Thread: Old Man Pass

Obviously Single

Old Man Pass

I went on a great (A+) ride in Washington last weekend with my friend Tim and my MBO friends Don and Dan. This ride is called Old Man Pass, which I hope was not directed at me.

Yes, this ride is not in Oregon, but since I'm from here, I'll post it here (with perhaps a mention on the WA board).

(You can see all of the pictures here: http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/o...%20Man%20Pass/ )

The weather started out looking kind of crapy, but Tim and I have been riding long enough to know that some of the best rides start out this way.

Here we are crossing Bridge of the Gods and entering WA.

Not sure what my iPhone is doing to Tim to make him smile like this

Don looks like he is disco dancing to warm up. It was chili at the bottom and even colder at the top.

Here is Dan posing for the camera.

First of two cool Lave Tubes (where Lava bubbled up from some underground lava river). Really cool, and made cooler by the fall colors.

Tim and Dan looking over the second (and larger) Lava Tube.

Nice shot of the Lava Tube itself.

A nice view of where we are headed. Big time downhill starts about here.

And my trusty steed, which managed yet another downhill ride despite her singularity.

Finally, the required post-ride fun comparison begins right in the parking lot at the end of the ride.

Hope you enjoy the pictures -- it sure was fun being there with so little summer left!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    The riding starts at Old Man Pass but the trail is Falls creek. It's a Good'un.

Obviously Single

Cool

I'll always think of it as Old Man Pass, thank you very much (though it's good to know the "real name").
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single
    Here is the Google Earth view of our ride (thanks Google!):

And some data on the ride (like the elevation profile) from my Apple Ascent software:

Note that I missed perhaps the first 1/2 mile of the ride, overwhelmed as usual by nature's beauty.
    The Lee-Man

highly visible
    Falls Creek is an awesome ride. Just did it for the first time myself this summer. Thanks for the pics.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Looks amazing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great ride it is! I want to do it as a night ride.

mtbr member
    It's a good one for sure, but I usually like to avoid it this time of year. The hunters make me feel a little unnerved.

Last year a group of us rounded a corner and right in the middle of the trail stood a young kid, 14-15 or so, with his rifle pointed right at us.

I will say, this could happen anywhere.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    There's a short side-hike/scramble to the top of the lower falls after you pass the campground (on the way down), which you should not miss. I think we're going to do it again as an up-and-back this weekend.

Obviously Single

We did not blend in

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    It's a good one for sure, but I usually like to avoid it this time of year. The hunters make me feel a little unnerved.

Last year a group of us rounded a corner and right in the middle of the trail stood a young kid, 14-15 or so, with his rifle pointed right at us.

I will say, this could happen anywhere.
    We saw some hunters as well as some shroom-diggers, but all were pleasent. I wore my bright yellow jacket most of the time, and you can see how Dan's clothes don't exactly blend in.
    The Lee-Man

meatier showers
    I've done that trail! Yeah, she's a beaut. If I didn't live in Orygun, I'd live in Warshingtun. Well, first you-know-who would have to leave, or die, or something.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Next time, for a little extra work, fun, and SCENERY, when you cross the footbridge at the end of the ride, turn left, and follow the trail on that side of Falls Creek about 2 miles uphill, where it ends at the base of a spectacular waterfall. It's well worth the extra grunt, although hiking traffic on weekends can demand a fairly slow pace coming back down that trail.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Obviously Single

Falls not that great in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Next time, for a little extra work, fun, and SCENERY, when you cross the footbridge at the end of the ride, turn left, and follow the trail on that side of Falls Creek about 2 miles uphill, where it ends at the base of a spectacular waterfall. It's well worth the extra grunt, although hiking traffic on weekends can demand a fairly slow pace coming back down that trail.
    I actually did that detour on my previous LRT ride a month earlier, but after a long ride we decided to skip it this time. The lower falls are not that impressive, IMHO, during the summer. One of them was completely dry during my exploration.

But it's hard to go wrong any place out there.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just a heads up: A fellow biker's pick-up was broken into at the Old Man Pass parking area about 4 weeks ago.
    He actually had a extra key, not too well, "hidden" and they drove the pickup all the way down the hill and ditched it in the gravel pit. Didn't loose much except a jacket & Broken door glass.
    As we were loading up this past Saturday afternoon a couple guys pulled into the parking lot (blue Toyota pickup) late in the day, hesitated and then pulled out and headed back down the hill. Strange..... Maybe coincidence?
    Pretty bold crooks as people who have been there know this is right out in the open.
    Keep your eyes open and don't store anything in your car you don't want to lose.

ronbo613
    It's snowing up there now.

Obviously Single

Missed Ya!

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    It's snowing up there now.
    Missed you, Ron! And it looks like we might have gotten the ride done just in time.

You and Don need to come out here. The Tillamook trails are much lower down and handle water fairly well, if you know where to ride.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Anyone have a map of the area? I couldn't find the trail again after you hit the dirt road after that steep climb - was told to make a right and ride down the road a ways and then it continues on the left? How far down? From a crude map at the top it looks like the road splits? Is that right?

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    TTT

Can ANYONE help me with detailed trail maps for the area or directions from the dirt road crossing???

Thanks,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Look at REI for "Green Trails Maps". One of theirs covers this route and is pretty good, but I don't remember which map number it is in their series. Can you describe the route you took? I can probably help a bit then. I've ridden this as a shuttle an as an out and back a few times. There are a few "dirt road crossings" and don't want to mislead.

mtbr member
    G Man, if you're talking about the stretch of road where you actually ride on the rode for about half a mile a little after that short but steep grinder, what you do is follow the rode until it makes a 90 degree right turn & look for the single track heading straight up the hill instead of turning. It's one of those "why didn't I see that?" kind of things, but it's also pretty easy to miss if you're not looking for it. Hope that helps. If you're going to be riding it soon, let me know & I might be able to meet you & play guide.

mtbr member
    And no, I don't know why I've suddenly lost the ability to spell "road" & "rode" correctly. : )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon
    G Man, if you're talking about the stretch of road where you actually ride on the rode for about half a mile a little after that short but steep grinder, what you do is follow the rode until it makes a 90 degree right turn & look for the single track heading straight up the hill instead of turning. It's one of those "why didn't I see that?" kind of things, but it's also pretty easy to miss if you're not looking for it. Hope that helps. If you're going to be riding it soon, let me know & I might be able to meet you & play guide.
    Yes, that's where I lost it.

THANKS!

G

PS - I'll PM you next time I plan to go.