mtbr member
    Aug 2007

One ride in Bend-suggestions?

Visiting for the week and will get one ride in Thursday morning early. 1 1/2-2 hour loop would be perfect. Looks like Phils may be the spot?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Do you prefer more XC type riding or AM type riding? What's your ideal terrain? What skill level would you say you are?
    Last edited by Nat; 07-19-2017 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    i spent a week in bend and did some big rides and absolutely loved it. i figure those who say bend trails are meh only rode the Phils TH area. of course only having 1 to 1.5hrs is limiting.

mtbr member

Good job! Phil's trail system is a real gem!

If you haven't ridden at Bend you really should try Phil's trail system. Wonderful smooth flowing singletrack o easy gradients in a nice setting. It's not challenging stuff, but it's so sweet you shouldn't miss the opportunity.
    Last edited by levity; 07-20-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Also:

1. Please use your turn signal when exiting a roundabout. Flip it on when you're one exit before the one you want to take.

2. Instead of trying to force a left turn through heavy traffic you can turn right then use the next roundabout to reverse your direction.

Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Phil's trailhead sounds like the hit. You could easily do Ben's trail up to the redroad, then over and down Phil's. Take KGB over to Marvin's from the phoenix at the bottom of Phil's canyon to extend it to an hour plus. If you're a really fast rider you can probably climb up from the red road and hit lower whoops too, but I think 90 minutes is pushing it for that ride. Alternately, just park at red road and run lower whoops a few times...or climb up even higher, I've heard upper is riding great but havent been myself.

And if you are that fast you might like a loop up towards wanoga better.

LOL at the guy giving unsolicited driving advice. Probably a transplant

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Wanoga area has some good stuff if you are looking for some more technical(rocks mostly) or flow trail stuff.

For max 2 hours I would park at the green gate, ride up Funner and then down tiddlywinks. Should be about 11 miles and a bit under 1500' climbing. Tiddly is some pretty fun flow trail.. might be a little bit longer than 2 hours. Here is that route: https://www.trailforks.com/route/funner-to-tiddlywinks/

For a shorter ride just up and down funner could be good. It has some nice optional drop lines and should be pretty easily doable in 1.5hr or less. 4 miles and 900' climb and then back down.

Or just stick around the phil's area for a more XC ride as others have suggested.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SBonacker View Post
    Phil's trailhead sounds like the hit. You could easily do Ben's trail up to the redroad, then over and down Phil's. Take KGB over to Marvin's from the phoenix at the bottom of Phil's canyon to extend it to an hour plus. If you're a really fast rider you can probably climb up from the red road and hit lower whoops too, but I think 90 minutes is pushing it for that ride. Alternately, just park at red road and run lower whoops a few times...or climb up even higher, I've heard upper is riding great but havent been myself.

And if you are that fast you might like a loop up towards wanoga better.

LOL at the guy giving unsolicited driving advice. Probably a transplant
    A$$hole! Guy with all of four posts... LOL. You haven't even been to the upper riding, WTF?

Yeah, go ride Phil's. Leave the good stuff to we locals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone!! I will venture out tomorrow and explore.

Cheers, happy riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Also:

1. Please use your turn signal when exiting a roundabout. Flip it on when you're one exit before the one you want to take.

2. Instead of trying to force a left turn through heavy traffic you can turn right then use the next roundabout to reverse your direction.

Thanks a bunch!
    Haha!!! Driving advice too! Don't worry, we have roundabouts back home too 😜😉

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do you prefer more XC type riding or AM type riding? What's your ideal terrain? What skill level would you say you are?
    I ride more AM but I am coming off a back injury , so taking is easy. Been riding 30 plus years and skills are pretty sharp

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoegold View Post
    Haha!!! Driving advice too! Don't worry, we have roundabouts back home too 😜😉
    I suspect that Nat's "driving instructions" were kind of a tongue-in-cheek poke at the Phils trails suggestion in the previous post. IME Phils is a pretty busy place and by this time of year pretty dry and dusty.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoegold View Post
    I ride more AM but I am coming off a back injury , so taking is easy. Been riding 30 plus years and skills are pretty sharp
    You might prefer the Wanoga area then (if your back is feeling up to it). If you only have one hour then park at Green Gate TH, ride up Funner to Wanoga sno-park, then head back down. As a general rule-of-thumb, on Funner when presented with a trail split, the left option is the more challenging one. Rocks, berms, small drops, and a couple of log rides on Funner. Nothing too huge though.

If your back hurts then toodle around on Phil's.

And use your turn signal. Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks again just finished. Went up funner and down tiddlywinks

Awesome trail system you guys have here

mtbr member
    May 2017
    A$$hole! Guy with all of four posts... LOL. You haven't even been to the upper riding, WTF?

Yeah, go ride Phil's. Leave the good stuff to we locals.
    I quite enjoy my quiet evening rides on Phil's, I'll have you know!

I've never fancied upper whoops much but I'll get around to riding it this year at some point...I generally prefer Wanoga for longer loops.

Sorry for my rude presumption, I'm still gauging the level of smartass I can get away with here. Growing up in Bend has left me a bit cynical I'm afraid.

Afric Pepperbird
    I haven't lived in the area in three years, but the best (IMO) is up South Fork to Lower Flagline, to Flagline Tie, to Ridge Trail, to Swampy Lakes, to SST, to Swede Ridge, to Sector 16, to Upper Whoops, to Skyliner, and back to the Skyliner TH.

https://bendtrails.org/trail/south-fork-trail/

I miss that ride immensely

Nat
    mtbr member
    DF! You still in Wisconsin? Your favorite loop is still good. I'll take a lap in your honor.

Afric Pepperbird
    DF! You still in Wisconsin? Your favorite loop is still good. I'll take a lap in your honor.
    Thanks! I've turned into a Roadie. The rural road rides here are incredible, especially in the Driftless Region (the very, very hilly area the glaciers missed). Much more gorgeous than most of Oregon, I dare say, but I truly miss the mountain biking.

mtbr member
    My suggestion is to drive 100 miles to Oakridge and ride ATCA
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Thanks! I've turned into a Roadie. The rural road rides here are incredible, especially in the Driftless Region (the very, very hilly area the glaciers missed). Much more gorgeous than most of Oregon, I dare say, but I truly miss the mountain biking.
    Hey, when in Rome...

I wish I hadn't been so stubbornly attached to the mountain bike when I lived in Iowa. A cyclocross bike would've opened up a HUGE amount of gravel roads through rolling farmland. Instead rode my mtb in circles on a silly 3 mile loop for years. Eeesh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    My suggestion is to drive 100 miles to Oakridge and ride ATCA
    I rode it the weekend before MBO and the Cloverpatch gravel grind sure could've used a brush-out. Wonder if it got opened up at all.

Anyway, back on topic, sorta... I'd much rather get a shuttle to higher elevations and drop Southfork and climb Skyliner than the other way, but I'm not a local.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Anyway, back on topic, sorta... I'd much rather get a shuttle to higher elevations and drop Southfork and climb Skyliner than the other way, but I'm not a local.
    Try my route once if you get the chance. You'll be hooked! The descent is much, much longer (albeit with ups-and-downs involved) and one can really let it fly.

But, of course, if you're a non-local, I can see one trying other rides in the area instead, including an awesome shuttle.

viva la v-brakes!
    I know this is too late to help out the OP, but Upper Whoops is the most fun single mile of trail I've ever ridden.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Hella Olde
    Also:

Thanks a bunch!

Where is a good place to buy blinker fluid?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Where is a good place to buy blinker fluid?
    Boneyard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll be up there in mid August and was curious if you can grab the Mt. Bachelor Shuttle in town up to the resort and then ride the trails all the way back into town. Looks like you can jump on Flagline and have a few options back to town. Is this doable?

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by badbietz View Post
    I'll be up there in mid August and was curious if you can grab the Mt. Bachelor Shuttle in town up to the resort and then ride the trails all the way back into town. Looks like you can jump on Flagline and have a few options back to town. Is this doable?
    I was there two years ago with friends, and that's pretty much what we did on our last day. IIRC, it was: Flagline Access, to Flagline, to Swede Ridge, to Upper Whoops to Phil's Trail, to Grand Slam to ELV to COD.

The word "epic" is over-used, but damn, that was a hell of a ride.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Hey... I never thought of using the Mt. Bachelor shuttle. It's only $5 versus the $15 Cog Wild shuttle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey... I never thought of using the Mt. Bachelor shuttle. It's only $5 versus the $15 Cog Wild shuttle.
    Ya that was my thought.

Also can you link Flagline over to Tiddlywinks? Looks like you just have to ride down the road a bit but could then link over to COD Upper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    I was there two years ago with friends, and that's pretty much what we did on our last day. IIRC, it was: Flagline Access, to Flagline, to Swede Ridge, to Upper Whoops to Phil's Trail, to Grand Slam to ELV to COD.

The word "epic" is over-used, but damn, that was a hell of a ride.
    How long did it take you to complete and how much climbing was involved?

viva la v-brakes!
    How long did it take you to complete and how much climbing was involved?
    The only real climbing was Flagline access, which was maybe 300ft over 2 miles or so? Not much. Our finish time would not be typical, we were beat from 4 days on the bikes, an early winter storm was rolling in, we were getting snowed on at the top, and spent at least 45 mins in a warming shelter. I think it was about 4 hrs. Could be done in 3 easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    can you link Flagline over to Tiddlywinks?
    A couple unsorted thoughts.

Tiddlywinks is great but better in spring. Gonna be getting soft and blown out in the berms by now. I don't think it's worth trying to transition over there after getting a shuttle to Dutchman.

Middle Flagline is closed until August 15th. Being there earlier a good ride would be up Met-Win to Happy Valley then down Farewell and up Skyliner, from there you can ride Lower Whoops and so on. OR you could descend all of Mrazek.

If Middle Flagline is open then drop Southfork from Swampy Shelter and then back up Skyliner to Lower Whoops and so on. Or descend Helipad instead of Whoops if you prefer rocks to jumps.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ya that was my thought.

Also can you link Flagline over to Tiddlywinks? Looks like you just have to ride down the road a bit but could then link over to COD Upper.
    Yes, that route works. Tiddly was still in good shape when I rode it this past Monday.

Does the Mt. B shuttle have bike racks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes, that route works. Tiddly was still in good shape when I rode it this past Monday.

Does the Mt. B shuttle have bike racks?
    It looks that way from the picture
    Mt. Bachelor Shuttle

Nat
    mtbr member
    It looks that way from the picture
    Mt. Bachelor Shuttle
    Cool. Look at that trailer!

mtbr member
    couple unsorted thoughts.

Tiddlywinks is great but better in spring. Gonna be getting soft and blown out in the berms by now. I don't think it's worth trying to transition over there after getting a shuttle to Dutchman.

Middle Flagline is closed until August 15th. Being there earlier a good ride would be up Met-Win to Happy Valley then down Farewell and up Skyliner, from there you can ride Lower Whoops and so on. OR you could descend all of Mrazek.

If Middle Flagline is open then drop Southfork from Swampy Shelter and then back up Skyliner to Lower Whoops and so on. Or descend Helipad instead of Whoops if you prefer rocks to jumps.
    You might prefer the Wanoga area then (if your back is feeling up to it). If you only have one hour then park at Green Gate TH, ride up Funner to Wanoga sno-park, then head back down. As a general rule-of-thumb, on Funner when presented with a trail split, the left option is the more challenging one. Rocks, berms, small drops, and a couple of log rides on Funner. Nothing too huge though.

If your back hurts then toodle around on Phil's.
    I was going to start a thread, but this seems as good a place as any. This is super last minute so all advice is appreciated!

My wife and I are headed to Bend on Thursday. Looking for some good rides on Friday and Saturday. I've been digging through some old threads on ride suggestions but still scratching my head a bit. I am an advanced rider and my wife is a solid intermediate and comfortable with pretty much everything. Fitness level right now is pretty good for both of us. We like all types of riding but spend lots of time on tight techy and steep stuff in western WA so look forward to some of the fast flowy Bend trails I've heard about. We've also done plenty of big mountain high alpine stuff in WA and MT.
    I'm a more aggressive rider and love pumping and airing off stuff, but my wife less so.

I'd like a suggestion for one good long ride preferably with a shuttle. I would say we're good for 20-25ish miles if there isn't a ton of climbing (maybe 2000-3000 tops over that distance). I'd love to do Bachelor to Bend but I'm not sure what is and is not open since we're before August 15th. What shuttle do I need to take to where, and which trails are open for the way back? If this option isn't open, what's the longest shuttle route we could do?

I'd love another suggestion for Saturday. Maybe not quite as long. A good loop through the Phil's trails or something maybe? What else? What should we avoid?

We love beer and that's in the plans. Any other Bend recommendations for food, beer, entertainment while we're there? Leaving sometime Sunday so we have time for some quick rides or activities Thursday evening, Friday/Saturday after rides, and Sunday morning too.

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    The only closed trail is Middle Flagline. This time of year I like the higher elevation stuff like Met-Win to Happy Valley and then down Mrazek.

The longest shuttle you can do? Ok. You can probably do longer if you just doodle an endless series of little loops on the BendTrails map, but this route is (mostly) a direct shot back to town and it's still a bigger day than I would ever attempt:

From Dutchman go Flagline Access to Metolius-Windigo and keep going to Lava Lakes. Then Edison-Lava, cross 45 and up Dinah Moe and down Kiwa to Tiddly and straight on through lower Storm King then up C&R to the Welcome Center, then catch a Ticket on the uphill climb and go out all of Phil's after a brief liaison on the 4610 road.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Rides:
    1. Friday: Bachelor-to-Bend (~25-30 miles, classic xc, mild technicality, nice scenery)
    Shuttle to Dutchman sno-park>Flagline Access>Metolius/Windigo>North Fork Transfer>Mrazek>Bend.

2. Saturday: Go to the Wanoga area instead of Phil's. It's more jumpy-pumpy-bermy-fun.
    Park along Conklin Rd. at the bottom of Tyler's traverse, right before the pavement turns to dirt.
    Up Tyler's climbing route>Kiwa Butte>down Tiddlywinks>Steve Larsen>down Tyler's DH route>car

Shuttles:
    1. CogWild ($15 each, bike-specific so they can give some trail info, everyone else on the van will be stoked to ride). Bend, Oregon Mountain Bike Shuttles - Cog Wild

2. Mt. Bachelor shuttle ($5 each, not bike-specific). Mt. Bachelor Shuttle

Use this website: https://bendtrails.org

The "View Map" feature will show you your location in real time. WAY more useful than MTBProject or probably whatever other app you were thinking of using.

mtbr member
    The only closed trail is Middle Flagline. This time of year I like the higher elevation stuff like Met-Win to Happy Valley and then down Mrazek.

The longest shuttle you can do? Ok. You can probably do longer if you just doodle an endless series of little loops on the BendTrails map, but this route is (mostly) a direct shot back to town and it's still a bigger day than I would ever attempt:

From Dutchman go Flagline Access to Metolius-Windigo and keep going to Lava Lakes. Then Edison-Lava, cross 45 and up Dinah Moe and down Kiwa to Tiddly and straight on through lower Storm King then up C&R to the Welcome Center, then catch a Ticket on the uphill climb and go out all of Phil's after a brief liaison on the 4610 road.
    Ok I've spent some more time on bendtrails.org and have a better idea of what's available. What a great site! I was thinking everything connecting Bachelor to Bend might be closed and by "longest" I meant the next furthest TH to start at. I now see there are other options from Bachelor. If we take the Mt. Bachelor shuttle from the Park and Ride in Bend, is it reasonable to be able to do the Met-Win/Mrazek route and ride our bikes back to the car?

Then maybe something like Swampy to Phil's (through Whoops) for the second ride? The Funner/Tiddlywinks area is intriguing as well. Anything that we should avoid? I realize it looks to be hot and dusty. We can't help the dust but plan to ride as early as we can based on the shuttles. Any miserably dusty/sandy trails we should avoid?

mtbr member
    Rides:
    1. Friday: Bachelor-to-Bend (~25-30 miles, classic xc, mild technicality, nice scenery)
    Shuttle to Dutchman sno-park>Flagline Access>Metolius/Windigo>North Fork Transfer>Mrazek>Bend.

2. Saturday: Go to the Wanoga area instead of Phil's. It's more jumpy-pumpy-bermy-fun.
    Park along Conklin Rd. at the bottom of Tyler's traverse, right before the pavement turns to dirt.
    Up Tyler's climbing route>Kiwa Butte>down Tiddlywinks>Steve Larsen>down Tyler's DH route>car

Shuttles:
    1. CogWild ($15 each, bike-specific so they can give some trail info, everyone else on the van will be stoked to ride). Bend, Oregon Mountain Bike Shuttles - Cog Wild

2. Mt. Bachelor shuttle ($5 each, not bike-specific). Mt. Bachelor Shuttle

Use this website: https://bendtrails.org

The "View Map" feature will show you your location in real time. WAY more useful than MTBProject or probably whatever other app you were thinking of using.
    Great post thanks! I didn't see it before my reply above which basically mirrors what you suggested. So would a Swampy to Phil's be similar to the Friday ride and the Wanoga area be something a bit different?

Any input on actually getting from the trails back to the car? I haven't looked at street maps for that so if it's obvious just tell me to look it up. Any best routes would be appreciated. It looks like additional trips with more time are definitely in order!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Swampy to Phil's is fun but other than Whoops trail is similar in feel to Bachy-to-Bend.

Phil's triangle area is the default for most people, especially visitors, and Saturdays are usually quite crowded.

The Wanoga area has more advanced riding similar to what you said you like (pumping, airing) and the route I outlined makes use of one-way trails to minimize traffic encounters.

Tiddlywinks is 2-way but has sections with poor lines of sight, and since it's a high speed descent be extra aware of people climbing up.

On second thought, maybe this route will be better:
    Up Tyler's>Larsen>Funner>Wanoga sno-park>Tiddlywinks>Kiwa>Tyler's DH route>car

I estimate its about 15-20 miles, better sight lines on a crowded day, more one-way traffic for safety.

Getting back to town from the bottom of Mrazek kind of is a grind. You either have to take the Brooks-Scanlon logging road (dry, dusty, hot, washboard hell) back to Skyliner Road, or take Mrazek all the way to the entrance of Shevlin Park (nice and cool with water and shade but is a few miles out of town). Since you'll be getting finished in the heat of the day you might consider parking either at Phil's TH or Shevlin park, pedaling a few miles to your shuttle while it's still relatively cool out, then finishing up right at your car when you're tired/hungry/hot/ready to be done.

I'll add map info in a bit...
    Last edited by Nat; 08-08-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Okay, if you park at Phil's TH early in the morning, roll downhill to the Mt.B shuttle it's an easy route. The Simpson route takes you right past CogWild if you decide to use that shuttle service instead.

To the left of the image you see the Brooks Scanlon logging road. Mrazek intersects with it, so you'd take the road out to Phil's TH.

One ride in Bend-suggestions?-screenshot-2017-08-08-20.17.36.jpg

mtbr member
    Great info thanks! So it looks like the Mt.B shuttle runs at 8:30 and 9:45 Friday morning. Do you have any idea of how early we'd need to be there to secure a spot? I may just call Mt.B and ask. The 9:45 would be a bit easier to make for us probably giving us plenty of time before to drop the car off and get down there.

mtbr member
    You can call Cog Wild and reserve a shuttle slot in advance.

I would consider Funner for your second day for your Wanoga riding. The closing sequence of rock drops and kickers is excellent.

Another way down from Dutchman would be to break off Mrazek and drop Farewell, then Tumalo Creek to Skyliner to Whoops and out Phil's. This is also really fun and saves you the grind out of Shevlin Park.

Our can't-miss places for food and drink: Crux, El Sancho (they have a food truck at Crux as well as an excellent restaurant on the east side), Spork, Wild Rose Thai, Goody's.

Nat
    mtbr member
    That grand finale on Funner is my favorite section of trail in the area.

Good call on descending Farewell. That route would take you to Whoops (which everyone seems to want to do) then Phil's (which made this place famous). Farewell has better views than Mrazek too.

Revised route:
    Dutchman sno-park>Flagline access>Met/Win>Farewell>Tumalo Creek (careful--LOTS of pedestrians)>Skyliner>Lower Whoops>Phil's>Phil's TH.

mtbr member
    Hmmm....so the tradeoff with that looks to be one short trail where we dump a bunch of elevation and then the Tumalo Creek and Skyliner look to be much more flat vs the long gradual DH on Mrazek. So which are the best trails? Views are a nice bonus, but not necessarily the top priority. I would like to do Whoops just based on all the recommendations I've heard, but we could always do that Sunday morning or something.

How much of a grind is it out Shelvin Park or back down to Phil's TH after Mrazek? If the revised route offers more fun trail overall then I'm certainly happy to take that route, but that long seemingly uncrowded descent on Mrazek seems pretty appealing at least on paper (errr, a screen).

What's the best way to include Funner in a Wanoga loop?

Thanks for the food recs tbmaddux!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Either way is fun. Take your pick, I think you'll have a good time one way or the other. Basically, you need more days!

I enjoy the Wanoga trails more since they have jumps and drops, so if I were to have to choose between Whoops or Wanoga I'd go to Wanoga. Whoops is like the OG flow trail from back before there was flow trails.

You could go up Tyler's>Kiwa>Wanoga sno-park>Funner>Larsen>Tyler's.

Or, to just get to the goods, park at Green Gate, ride up Funner to Wanoga then turn around and come back. That's about one hour of riding, give or take.

There are several trail splits on Funner, and as a general rule the more advanced line (including the grand finale mentioned above) is to the left.

Enjoy!

The Dude Abides
    A few other items to think about:

A cougar was seen on Southfork a few days ago.

Middle Flagline is closed until 8/15 so the elk can have babies.

There is a trail run going on in the Wanoga area starting 7am on the 12th.
    Course Description

I was planning on doing a Bachelor shuttle Saturday too...might have to stick to Phils.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

The Dude Abides
    Here's my plan right now...it could change.

Green Gate TH>Storm King>Lower Whoops>Pinedrops>Helipad>Phil's>Voodoo>Grand Slam>COD>Green Gate TH
    This aggression will not stand, man.

Nat
    mtbr member
    D'oh! I didn't know about that running race. It looks like the course doesn't involve Funner so you could go out and back on it. For a longer ride start at the bottom of Storm King on Conklin Road then go out-and-back Lower Storm King>Funner.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up on the race. That's a bummer. Maybe should have changed the rides around. We rode Bachelor to Bend yesterday and had a great time. Probably something out at Wanoga this morning if we can avoid the race.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for all the help! We ended up riding Bachelor to Bend Friday and did an out and back on Funner Saturday to avoid the race.

We rode the Mt. Bachelor shuttle. It showed up right at 9:45 and only had a few other passengers who were all employees at the mountain. $5 each...can't beat that. We rode from the mountain down to Dutchman Sno Park and took Flagline Tie - Dutchman Connection, Flagline Tie, Lower Flagline, Swede Ridge, Sector 16, Upper/Lower Whoops, Phil's, then rode back in to town which was a piece of cake. Right at 30 miles including the ride from our Airbnb to the shuttle. If it had been a few days later we would have done Flagline instead. Smooth and flowy as advertised and nothing very technical. There was a closed sign at the bottom of Lower Flagline which was odd. There was a downed tree before Upper Whoops but I can't remember which section.

The wife was a bit tired Saturday (and has never done back to back days riding) so we decided to keep it shorter and just do Funner. I had a blast on the trail and it blended fast and flowy with some good techy rock sections. Messed around at the pump track up top for a while too. I tried to always opt left on the way down to check out the more advanced stuff. Hit some drops that were a bit out of my comfort zone, but they went fine after scoping them out first. We don't have many drops in my local network so I'm not very confident with them but it was fun.

We had lots of good food/beer and hit the beer fest a couple times. We randomly lucked in to a sweet location for our Airbnb and were able to walk or ride everywhere. We had a great first experience in Bend and will be sure to return.

PS: Only about half of the people with OR plates signaled to exit round abouts, so it's not just the tourists screwing it up. This is a major pet peeve of mine in our area as well.