mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Oregon Coast Trails

I'm going to be near Rockaway Beach for Thanksgiving and I'm looking for some nearby mountain biking. The closest thing I've found so far is the Wilson River area, which is about an hour away. Ideally I'd find something that was closer to the beach and less of a drive. Any ideas? Doesn't have to be amazing, just need to get a little bit of exercise after a lot of over-eating.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The western trailhead of the Wilson River trail (Keenig Creek) is only 17 miles from Tillamook so roughly about 35 minutes from rockaway beach. Worth the drive. The only other MTB rides on the coast that I've heard about involve not much more than exploring random forest logging roads (RD 38555 up to Neahkanie Mtn is mentioned in some guidebooks) but, to be honest, most of the coastal trails are better experienced in running/hiking shoes.
    Last edited by perrygeo; 11-11-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by perrygeo View Post
    most of the coastal trails are better experienced in running/hiking shoes.
    That's been my experience too. The trails I've been on were steep, rugged, and not conducive to bike flow.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Many years ago I rode the trail out to the tip of Cape Lookout. That's just a little south of Tillamook. It was pretty cool but does have some crazy cliff edge exposure near the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Oswald West State Park has some enjoyable singletrack. not a ton of it, but what is legal is fun w/ views. It connects to other trails. 16 miles from Rockaway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Are any of the trails at Oswald West open to bikes?

mtbr member
    Cape Mt., and Cape Perpetua south of Yachets are the best riding on the Oregon coast.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, I love Cummins Creek. It's too bad the north coast doesn't have anything like that. There's nothing like climbing great singletrack to ridge-top ocean views, or bombing down a trail and rolling on to the beach.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cummins Creek is super fun and has one of the gnarliest chutes ever right at bottom before you hit the highway, but it's pretty far south of you. I just checked Oswald West SP and doesn't look like they allow bikes at all on singletrack anymore.