Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I need to set a cycling goal for next summer to get my butt out and ride more. I'm thinking about signing up for the whole series.

Did anybody do any of the races this last summer? What did you think of the format? Was there a lot of standing around between the stages? Since the stages are timed and you have to ride to the next stage and ride at your own pace, Do the various categories end up getting mixed together? Any other thoughts?

And more of a general racing question...Do you have to race in your age group, or can you drop down? The 19-39 Cat 2 men look to be much more competitive than the 40+ Cat 2 men.
    FWIW, I boycotted the enduro series last year. I prefer the Super D format. If I wanted 3-5 minute race runs, I'd go back to racing DH. 20-30 minutes, all out as hard as you can go is where it's at. Maybe it favors the XC guys and the climbers, but big deal, it just motivates me to train harder. For me, racing is very personal. It's about testing myself, how close I can get to puking and crosseyed and still stay on the trail, not about who I can beat.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    FWIW, I boycotted the enduro series last year. I prefer the Super D format. If I wanted 3-5 minute race runs, I'd go back to racing DH. 20-30 minutes, all out as hard as you can go is where it's at. Maybe it favors the XC guys and the climbers, but big deal, it just motivates me to train harder. For me, racing is very personal. It's about testing myself, how close I can get to puking and crosseyed and still stay on the trail, not about who I can beat.
    I see where you are coming from, but did you try a race? Many of the stages were 10min+ and with the adrenaline = beyond winded. Added to that, the climbing between stages, and overall time on the bike, I would almost call a std super D less work.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Check out race day for the CAT1-PRO. Though most of it not timed, there was 2500' of climbing. The CAT2 and under got shuttled part way. Stage 7 was 7:30 and at the end of 2 days of maxing the heart rate often, I was bonking out. Lots of planning "with yourself" to even be able to push that hard for 2 days straight, plus practice if you want the day before. No shuttle for practice either in Sandy.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 13miles near Sandy | Times and Records | Strava
    Bend, Oregon

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I see where you are coming from, but did you try a race? Many of the stages were 10min+ and with the adrenaline = beyond winded. Added to that, the climbing between stages, and overall time on the bike, I would almost call a std super D less work.
    No, not this year. Early on I voiced my opinion against the new format. As soon as the course descriptions came out and saw all the segments I chose not to do it.

I'll race next year. Maybe they'll have the bugs worked out. I'm sure I'll still love it. There's just something to be said for racing for 30 minutes, having no idea where you stand, catching people and being caught, watching the times roll in.

Not to belittle it, but the Sandy race was just another day at the trail, by the looks of it, minus the uphill TT. Ride up, hammer down, do some laps. Repeat... I like to go super hard on the climb up. I think they should throw in TT to the top as the last run of the 1st day, on your race bike. Top 20% of each category get a time bonus overall. I have yet to beat 24 minutes to the top, which really isn't all that fast, probably no bonus for me...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Sounds like Cross or short track XC is more up your alley then. I wouldn't waste your time or dime if wanting at least 20-30 min races with timed climbs. Enduro is all about fun and going hard on the fun descents if you choose to. And yes, some stages are longer than others as the 1st stage at Mt. Hood was 15-20 minutes depending upon how fast you were going and you were taxed by the end even though it was mostly all down due to all the pedalling at the beggining 1/3 of the stage and end. Then, you still had 6 stages to go before the end of the "race" ranging from from 4-10 minutes each that still left you taxed if you went after it.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Stage one on mt hood was brutal! I think that one stage had me pooped for the whole day and the next. I always thought I was a decent rider until I raced enduro and instantly found out all of my flaws both on the bike and fitness. I can't wait for next year!

mtbr member
    We practiced Hood Stage 1, and stopped about 3 times through to look at lines. Finished practice and thought, "not bad a bit tiring the first 1/3rd then blast down the rest". Wrong! We knew the fast Glade trail section was gnarly, but we were fresh at the start of it in practice. Race day gassing out in that first 1/3rd, then bombing 30+mph down singletrack was HARD!

Here is Stage 1 on Strava. 16 min for me.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 11miles near Mt Hood Parkdale | Times and Records | Strava
    Bend, Oregon

industry employee
    Here are photos from the Hood part of the series:

2012 Oregon Enduro Finals - Mt Hood Sept. 8 (Saturday) - Mike Albright Photography

Sandy Ridge Day
    2012 Oregon Enduro Finals - Mt Hood / Sandy Ridge Sept. 9 (Sunday) - Mike Albright Photography

Thuren!

Jill Kintner playing around:

Josh Carlson - Elite Men's Champ.
    Last edited by mtbzone; 12-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Sounds like Cross or short track XC is more up your alley then. I wouldn't waste your time or dime if wanting at least 20-30 min races with timed climbs. Enduro is all about fun and going hard on the fun descents if you choose to. And yes, some stages are longer than others as the 1st stage at Mt. Hood was 15-20 minutes depending upon how fast you were going and you were taxed by the end even though it was mostly all down due to all the pedalling at the beggining 1/3 of the stage and end. Then, you still had 6 stages to go before the end of the "race" ranging from from 4-10 minutes each that still left you taxed if you went after it.
    I waded through 153 shots to see you in resplendent blue! Looks like folks had a good, but very dusty time. I love the guy going seatless.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2