Thread: oregon bound

cindyfatso1959
    Sep 2005

oregon bound

i apologize in advance if info is already out there .... the group has decided on bend (and surrounding area) for this years mtb trip ... top 5 or so trails ? we plan on epic trail days .... is the area single speed friendly ? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyfatso1959
    i apologize in advance if info is already out there .... the group has decided on bend (and surrounding area) for this years mtb trip ... top 5 or so trails ? we plan on epic trail days .... is the area single speed friendly ? thanks

Most of the terrain in Bend is SS friendly. The high lakes area is a great place to ride in early fall, but understand that there is a small window between great trail-tread conditions and when the snow flies. The Lemish Lake, Charlton Lake loop is great, but I would recommend purchasing a map and researching the trails up there as it is easy to get lost due to multiple trail junctions. Waldo Lake is another great ride. Driving to the trailhead from Bend takes about an hour and a half away, but well worth the drive. Paulina Peak/Rim trail is another good ride with beautiful views of the Cascade Range as well as amazing vistas of Newberry Crater. Trails closer to Bend. There are multiple rides you can do right from town which can extend up into the high lakes (ie 7000+ of elevation gain), with a gravity assisted ride back to town totaling 35-50+ miles depending on the course your take. In all reality, if you haven't been to the Bend area to ride either find a local to guide you, or hire a local guiding service to guide you on your "epic" ride or rides, and get tips on more local rides from your guides for multiple days of riding in the central oregon area.

Check out the link for trip planning and ideas.

www.cogwild.com

Cheers,
    BFE

mtbr member
    Thanks Big Fat for the link! We just had a few groups doing similar things, friends and clients and here is the schedule I would recommend, in no order either:

1. Newberry Crater
    2. Shuttle ride from Bachelor to Bend, can easily do this a minimum of twice on completely different and fantastic rides. I would recommend the Flagline way down and also the Mrazek way down.
    3. Charlton/Lemish Loop
    4. McKenzie River Trail

There are smart ways to ride the trails to get the most out of them. I would recommend a shuttle drop at Bachelor and MRT trail. For options 1 & 3, you can ride yourself since they are both loops, or use a guide. We do offer guiding on these trails. Same goes for option 2, spend some of the day searching the map or ride with us and flow.... your choice. Cog is the only local guide company and all our guides are local and help maintain the trails.

Great choice coming to Bend, you will have a fantastic time, and the local beer waiting for you at the end of the ride rocks too!!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

it means 'no problem'
    If you're going to be here over the weekend of Oct. 16 - 18, just sign up for the Bend's Big Fat Tour and let us plan the rides and food for you. It's a good value for three days of riding.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey