Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Oregon beer thread

I know there is a beer forum on MTBR, but come on, who does it better that Oregon brewers?

What do you like? Where are they? List you Favorites...

Mine...

Ninkasi - at the top of my list for sure, and the Oatis just rocks. Sleighr is a good one too.

Fort George - February was Stout month and they had 6 stouts on tap. How can you not love this place.

HUB - Cool place, love the beer and food's excellent too.

Lompoc - I'm really getting into these guys. They've really stepped it up and are bottling some great beers. C-Note, Batch 69 Baltic Porter, Special Draft and the Monster Mash that came out around Halloween was excellent. Plus, How can you go wrong with $2.50 pints on various days of the week.

Deschutes - These guys really went all out with the place in NW Portland, the food is great and I like that they are brewing here in town.

Walking Man - My all time favorite place to stop after a ride in the Gorge.

Silver Moon - I've never been to their location but what I've had bottled is really good.

Terminal Gravity - These guys have my all time favorite Stout, wish they would bottle it.

Some other places worth mentioning that I like...

Laurelhust - Portland
    Alameda - Portland
    Roots - Portland
    Barley Brown - Baker City
    Eliot Glacier - Parkdale
    Fearless Brewing - Estacada
    Lucky Lab - Portland
    Southern Oregon Brewing - Medford
    Pelican Brewery - Pacific City
    Full Sail - Hood River
    Mt Hood Brewing - Government Camp

This is by no means a comprehensive list, it's just what I like and a few places I've been.

Oregon Brewers Guild
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

ronbo613
    Walking Man - My all time favorite place to stop after a ride in the Gorge.
    Technically; Stevenson is in Washington; but we just call it the "Gorge". Only difference is the tax-free gas and groceries across the river. Walking Man is the best. Stop by on a weekend afternoon; half the vehicles have mountain bikes on them.
    Terminal Gravity
    Think they have this at Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon. They have their own beers on tap as well as guest brews. This is my hometown pub; there's great riding around here; but please don't be a horse's a** and you'll have a great time. Small town; small town values.
    Double Mountain Brewery; it's the local's pub in Hood River. When the wind's blowing and it's a nice day; kiters, sailboarders and bikers come here. Nice place to have a beer and watch the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic criterium.
    Deschutes
    My favorite bottled beer. Inversion or Mirror Pond when it's on sale at Safeway for $12.99 a twelver.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I know there is a beer forum on MTBR, but come on, who does it better that Oregon brewers?

. . .

This is by no means a comprehensive list, it's just what I like and a few places I've been.

Oregon Brewers Guild

Great topic! I love Oregon Beer and have had the pleasure of working with some great brewers. Unfortunately I didn't get to work in the brewery, but toiled over the stove and grill instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Technically; Stevenson is in Washington; but we just call it the "Gorge".
    Got me there, should have done some fact checking.

I'll have to stop by Everybody's Brewing next time I'm out there, would love to find the Terminal Gravity stout a little closer to Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Great topic! I love Oregon Beer and have had the pleasure of working with some great brewers. Unfortunately I didn't get to work in the brewery, but toiled over the stove and grill instead.
    Some of these places have some pretty damn good food too.

Let's roll.
    House, you should definitely try 10 Barrel's Brewing. They brew in Bend, but they're bottling 22oz and pouring around PDX from what I hear. They signature beer is the Apocalypse Black IPA. Sounds weird, but very tasty stuff. Malty, hoppy goodness.

Ninkasi Tricerahops and Total Domination are outstanding. I like Deschutes' limited Bond Street offerings (Hop Trip, Hop Henge, Black Butte XXI, Abyss, Mirror Mirror), and really love their Red Chair. Hoppy with sweet finish...a very unique IPA. Hair of the Dog makes some fine brew, too. Their Blue Spot Double IPA in phenomenal. Walking Man's **** Erectus is a great beer, but it's hard to find in Bend. Hopworks IPA and DOA are great. Lompoc makes fantastic beer. Their C-note and LSD are my favorite, and I'm happy to see they're starting to bottle. Terminal Gravity's IPA, ESB and ESG are all great. Widmer lost their edge, but their 84 Double Alt is very good, as is their W10 Seasonal Black IPA. Good stuff. I also like Full Sail's Amber and Sessions, both great post ride beers.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

meatier showers
    I'm a member of Team Ninkasi / Disciples of Dirt this year so what can I say?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    House, you should definitely try 10 Barrel's Brewing. They brew in Bend, but they're bottling 22oz and pouring around PDX from what I hear. They signature beer is the Apocalypse Black IPA. Sounds weird, but very tasty stuff. Malty, hoppy goodness.

Ninkasi Tricerahops and Total Domination are outstanding. I like Deschutes' limited Bond Street offerings (Hop Trip, Hop Henge, Black Butte XXI, Abyss, Mirror Mirror), and really love their Red Chair. Hoppy with sweet finish...a very unique IPA. Hair of the Dog makes some fine brew, too. Their Blue Spot Double IPA in phenomenal. Walking Man's **** Erectus is a great beer, but it's hard to find in Bend. Hopworks IPA and DOA are great. Lompoc makes fantastic beer. Their C-note and LSD are my favorite, and I'm happy to see they're starting to bottle. Terminal Gravity's IPA, ESB and ESG are all great. Widmer lost their edge, but their 84 Double Alt is very good, as is their W10 Seasonal Black IPA. Good stuff. I also like Full Sail's Amber and Sessions, both great post ride beers.
    Haven't seen 10 Barrels in Portland and as far as Black IPA's go, I'm 50/50 on what I've tried. The Deschutes offering was very nice, but the Black IPA I had at Barley Browns in Baker City was the tuffest beer I've ever had to choke down.

Agree with you on Widmer, them and Bridgeport just don't do it for me.

I do like the Bond Street offerings from Deschutes, not something I like to drink a 22ozer by myself, but all very good.

mtbr member
    Thank you sir, may I have another?

mtbr member
    Next time you're heading out this way, let us know. Ronbo & I live in the Gorge & would be happy to meet you for a ride & some apres brews.

Live 2 Ride
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Known Mountainbiker
    I like Ninkasi and I don't care what you like.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This is going to be more difficult than asking 'what is your favorite trail'.

I've been pretty stoked on Ninkasi lately.

Let's roll.
    Haven't seen 10 Barrels in Portland and as far as Black IPA's go, I'm 50/50 on what I've tried. The Deschutes offering was very nice, but the Black IPA I had at Barley Browns in Baker City was the tuffest beer I've ever had to choke down.

Agree with you on Widmer, them and Bridgeport just don't do it for me.

I do like the Bond Street offerings from Deschutes, not something I like to drink a 22ozer by myself, but all very good.
    Black IPAs are tricky, for sure. I tried the Hopworks Black IPA in bottle form a few weekends ago and wasn't too hot on it. Then a friend of mine went to the brewery and reported that it was fantastic on draft. I will say that Bridgeport set the standard for a balanced IPA, but was quickly surpassed by other breweries who caught onto the hop explosion, creating double, imperial and now black IPA. If you find yourself in NW, stop by Bridgeport and get the cask IPA. It's surprisingly good without the excess carbonation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    I think you are getting their beers mixed up. They have the Sinistor which is the black ale and Apocalypse which is a NW style IPA. I have seen the Sinistor pop up in stores but I have yet to see the Apocalypse. It is too bad as the Apocalypse is outstanding. I highly agree with Andy's recommendation.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Let's roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    I think you are getting their beers mixed up. They have the Sinistor which is the black ale and Apocalypse which is a NW style IPA. I have seen the Sinistor pop up in stores but I have yet to see the Apocalypse. It is too bad as the Apocalypse is outstanding. I highly agree with Andy's recommendation.
    Yep, you're right. I got them mixed up. The good news is that you can't go wrong with either.

Obviously Single
    Time spent enumerating beers is time that could be spent on the much more satisfying past time of drinking them.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Keep Singletrack Single
    Personally, I am partial to Laurelwood, Bridgeport, Deschutes, 10 Barrell, and Silver Moon for Oregon brews... They all make good stuff. 10 Barrell has really impressed me. They even opened a brew pub here in Bend on Galveston. Perfect location for after rides!! We are lucky to live in OR.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm pretty much hooked on Black Butte. I never really enjoyed an IPA until I had a Terminal Gravity.

ronbo613
    I can't wait for Oprah to come on so I can have a beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    TG - IPA (although the stout is fantastic if you happen to be in Enterprise)
    Ninkasi - both Tricerahops and Total Domination are great
    Walking Man - **** Erectus (not in Oregon, but anything in the gorge should be considered as Oregon

mtbr member

What do you like? Where are they? List you Favorites...
    Whichever one Randy is buying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just picked up a barrel of Jabberwocky from Walkabout in Central Point

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon
    Next time you're heading out this way, let us know. Ronbo & I live in the Gorge & would be happy to meet you for a ride & some apres brews.

Will do, I'm in ski mode now and will be for at least another month till the trails start drying out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Whichever one Randy is buying.

What's he buying this year?

mtbr member
    Just got back from Hopworks, had the Session Black IPA and two 7 Grain Stouts.

ronbo613
    Will do, I'm in ski mode now and will be for at least another month till the trails start drying out.
    Three straight days of powder; I hear ya.
    Try to call in sick Monday and head up the hill. With Daylight Savings Time; you can ski 'till lunch; go for a ride and hit Double Mountain before it gets dark.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast