Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Oregon coast riding, done in poor taste.

Found these 2 links of a few guys from up north poaching and building trails on the Oregon Coast. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is Cape Ferrelo a few miles north of Brookings, and not on private land or multi use trails as they claim in the comments on the Vimeo link.

Link from bikemag

Vimeo link

The Oregon segment is at about 8 minutes in.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Anybody like to prove me wrong.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I can see how mountain biking gets a bad rep.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Looks good to me

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Found these 2 links of a few guys from up north poaching and building trails on the Oregon Coast. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is Cape Ferrelo a few miles north of Brookings, and not on private land or multi use trails as they claim in the comments on the Vimeo link.

Link from bikemag

Vimeo link

The Oregon segment is at about 8 minutes in.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Anybody like to prove me wrong.

We may all get a bad name as our trails continue to get closed.

Healing nations.
    Taste is subjective, I suppose. All I saw was beautiful photography and respectful enjoyment of our God-given planet. No abuse or desecration. Nice vid, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras Trent
    Taste is subjective, I suppose. All I saw was beautiful photography and respectful enjoyment of our God-given planet. No abuse or desecration. Nice vid, thanks!

Isn't there wind and rain on the Oregon coast? Who is going to maintain the erosion? They and their shovels will be long gone back home. Isn't it a little irresponsible to build trails and not be concerned about runoff and erosion? Maybe they made arrangements with locals to maintain the area, but I doubt it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Noobi-Wan Kenobi
    Isn't there wind and rain on the Oregon coast? Who is going to maintain the erosion? They and their shovels will be long gone back home. Isn't it a little irresponsible to build trails and not be concerned about runoff and erosion? Maybe they made arrangements with locals to maintain the area, but I doubt it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I would worry about urban sprawl and other potential negative impacts on the environment but a few guys jumping around on some trails is less than worriesome to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras Trent
    I agree with you that taste is subjective for sure, but what I believe these guys are doing is not respectful and is abusive...If indeed I am right, that this is the place I am thinking of, bikes aren't allowed there.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    You people are rediculous!!!! Instead of instantly being negative, and finding fault for something you don't have a clue about; Maybe you should do some research! The crew from the show Stund put out a statement, saying the footage shot on the Oregon coast was either on private land, or on multi use trails (mountain bikes are included in this). They have done absolutely NOTHING wrong!!!! You should maybe be a little more informed before you go assuming, like the above comments!
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    You people are rediculous!!!! Instead of instantly being negative, and finding fault for something you don't have a clue about; Maybe you should do some research! The crew from the show Stund put out a statement, saying the footage shot on the Oregon coast was either on private land, or on multi use trails (mountain bikes are included in this). They have done absolutely NOTHING wrong!!!! You should maybe be a little more informed before you go assuming, like the above comments!

I'd hold off on criticizing or defending without facts. Does Old House Man really know the location isn't private? Should we believe a vague statement from the crew (I don't think there are any multi use trails around Bandon with those kinda ocean views) that doesn't tell you anything that can be verified? I'd prefer that they list the specific trails used, or provide some evidence that this was private land.

With all that said, I don't see them causing any real damage to the land(assuming they did some repairs and tore down the kickers they built) but it doesn't set a good example if they were poaching and building illegally.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick

Well, I watched the video again and I still think they're irresponsible. They were digging with shovels on the side of a hill that already had a lot of erosion damage. Like saying "Oh, there's already damage here, let's do some more. We don't live around here anyway. Don't worry, the video will be great."

It doesn't matter whose land it is. If they made arrangements to have someone monitor/maintain the damaged area or if that process was already in place, I will retract my statements. But I still doubt it.

You suggest I do some research...well it's right there on the video. Bottom line...I don't care what you think.
    Last edited by Noobi-Wan Kenobi; 12-06-2009 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I can say with 100% confidence that this is Samuel H Boardman State Park, Cape Ferrelo.

Note, in the Vimeo video at exactly 8:56 to 8:57 the parking/drive/loop trail off of the paved area. Now look at the link I have provided.

Samuel H Boardman State Park

And the link to the Park
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 12-06-2009 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's the Google Earth image...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oregon coast riding, done in poor taste.-samuel-h-boardman-state-park.jpg  

VP/ Terrain Designer
    I recieved an e-mail directly from a person who helped show the crew around, and organized where they could ride and build. They rode on one multi use trail (No, I didn't get a name), and everything else was shot on private land (the person who e-mailed me is a relative of said property owner). I'm trying not to be pessimistic; but I suppose they could have been dishonest to me. What ever, I'm over it yesterday! Sorry about sharing the info I received.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    I would just like to think that riders of that caliber, and in the spot light; would portray a possitive image of mountain bikers. Weather the info I got was truthfull, or not; its hardly worth wasting the time and energy, to criticise these riders or the show they were on. I see kids building bigger jumps all over public and private land in Bend, than they did on that private peice of land in that webisode in question. My 2 cents, hope I didn't offend anyone

mtbr member
    Another view of Samuel H Boardman State Park. This one is about the same angle of the Vimeo video at 8:56 - 8:57.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oregon coast riding, done in poor taste.-samuel-h-boardman.jpg  

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Ok then

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh well, here it goes. I was gonna stay out, but.....

The first two places are also poached in from what I know. Not 100% sure about Luke's place but I know enough to make me leery. Sure, it ends at his place, but...
    Two Seven is on DNR or FS land and they know it's there and have walked it but figure if they tear that one down, another one will pop up someplace else so they just left it to quell the proliferation. Hardly legal though.

This isn't to say that I've never been familiar with participating on some similar efforts over the years. Just got the feeling these "pros" don't ever worry about land ownership or associated issues...

Transition is great though.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Agreed

I got nothin'

Take home message

I think the take home message here is that we, as a mountain bike community, are very sensitive about renegade trail building. I not saying what they did was illegal, they may have had permission, just saying the with the loss of trails with the recent Wilderness Bill, threatened loss of the Scappoose trail system due to illegal building, reduction of trails at Syncline, illegal building in Tillamook Forest, etc. The issue of renegade trail building causes those of us that deal with land managers a lot of heart burn.

We need to do what we can as a community to insure that we keep our current trails and work to build new ones to suit varying riding styles and abilities in a sustainable way. I think that means we need to question stuff like we see in that video.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

VP/ Terrain Designer
    I do agree with the above statement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    man, i'm going to be moving up there (oregon) in several months and it sucks to see i'm going to have to deal with the same crap there too. hopefully oregon's idea of a mtnbike trail isn't the same as socal's 4' wide, less than 2% grade, and wheelchair accessable.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by danlorek
    man, i'm going to be moving up there (oregon) in several months and it sucks to see i'm going to have to deal with the same crap there too. hopefully oregon's idea of a mtnbike trail isn't the same as socal's 4' wide, less than 2% grade, and wheelchair accessable.
    As for rogue trailbuilding, this thread is about an isolated incident.

As for real deal singletrack -- 12" wide or less -- you're coming to the right place. I remember back a few years when an MTBR buddy who was planning to contest the Cream Puff came up from SoCal to do a training ride with us. This was a loooooong training ride, and all day he kept hitting his pedals on roots & stumps right next to the trail that were hidden by the giant, prehistoric ferns. He had not yet learned to keep his wheels in the center of the trail. You've got to do that out here... the trails are narrow and danger lurks.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by danlorek
    . hopefully oregon's idea of a mtnbike trail isn't the same as socal's 4' wide, less than 2% grade, and wheelchair accessable.
    That's mostly isolated to the MRT.

Illegal building is almost everywhere...just not as high profile as say CA or CO, etc. Good thing it's not reached Lane County though...cough, cough.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Illegal building is almost everywhere...just not as high profile as say CA or CO, etc. Good thing it's not reached Lane County though...cough, cough.
    Haha. The other thing that helps out trails in Lane Co. is lack of riders once it gets wet, otherwise the trails would be worked over pretty quick- and people do a lot of maintenance.

I think mountain biking is a bit of a niche sport or there would be better infrastructure and less rogue trails.

Free ride looks fun- if I could keep from peeing myself.

Making fat cool since '71
    Dood, I'm back on bike after my little 3+ month surgery/rehab stint...once I put my "big" bike back together let's go to BlackRock...if it's a little wet nobody will know you peed yourself...let's go!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast