enduro and totally loved the whole whole thing but never found out my standings. I was completely left off. What ever, I know I didn't place in top three anyway but would have been a nice thing to know. Anyway, I had an awesome time during the race and plan to race again next year.
    Wow, this is a bummer.

Jgusta, hopefully they come through for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delay1234 View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread. I raced BMX as a kid and have fallen in live with mountain biking as an "adult".

I really wanted to race last year but couldn't due to arm surgery. I followed the races and was really bummed that physically it wasn't possible at the time.

It's my Fall/Winter goal to train for this 2013 race series. I ride a long travel Freeride/All-mountain bike that's not really built for this type of series but look forward to the challenge.

Any recommendations for training? I'm great with the downhill and good in the corners. Do you guys ride trails in the winter or train on indoor bikes? Maybe both?
    First off, I'm probably not the best source for training advice, but I'd think fitness, skill and knowledge of the trail would be best for Enduro racing.

With the exception of riding to work, I don't ride much off road during the winter month. I do ski a bunch though. I have thought about getting a set of rollers for the winter. Anybody ever use them? Is it a good workout?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    First off, I'm probably not the best source for training advice, but I'd think fitness, skill and knowledge of the trail would be best for Enduro racing.

With the exception of riding to work, I don't ride much off road during the winter month. I do ski a bunch though. I have thought about getting a set of rollers for the winter. Anybody ever use them? Is it a good workout?
    My fast friends swear by them.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member

The Capital Forest Enduro was a blast. Well organized and well run. The transitions are longer with more climbs, so definitely more pedaling that the Enduro series races. I'm looking forward to next year's race.

Regarding categories, The cat 2 40+ group is actually very competitive and will become more so next year when a few of this season's 39 year old's join the grey beards. The category is also filled with really good guys, so while competitive, the crew is also fun to hang out with. A few of the guys were injured this year (myself included), which impacted the total number of riders each race. Also, the Sister's race is an outlier and is not representative of the category (that race was beyond lame and no one went. Those that did in other categories, including pros, said it was just plain bad. The trails may be fun to ride but are not race worthy.)

A suggestion for you would be to do the Jacksonville Shootout Super D and Dog River Enduro's in May as your 1st races to see which format you prefer and to test the race waters and see if it's your thing. Both are smaller, lower key races, but fun and competitive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    My fast friends swear by them.
    They sure seem like they'd be boring to ride though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    The Capital Forest Enduro was a blast. Well organized and well run. The transitions are longer with more climbs, so definitely more pedaling that the Enduro series races. I'm looking forward to next year's race.
    Capitol Forest has some excellent trails, I'm shooting for this race next season too.

Regarding categories, The cat 2 40+ group is actually very competitive and will become more so next year when a few of this season's 39 year old's join the grey beards. The category is also filled with really good guys, so while competitive, the crew is also fun to hang out with. A few of the guys were injured this year (myself included), which impacted the total number of riders each race. Also, the Sister's race is an outlier and is not representative of the category (that race was beyond lame and no one went. Those that did in other categories, including pros, said it was just plain bad. The trails may be fun to ride but are not race worthy.)
    Good to know about the 40+ catagory.

I was also wondering about the Sisters race. With the bad press, I wonder if they will hold another event on the trails next season?

A suggestion for you would be to do the Jacksonville Shootout Super D and Dog River Enduro's in May as your 1st races to see which format you prefer and to test the race waters and see if it's your thing. Both are smaller, lower key races, but fun and competitive.
    I've thought about the Dog River Race and the Jacksonville race sounds good, but May is prime ski season...Have to have priorities ya know.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I have a trainer in my garage that sees very little to no use over the years. I think I didn't even hop on it once last year which is a good thing and usually means I was getting outdoors and doing activities regularly to some capacity all year-round last year. Sometimes, when snow level is in the valley temporarily (I don't do winter sports anymore), the trainer is about all you got. Even in those situations, I rather play around with the kids outside whenever possible instead. I personally try my best to stay off of one all year round unless I am absolutely desperate or can't get outside at all and need to move. The only good a trainer is for, is keeping you from totally de-condition to some degree from inactivity when off the mt. bike and unable to do other activities for periods of time. I think one is always better off to try to stay on the mtb if you can. But, if you have to do a trainer, I would only do interval training with it and keep it under 30 minutes total time with warm-up and cool-down in the mix, rather then spend a lot of time on it at same pace (not any better than jogging, perhaps worse since you are using more muscle groups with jogging and is weight bearing activity to supplement riding to load the bones and joints some more)
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree with you. I do know one local who is very fast and strong. He gave up riding in the rain for a trainer. He says his training time is cut by 60% with better results. I could not do it without a cash incentive.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Delay
    I have what will be a silly question to most of you. Do you or the people you know that use trainers use your mountain bike? If you use your mountain bike do you keep everything set up the same (I.e. tires, suspension)?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on.

mtbr member
    Forget the rollers and trainer, which I have both of. Get yourself to spin class at your local gym!

I started that this year when I first signed up for the Oregon enduro and it was the best thing I ever did regarding my cycling/mtb bike fitness.

You're there with a group which helps the motivation and an instructor to help keep you on track.

Plus hot chicks.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    The Enduro series was downright awesome. Most laid back form of racing I have ever done. If you have the whole weekend to devote, and sometimes a couple days before if you want some practice runs, it is a LOT of riding and race time, for your money. One of the things I HATED about downhill racing, was lots of driving, a few practice runs, the 4-5 min of racing total, and done. Enduro is more like 5-7 short'ish downhill races in one weekend.

I talked with Devon recently and this season should be so much more refined. Better timing, deleting Sisters for a better venue, and some of the events will just be packed into one day.

Can't wait for Spring!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has Devon mentioned anything about the 2013 schedule? I need to plan ahead some time off to make more of the races next season.

Cannonball!
    Not at first, rollers were quite exciting. Never have I crashed so many times in my garage!

Cannonball!
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Has Devon mentioned anything about the 2013 schedule? I need to plan ahead some time off to make more of the races next season.
    Probably going to be some changes/additions to the schedule. Stand by for news!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am looking forward to giving this race series a try too, thanks for the info!!!

mtbr member
    I'm trying my hardest to find a job in OR, half just to ride this series. Stuck in the Midwest for another month, and trying to get going as an engineer. Hope to ride with y'all this next season.

As for training, that's a good note on spin class. Probably the best way to keep regular with it, and yeah...good scenery. I've used a trainer through winter, but it's hell. Really, really sucks. I haven't done any enduro racing yet; only xc. Looking forward to a new challenge!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @wheelock: PM sent.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    Forget the rollers and trainer, which I have both of. Get yourself to spin class at your local gym!

I started that this year when I first signed up for the Oregon enduro and it was the best thing I ever did regarding my cycling/mtb bike fitness.

You're there with a group which helps the motivation and an instructor to help keep you on track.

Plus hot chicks.
    +1, spin classes are where its at. Great for intervals and threshold training, lots of sweaty chicks in yoga pants... The music is usually pretty lame though, and so are the guys who wear grey socks and don't wash their lycra... Find an instructor that actually emulates a bike ride, not one of those phonies that wants to do jazzercise on pedals.

Other than that, I'd rather just through the fenders on the SS and do laps on Saltzman and FL5. 3 intervals up Saltzman, no rest at the top, hammer down 5 as hard as you can, recover on Leif back to Saltz. and do it again. 4 of those twice a week and you'll be on your way.

Other than that, rollers while watching classic CX worldcups (or smut...) in the basement is a decent time.
    No dice to the trainer.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast