Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Oregon Enduro for fun?

I'm better than average I think on the technical side but am one of the slowest of my group going up. I was thinking of doing some or all of the Enduro series as something to train for. I notice the pro cat is pretty fast with some excellent riders. I've never competed before, but me and a buddy are looking into this race.

How many are doing it just for fun? Looks like a blast, but I'm sure I won't be nowhere near the top.

Tactical Nightmare
    Hoban, I'm glad you asked this, because I have wondered the same thing actually. I would probably consider myself similar to your qualities in that I can keep up on the downs, but am a slower climber too. By all means, I am not saying that I would keep up on the downs with any of the good riders in the Enduro, but just keep up with other riders locally that I have ridden with. I'm sure I would get smoked out on the course, but it sounds like a fun way to get into some racing aspects of this sport.
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There typically isn't much if any timed climbs so you can walk if you really wanted to. If you think you are a good rider think again. Once you have the adrenaline of the race going your endurance will go down the tube unless you are really fit or have trained for that type of riding. I thought I was a pretty good rider till I raced enduro and very quickly found out all of my week points and realized that I pretty much suck compared to the top guys out there. If you can accept that and it sound like fun then hell ya! It's one of the most fun things I have ever done on a bike and I plan to hit as many races as I can this season.
    Give it a try, unless you are going for the top prize in your class, you are really only racing yourself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The races are fun and it's a great way to experience a new side of riding, so you should definitely go for it. But don't be surprised or bummed if your times dont match up to the pros and Cat I racers. It requires a lot of training, practice, and racing to compete at an elite level. But the best thing about enduro is that it really is fun for everyone.

mtbr member
    Oh I have no expectations on being fast, I just don't want to be "in the way" of the fast guys. What category would I start in? Sport or beginner?

I'm excited!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You don't really need to worry about being in the way too much. They space the start times by two minutes so you might only catch one rider or be caught once. It's no big deal just pull over and let them by.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    You don't really need to worry about being in the way too much. They space the start times by two minutes so you might only catch one rider or be caught once. It's no big deal just pull over and let them by.
    Nothing stings like being passed on a downhill. It sure happens though.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Nothing stings like being passed on a downhill. It sure happens though.
    Getting passed on a downhill doesn't bother me because if I get passed while descending, I know I'm being passed by a really, REALLY good descender.

Kindly note the smiley.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Tactical Nightmare
    Thank you guys for the tips and pointers for sure. I just wanted to make sure that an event like this is somewhat newb friendly. By all means, I am not a newb from a general riding standpoint, but as far as racing goes? My last race on a bike would have been in about 1985 on my BMX bike!

When looking at the event profiles and the distance and all that, I think I could do it and have fun. But, when watching some of the vids of these races, it is really intimidating! These guys are bad ass! I know on the vids they like to show the pros and not the entry level guys, but holy crap they are fast! I guess I just wanted to make sure that someone without the race experience would be welcomed, to a point, at an event like this.

Thanks again all! Oh, and I'm sure the only way I won't get passed......is if I go last.
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Getting passed on a downhill doesn't bother me because if I get passed while descending, I know I'm being passed by a really, REALLY good descender.

Kindly note the smiley.

--sParty
    I am just glad your around. Always appreciated up here!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Hell yeah do it for fun!!!!

Pro class is pretty competitive, and that trickles down into the top 20 or so Cat1(Expert now), but even the top Pro's are having a BLAST and good times. Nothing to stress about it IS all fun. Lots of time on the bike, with lots of room for mistakes. Super laid back, as racing goes.

Another thing... The age classes seem really wide, but it does not seem to matter on race day. I'm 38 and was kinda stressing racing Cat1, with not a lot of cardio years, but I could usually manage top half in the field. I would say 90% of the people in front of me were in their mid-late 30's too! Bike handling skill, keeping a level head, and moderate cardio fitness, is what makes you do well in Enduro.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    I did the Sandy Ridge race last year just to see what it was all about. I did not go in expecting to win anything and had a great time. If you are over 40, I would suggest cat 2 40+. If you are under 40, cat 2 or open may end up with similar results.

The best thing about the race was the people. Everyone was really nice and the whole event had a laid back feel to it. Overall it was a good experience, but I confirmed the fact that I am not a racer...
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Hell yeah do it for fun!!!!

Pro class is pretty competitive, and that trickles down into the top 20 or so Cat1(Expert now), but even the top Pro's are having a BLAST and good times. Nothing to stress about it IS all fun. Lots of time on the bike, with lots of room for mistakes. Super laid back, as racing goes.

Another thing... The age classes seem really wide, but it does not seem to matter on race day. I'm 38 and was kinda stressing racing Cat1, with not a lot of cardio years, but I could usually manage top half in the field. I would say 90% of the people in front of me were in their mid-late 30's too! Bike handling skill, keeping a level head, and moderate cardio fitness, is what makes you do well in Enduro.

Thanks Thuren, this makes me feel more confident. I'm excited! I've only raced buddies to the beer cooler.

I'm 33 and thinking of the Sport class in my age group (19-39). I hope I'm a touch more than the beginner class, but then I'm probably wrong.

Thanks all, and hope to meet you up there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Thanks Thuren, this makes me feel more confident. I'm excited! I've only raced buddies to the beer cooler.

I'm 33 and thinking of the Sport class in my age group (19-39). I hope I'm a touch more than the beginner class, but then I'm probably wrong.

Thanks all, and hope to meet you up there!
    If you have a Garmin(or iPhone or Android), you could find some local descents on Strava, and sort of match yourself up. If it's a popular descent, I bet a lot of the people are racers, and you can kinda match yourself up.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Totally newb friendly, as are almost all mtb races. I've run a sweep on the High Cascades 100 in Bend the last couple of years and you would be shocked at some of the people that show up. Last year, the first guy I ran into was on a very basic 6-7 year old trek with toeclips. He was not particularly fit and he told me that it was his first time ever on a mountain bike. He had done a century on a road bike earlier that year and wanted to try a mountain bike race, so he decided to jump in with both feet. He ended up stopping at mile 45, and I told him how amazing it was to get even that far. You can really meet some great people at the back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    How many are doing it just for fun? Looks like a blast, but I'm sure I won't be nowhere near the top.
    In the name of FUN is the best approach to go about these "races"/events instead of soley focussing on your performance and the competition, because you are more than likely going to be dissapointed with your outcome by the later approach since there will always be guys who will be faster there. I have found by just focusing on the experience and FUN by approaching the stages similar to how you like to normally ride, you are likely to have better results and overall experience than just focusing on times and placement. I haven't done many mtb races, but can say Enduro is definitely a chilled racing environment (why it is so appealing to many as well) as people are going at different times and doing the rides at their own pace. I found the only stage to really fret was the start of the first stage as that is the only one in which you have to be at the start at a certain posted time after a climb and/or transition shuttle to get to the start. After that, it's all good times while doing each ride/stage at your own level.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    99% of us race for fun. I have never been paid to race and never will...just do it. I have found no one really cares where you place in these races....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post

Kindly note the smiley.

--sParty
    Think of it this way too, if you get passed your time will end up likely being faster than it would have been otherwise. don't know about you guys but i'm always faster when i get to follow someone that is a better descender than I am.

mtbr member
    I did the Hood River part of the Oregon Enduro last year. It was my first bike race ever and it was amazing fun. I only cared about not coming in last and I didn't. I'm a very strong climber so that helped a ton as I blew up those portions but my cornering lacks a lot. Anyway, tons of fun I plan to do it again this year! Anyone even considering it should too!
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm not much for climbing, and I'm one of the last guys down when I'm riding with a group, but I'm gonna do a few of them, It seems like a good time, and I'd like to know how good I'm doing, basically competing with my self.

Anyone know if there is Hard Tail class? I know some DH races did like the Gravity East.

mtbr member
    No separate HT class - that said, there's a number of folks who raced on HT's last year, some riding single speed. Ride what you like and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The bend race would be fun on a hard tail for sure. I did see a few HT's last year and one guy was placing better than me. Not so sure what that says about my meager riding skills.
    I plan on racing the whole series this year. It's going to be a blast!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sounds fun, I'll be the pudgy Sasquatch on a red Sasquatch!

mtbr member
    Glad I found this thread. So I entered the Sandy race and it will be my first race ever. I noticed it said, full face helmet recommended. Is that more for the day at Mt. Hood ? I've never ridden that trail but will try to ride it before the race, not even sure where it is actually. I've ridden everything at sandy but never wear a FF helmet.
    I also noticed in videos not alot of people wearing hydration packs. I'm planning on wearing mine, 70oz., and wondering if they have refill stations if its a long day.
    One last thing, I havent received any info about start times or anything. Do they send you info. about that ? I guess I can contact them on that one.
    Thanks. Any tips or suggestions for a first timer appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Start times will be posted on their web page at about 2am before the race if the stars align and the fat lady sings. Or not at all. They are suppose to post them by 8pm the night before but it has yet to happen. Sometimes there are water stations between one or two stages but I wouldn't count on refilling a hydration pack at one. Once they run out thats it, so its nice to leave some for other racers. Most of the pics you see of people not wearing hydration packs are pics of the pro riders. Obviously they are in better shape than many of us. I do race without one myself usually but I can generally take it. Having a pack is nice if you are prone to mechanical problems. The FF helmet is recommended at all races but usually not required. They required them for the Camas race but you would be stupid to wear a normal lid at that place. I would wear whatever helmet makes you feel comfortable. If you are new to racing you might find that with the race speed, fatigue, and everything else that you normally don't have on casual rides, you might crash a lot more than normal. I know some seasoned fast racers that crash more often than not. If you aren't pushing it to that limit you aren't competing usually. With that said a full face is not a bad idea but it might be worth the risk to you.

The mt. Hood race is no harder or any more technical than the sandy race. There was one section last year that was about a mile of gnarly high speed rock. A lot of people chose a full face for that race but if you are a confident rider you should be fine. The rest of the trails up there are typical alpine fast single track.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast