• Will not be able to help this round, but interested for future dates

1 5.88%
  • Camping

10 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DOD Member

Ollallie/O'Leary Trail recovery weekend

Big news!! The McKenzie Ranger district is supporting our effort to reclaim a neglected jewel of a trail network. In discussions with the two Rangers in charge, Steve and Wayne, they are excited to have us volunteers come up to lend a hand. As everyone knows funding is always and issue, and these trails suffered for it.

The weekend is going to be the 3-4 of October. Mark your calendars! The campground at Horse Creek is going to be reopened just for us. Toilets will be available, but no fresh water. The FS is going to provide some 5 gal cans of water and there is a creek that we can filter water from. Those of you that want to arrive Friday nite, the gate will be open. Good times around the campfire will ensue!!

See this link for some photos and commentary from our excursion a few weeks back to get a sense of what needs to be done.

Olallie/O'Leary

Bring whatever trail tools and brush cutters you have. The FS will provide some hand tools and fuel. All sawyers must be certified. The gates on the west end of the network will be opened so we can drive right on top of the worst sections at multiple points. The east end has open road access too. What that means is we can't have too many volunteers! We can easily dispatch crews all over the place.

The main effort this time out will be O'Leary. The outer ends of Ollallie need some help. Wayne was describing a new trail that was installed a couple years ago that leads down to Cougar Reservoir that is brushy. Castle Rock trail is right there too.

These trails need a lot of work right now, and a lot of use after! Once you see it, you will be back, they are spectacular fun!

I would like to approximate how many able bodies will attend and whether or not you need to have tools supplied. Also if you plan to camp. Vote in the poll to help us plan. You can check more than one box.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.027509&z=15

Thanks everybody in advance for your support!
    Last edited by MaxSteel; 09-22-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    MaxSteel

mtbr member

Great news!!

This is fabulous news! With enough help we can open many miles of new trail for all of us to enjoy.

There is enough work that if people are available for to come help either Saturday or Sunday, please do come! Those coming from Bend, please send us an email at Cog Wild and we can coordinate to borrow enough tools from COTA if you do not have your own to bring. melanie@cogwild.com

Last year a few of us as well tried to ride the trails that are going to be worked on. Some sections were similar to the downhills on Alpine Trail in Oakridge - fast, tight and awesome. Other sections the brush was as tall as us. If we can clear the entire trail, damn, watch out, Central Oregon has a new must do ride!

Hope to see everyone reading this in two weeks!!
    Last edited by Cog Wild; 09-17-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

Tree Hugger
    I'm in for at least one day of work, and will probably camp, depending on the weather.

Thanks for organizing this MazSteel
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

meatier showers
    Sunday's the day for me. What time should I be there and where is "there." Thanks for organizing, MaxSteel.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

DOD Member
    Day trippers might as well meet at Horse Creek Campground 9am. We can organize crews and carpools to the various trailheads from there. If you are late in arriving, check at the Ranger station for a clue as to where to find us. Appx travel time from Eugene 1hr. Bend 1 1/2 hr, Portland 3 hr.
    MaxSteel

mtbr member

Count me in

Max, I'm down for Sat. I can bring plenty of tools & trailers if you let me know what you need. At this time I'm only available for Sat. Tools need to back in Bend before COTA's Biktoberfest the next Sat.

Crash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSteel
    Max, can you please edit your Google Map? The link does not take me to the campground.
    Crash

Singletrack Addict
    I rode this trail about 15 years ago and would love to see it get some lovin.

Looks like I can get down for at least Saturday and possibly Sunday. I'll probably come down Friday and ride the McKenzie.

Thanks Max for making this happen!

Tree Hugger
    I hope we get more trailworkers than replies to this post. It's a shame that it's always the same 5% of riders that steps up to do trailwork.

Imagine if every mountain biker put in 1 full day of trailwork!

DOD Member
    Thanks Crash, for pointing out the bad map link. I think it should be fine now.

Thanks to those that have signed up so far. Hopefully as the date nears and folks can see a gap in their calendars, we will have more click the box.

If you simply show up on Saturday or Sunday, that will be fine too. It is just that we will be better prepared with available tools and water supplies if we have a head start on the head count.

Thanks!
    MaxSteel

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    I hope we get more trailworkers than replies to this post. It's a shame that it's always the same 5% of riders that steps up to do trailwork.

Imagine if every mountain biker put in 1 full day of trailwork!

I'll have room in the van coming down from Portland for at least two or three with bikes, so if there are any P-town Mtbrs feeling Matt's guilt trip, don't let lack of transportation keep you from getting involved. If you need a ride, let me know.

more love, less attitude
    Dec 2006
    I can be there Saturday. I am not sure about Sunday yet.

The Brutally Handsome
    I would like to help out. I'm saw certified and have my own saw. Let me know if that's something your looking for.

DOD Member
    Absolutely Sizzler!! You are exactly what we need. Although, we also need uncertified sawless folks that want to clear brush and dig tread too.

More on tools: We need a bunch of volunteers with gas powered brush cutters too! The FS only has hand tools to loan out. The FS said they will supply the fuel for saws and cutters.
    MaxSteel

mtbr member
    Max.

I talked to Jay J here in Bend last night, he's in, so add one more to the list. I'll bring our brush cutter that COTA has, its proven useless over here, see how it does on green vegetation over there, also two more saws. Jay is certified as well.

Guess I'll bring that machete we've got in our shed too, been itchin to use that. Is there such a thing as saw chaps for your arms?

CK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash
    Max.

I talked to Jay J here in Bend last night, he's in, so add one more to the list. I'll bring our brush cutter that COTA has, its proven useless over here, see how it does on green vegetation over there, also two more saws. Jay is certified as well.

Guess I'll bring that machete we've got in our shed too, been itchin to use that. Is there such a thing as saw chaps for your arms?

CK
    Grass blades and the hedge-trimmer attachments seem to work well over here in the coast range. String trimmers are useless of course. I'll be there with a variety of tools I'll be sure to include the brush cutter.

Tree Hugger
    Ya think we can get a few trimmers from Randy's stash?

DOD Member
    The work area is outside Randy's zone. Doubt he would have a great interest in loaning out his tools. Maybe.
    MaxSteel

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSteel
    The work area is outside Randy's zone. Doubt he would have a great interest in loaning out his tools. Maybe.

It's still the same Willamette National Forest, just a different district, but who knows. The tools were funded by a grant, but I'm not sure how specific it may have been regarding the "project area".

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Ridin' Sunday??

Maid in Peak?

mtbr member
    I'm in for Saturday's work party. I'm hoping to catch a ride with the Cog Wild Crew, but have not arranged any transportation yet.

Cheers,
    BFE

DOD Member
    By the way, bring your bikes and lights. I wouldn't be surprised to see a shuttle on Olallie Saturday night.

Those that have bob trailers might find good use hauling tools and fuel for the east end of O'Leary. That is the end that had the most brushing to do. The west end won't have any use for trailers. Too steep. That is where most of the saw work will be done. The good news on the west end, is there are multiple access points from the road.

Also, if you have two-way radios, bring 'em. Channel 14.
    MaxSteel

mtbr member
    Can't wait for this weekend - trail work and the chance for a night ride!

Two things for Bendites:

Tools: If you are planning on coming from Bend and want to borrow tools, please email us at info@cogwild.com by Thursday if possible. We can help coordinate borrowing tools from COTA for the weekend.

Carpooling: The Cog van will be leaving Bend at 4pm from the Cog Wild office. We will leave Horse Creek Campground between noon and 1pm on Sunday to return to Bend. We will have room for 10 people to join, give us a call or email to save your seat.

Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Blowdown on King Castle

I don't know if this would be at all convenient, but while there are folks up there with saws and power tools and all... there is a tree down (about 18'' or so diameter) across the King Castle trail about a mile below where the trail crosses the road...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

DOD Member
    I ran into that tree myself, (figuratively). I won't rule out sending a two man crew to cut that bugger out. Walking two miles for one tree is always a pisser. It is in a spot where you are really feeling the flow too! If we have a big enough turnout, sure. The priority will be O'Leary first, then Olallie, Castle Rock, King's Castle, Echo...we won't get that far in two days.
    MaxSteel

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kook91
    I don't know if this would be at all convenient, but while there are folks up there with saws and power tools and all... there is a tree down (about 18'' or so diameter) across the King Castle trail about a mile below where the trail crosses the road...
    Did you report it to the McKenzie Ranger District?

They tend to clear trees once they know about them, but I bet most riders never report downed trees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast