Nat
    mtbr member

Is O'Leary ready to ride yet?

Anyone ridden O'Leary within the last week or so? We're thinking about going this weekend.

How about Ollallie?

mtbr member
    Probably not. It's right around 5000ft. Well above the 4200ft snow elevation that I saw on Lawler, and the top of Alpine is also snowed in at 4700ft. I don't know of any build crews that have been up there to clear it of blowdown yet.

You could do an out-and-back on Olallie, see how far you get.

King-Castle was amazingly good a couple weeks ago.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thanks. You did an out-and-back on King Castle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Thanks. You did an out-and-back on King Castle?
    I was there for the DoD Happy Ride. A bunch of people did the out and back on that plus the final pitch to Castle Rock summit. A bunch of others pedaled the 480 Rd climb instead. We shuttled it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I've only ridden on King Castle once, and I did an out-and-back from the bottom. I'm having trouble locating 480 on the map. Is it also known as O'Leary Rd.?

mtbr member
    I've only ridden on King Castle once, and I did an out-and-back from the bottom. I'm having trouble locating 480 on the map. Is it also known as O'Leary Rd.?
    Yes. It's marked with a USFS 480 sign and a smaller O'Leary Rd sign where it intersects King Rd west of the King-Castle trailhead and also west of the covered bridge to Rainbow, before King Rd dead-ends into NF-410 and the Aufderheide. There is a steeper looser road that cuts it off a bit, ignore that.

Then you just go up 480 and don't turn off any of the short spurs. Castle Rock crosses it right at a hard left hand turn. Then King-Castle crosses it on the next straightaway. Keep going up through the next left and then stop when you reach a wide spot on the left as the road goes up and to the right, it's the best parking / turnaround spot.

Pedal up the road. There is a cut-in to Castle Rock at the end. Trailforks ridelog and Cyclemeter ridelog both with maps that include the roads. TF map is a little more scary with a lot of turnoffs but if you just stay on it you'll be fine.

If you are gonna shuttle I could probably convince a friend to join me (or just myself if depending on how many folks you have). My car can take 4 riders in addition to the odd man out driving.

mtbr member
    duplicate
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 05-24-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Nat
    mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you very much.

mtbr member
    https://bendtrails.org/trail/olallie-trail/

I know there was a crew ready to clear last weekend and they were turned back due to snow.

Last report was snow line was at 4900 feet as of May 7th. Oleary starts at 5000 feet ish right?

Gotta be getting close

mtbr member
    Found a report from Tyson Cross, USFS, on social media with some of the Trans-Cascadia builders:

We cleared olearly from the 410 road to near the summit of macduff. It is reasonable to ride up olearly now and I have heard of folks riding from the castle rock/olearly trailhead up olearly toward macduff summit out and back then hitting castle Rock and king castle with a short shuttle to pick up the rig.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    https://bendtrails.org/trail/olallie-trail/

I know there was a crew ready to clear last weekend and they were turned back due to snow.

Last report was snow line was at 4900 feet as of May 7th. Oleary starts at 5000 feet ish right?

Gotta be getting close
    That's what I was hoping for. It will have been three weeks with warm days since that update.

Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Found a report from Tyson Cross, USFS, on social media with some of the Trans-Cascadia builders:
    I'm not sure I understand that report. Isn't 410 down in the valley near the creek?

Isn't a popular route to ascend NF 1993 to the north trailhead of O'Leary, climb up to the intersection of Ollalie, then descend O'Leary? I'm guessing the snow level must be close to that elevation by now but whether or not the section between the north TH and the O'Leary/Ollalie intersection has been cleared of deadfall is unknown, right?

mtbr member
    Isn't 410 down in the valley near the creek?
    I'm guessing he meant the 411 road, which gets you to the O'Leary-Castle Rock trailhead, that feeds into O'Leary, Castle Rock, and Echo trails. It doesn't show up on any of my online maps but it's visible on the USFS Castle Rock map. Castle Rock is shown in red on that map and the trailhead is at the south end, above and east of Cougar Reservoir. You can see 411 is the multiply-branched road coming off 410 from the north.

EDIT - Aha. I found it here on OpenCycleMap.

Isn't a popular route to ascend NF 1993 to the north trailhead of O'Leary, climb up to the intersection of Ollalie, then descend O'Leary? I'm guessing the snow level must be close to that elevation by now but whether or not the section between the north TH and the O'Leary/Ollalie intersection has been cleared of deadfall is unknown, right?
    Yes, although the washout and destruction of the 1993 road on the north side has led people to 1) shuttle the long way around up to Horsepasture Trailhead or 2) climb Olallie from the bottom. It sounds like Tyson et.al. cleared the western half of O'Leary (Macduff is right about in the middle).

mtbr member
    So the road is way easier to climb King Castle than the actual trail?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ahhh, I was about to ask about the road conditions. 1993 is out of commision then? Would one need a high clearance vehicle for 411?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richiebankrupt View Post
    It's a steady slog up the road, with the lower sections going through multiple recent harvest areas so there's a lot of sun. The trail climb would definitely be more challenging (or fun if that's your thing), but it's not insanely hard.

Ahhh, I was about to ask about the road conditions. 1993 is out of commision then? Would one need a high clearance vehicle for 411?
    Yeah. See this road conditions report which states: "Wapati Road (Forest Service Road 1993) ... closed at milepost 31.6, about 3 miles from the junction with FS Road 2638 due to a landslide. Proposed date for repair is undetermined at this time." Note that 2638 is Horse Creek Rd.

I dunno about Rd 411. I should have asked the hiker I met crossing the road on Castle Rock last month, he parked his vehicle over at the O'Leary-Castle Rock trailhead and hiked an out-and-back to the Castle Rock summit. I didn't ask what kind of vehicle he had though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richiebankrupt View Post
    I've never ridden up the road, but I've been up and down it several times in vehicles. I have ridden up the trail, and hiked it a couple times too. It's been a couple years, but I don't recall the trail climb being all that hard, but it is a lot more fun and scenic than the road.

The most challenging part of the climb is that last mile or so to get up on Castle Rock, but that is above where you can drive to.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Does the road (411?) require a high-clearance vehicle?

mtbr member
    whatever that road is that they shuttle till around the back side is easy for any car to make it up. Granted there might be snow... so who knows.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Just got back -- we climbed up O'Leary not quite to the peak at Macduff mountain then descended down via Castle Rock and King Castle to the bottom.

Climbing O'Leary was really hard, LOL.

mtbr member
    Nice. I hear it's hard even if you shuttle up to Horsepasture.

mtbr member
    Just think TC guys probably were riding up that same direction with Stihl 461s on their backs and probably some snow! Brutal.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Riding up with chainsaws! Nuts! My climbing pace was about walking speed. The first mile took us an hour, lol!

mtbr member
    I should saying "heading" up trail with bikes. Lots of hike a bike with chainsaws.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Descending that trail with a chainsaw on one's back would be quite a feat too.

The Brutally Handsome
    Funny, so we rode from the O'Lallie side this weekend. We made it close to O'Leary mountain before turning back and hitting King's Castle instead. Glad we didn't try to push through the snow because we were well short of MacDuff by about 4 miles. Looks like it's going to be a little while before it's clear.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Which Olallie TH did you access? Did you drive up NF 1993? If so, how were the road conditions?

The Brutally Handsome
    We parked at the King's Castle trailhead and rode up East King road to the 1933 and took that to the lower Olallie trailhead. Road was fine, mostly paved and perfectly clear. Trail is also clear all the way up the snow, though the climb is brutal!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1010482484/overview
    Last edited by Sizzler; 05-30-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    We parked at the King's Castle trailhead and rode up East King road to the 1933 and took that to the lower Olallie trailhead. Road was fine, mostly paved and perfectly clear. Trail is also clear all the way up the snow, though the climb is brutal!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1010482484/overview
    You didn't see any landslide area on 1933 then? Maybe they fixed it?

Any chance you were a group of four (or five) with at least one woman? Right below the intersection of King Castle with the spur to the viewpoint we (two guys) passed in the opposite direction a group at around 3:30pm. Dat you?

The Brutally Handsome
    Nah, there were three of us, all guys. Going down King's we passed several groups of people riding up-trail. Pretty busy weekend up there!

As for the landslide area, that might have been above the lower trailhead because I didn't see any evidence of recent road work. In fact, I just looked at google earth and the landslide is visible about a mile past the trailhead.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Wow, we didn't see anyone else on bikes except for that one group. We only saw one group of hikers on King Castle up until the very last quarter mile or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Does the road (411?) require a high-clearance vehicle?
    To access the cut-in routes on the 411 road one needs to ride up the 411 road as there is a gate at the bottom of it just where O'Leary crosses to castle rock. The lock is frequently broken though. It's a gnarly steep road which gains about 100 ft per mile. 4x4 is recommended strongly if you do get in.

Nat
    mtbr member
    "Wapati Road (Forest Service Road 1993) ... closed at milepost 31.6, about 3 miles from the junction with FS Road 2638 due to a landslide. Proposed date for repair is undetermined at this time."

We took a look at the landslide in person today.

Is O'Leary ready to ride yet?-img_0967.jpg

mtbr member
    There's a closure of upper Olallie due to a lightning strike and associated fire.

EDIT - Link and map:

Is O'Leary ready to ride yet?-19452946_762224867280507_176280094103234986_o.jpg
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 06-27-2017 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

O'Leary Area Fire

This doesn't close O'Leary (yet). The closure is on Olallie uphill from the O'Leary junction. If you ride up Ollalie you should be able to access O'Leary.

Probably closes it to shuttlers though.

There's a closure of upper Olallie due to a lightning strike and associated fire.

EDIT - Link and map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19452946_762224867280507_176280094103234986_o.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	1143852

mtbr member
    Nice. I hear it's hard even if you shuttle up to Horsepasture.
    How much uphill climbing from horsepasture trailhead to the downhill on O'Leary?

meatier showers
    Three friends rode Olallie/O'Leary on the 4th of July. They report it's good to go.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.