Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I wear a full face at most races now, if there is limited pedaling, or any high speed dangerous sections. I just strap it to my pack for the transfer stages.

Seen too many thrashed faces at these races.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    1st place: Your friends say "Holy sh*t that is awesome, let me buy you a beer!"

Last place: Your friends say "Holy sh*t that sucks, let my buy you a few beers!"

One of those is better than the other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Start times will be posted on their web page at about 2am before the race if the stars align and the fat lady sings. Or not at all. They are suppose to post them by 8pm the night before but it has yet to happen. Sometimes there are water stations between one or two stages but I wouldn't count on refilling a hydration pack at one. Once they run out thats it, so its nice to leave some for other racers. Most of the pics you see of people not wearing hydration packs are pics of the pro riders. Obviously they are in better shape than many of us. I do race without one myself usually but I can generally take it. Having a pack is nice if you are prone to mechanical problems. The FF helmet is recommended at all races but usually not required. They required them for the Camas race but you would be stupid to wear a normal lid at that place. I would wear whatever helmet makes you feel comfortable. If you are new to racing you might find that with the race speed, fatigue, and everything else that you normally don't have on casual rides, you might crash a lot more than normal. I know some seasoned fast racers that crash more often than not. If you aren't pushing it to that limit you aren't competing usually. With that said a full face is not a bad idea but it might be worth the risk to you.

The mt. Hood race is no harder or any more technical than the sandy race. There was one section last year that was about a mile of gnarly high speed rock. A lot of people chose a full face for that race but if you are a confident rider you should be fine. The rest of the trails up there are typical alpine fast single track.
    What Brandon said, and if you finish all stages in a enduro race with no crashes or mechanicals than you are quite fortunate and highly succeeded regardless of how you placed. I have had only one of those this past year and it was a rarity, but sure felt good, especially since I rode all stages as hard as I possibly could with no/minimal error.

Ride with whatever you are most comfortable in/on. Last year at Mt. Hood/Sandy, seems like about 1/3 of riders wore FF. Whereas, none of the pros did, I believe. I went back forth with FF myself, mainly for the 1-mile section on Hood (mid/lower Glade trail) that is mostly loose, fast, steepish, sandy rock chute. I ended up going XC lid and glad I did so I could pull in some air for all the other pedally sections on that stage and it was a +15 min lung/body bursting stage at full throttle. But, it only takes one bad spill to ruin your day, month, year, life or face for that matter. Pre-ride with both and see what you think, that is what I did last year and I still crashed, fortunately in a mellow area from blowing a turn up top, but enough to tear up my knee pads and knees underneath
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. everyone, appreciate it. Looking foward to my first race and meeting some cool peeps to ride with.

mtbr member
    BTW does anyone have a link, or some directions, to the mt hood trails where the race will be ?
    I'd like to check them out before the race. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Jgusta can probably help you out with trail names. I think he is on a riding vacation till after the weekend. From what I remember it starts right below timberline lodge on timberline to town trail. Then when the trail intersects the glade trail you take a right and bomb down the rocky glade trail for about a mile. From there I want to say it gets onto the cross town trail and parallels hwy 26 for a bit and ends at the FS rd that I can't remember. Clear as mud???? Oregon enduro will post up a trail description usually 7 to 4 days before the race. They might not even run the same course as last year and the stages will likely differ a little.

mtbr member
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the mileage of the races, or how long it took you you to complete. I know everyones fitness levels may differ, just curious. I've been doing 12-15 miles on my rides at sandy to prepare, including the paved road up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the mileage of the races, or how long it took you you to complete. I know everyones fitness levels may differ, just curious. I've been doing 12-15 miles on my rides at sandy to prepare, including the paved road up.
    Total mileage and overall time of descending stages isn't that much, usually about 25-35 min total time is all. It's just when you are doing the timed descending stages, it is typically full throttle from start to finish, much akin to interval training. Most of the untimed transition sections are fairly short as well, 1-3 miles and can pretty much takes as long as you want to do those.

The best way to prepare is simply to do all the climb sections at usual, mellow pace and ride the descents as fast as you can without letting up on the pedalling sections. At Sandy last year, the first stage was top of CB to end of fun descending section of QPF, transition climb from backside of QPF to top of Two Turntables, race stage down to intersection with Hide and Seek before bridge, transition to road and up to top of rock drop, race down rock drop/jump line to upper hide and seek to just before bridge, transition to start of lower Hide and Seek, race stage down to parking lot. Stages might be a bit different this year with the addition of the new trails and should make for an interesting Enduro if that is the case. I rode Follow the Leader tonight, and a bit of a different animal with the rocks and trails a bit wet (ups the tech challenge). The recent rain did definitely do the trails some good as it rained more there than in the valley.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. Think I'll try that loop tomorrow. Glad the trails got some much needed rain. I had a hard time with FTL when it was dry, must be nasty after some rain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2