mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Old Madras highway

I am kicking around going down to Madras, the object would be to ride the "old" madras hiway. I love old old roads. I know it is sort of paved. (old pavement tends to be quite ruff and a bit unpredictable.) Not like a single track but I mostly ride roads but I am thinking I might use my mountain bike because of not knowing what may be going on with the road. May be nothing to it or it may have some bad area's in it that I def don't want to take my Ridley up against.
    Have any of you ridden this road? I know that it is paved and that kinda (no definatly.) goes against mountain biking. But have you?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is this the road that goes from Warm Springs to Lake Simtustus then to Madras?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That I don't know. I know if you are going down 97 twards Madras after you go past the junction to cut back to The Dalles and after you go past the rest area there is a turnout, a person would start there and start down the road. It runs parallel with the current highway. There just isn't any traffic on it. There may be a reason for that. Might be fenced off or just to much damage to it. I don't know. it would be a short ride. 10 miles maybe.

mtbr member
    I rode down it probably 5 miles or so on my sled when I discovered it a couple years ago during winter - I'm certain it's covered in snow but I was perplexed as to why there was this "abandoned" road to no-where paralleling 97. Now I know why! It does run thru the Warm Springs Reservation and I'm not so sure they don't own it and don't want it used or trespassed on. It was pretty kewl tho, not a soul in sight for miles!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick G. View Post
    That I don't know. I know if you are going down 97 twards Madras after you go past the junction to cut back to The Dalles and after you go past the rest area there is a turnout, a person would start there and start down the road. It runs parallel with the current highway. There just isn't any traffic on it. There may be a reason for that. Might be fenced off or just to much damage to it. I don't know. it would be a short ride. 10 miles maybe.
    Different road. The one I'm thinking of is still open to cars and is off HWY 26.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    By looking at Google earth it looks like the section that caught my interest is only three and a half miles long. I did not realize that it crossed highway 97 and kept going. It hooks up with highway 293 and keeps going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I want to ride to portland on my road bike this summer... how far would this road go? trying to find routes that are not on the main hwy... at least as much as possible

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    I want to ride to portland on my road bike this summer... how far would this road go? trying to find routes that are not on the main hwy... at least as much as possible
    I road Portland to San Francisco last fall and went through Bend. I highly recommend highway 224 between Detroit and Portland. It has little traffic, perfect pavement, and beautiful scenery. Many primitive campsites as well. You're riding along a river/creek nearly the entire way.

1-PDX-Detroit - A bike ride in Portland, OR
    2-Detroit-Bend - A bike ride in Detroit, OR

I ended up just riding highway 126 instead of Old Santiam Wagon Rd. My trip was a bit masochistic, but I wussed out and skipped the dirt. The highway was fine though and I'd probably make the same decision again given my time constraints. However, if I was going to do just Portland to Bend I would hit up the wagon road if you can fit >32mm tires. It's unpaved and remote. You could cut off some of the dirt by heading north at Big Lake (NF-2690), which will put you back on pavement 8 miles sooner as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thats exactly what I want to do... so that clackamas hwy, is that paved?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes, all paved.

What day are we riding?
    Can have heavy motorcycle traffic screaming around corners as it is a popular route. I would never do that...just heard about it...from my friend...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    Can have heavy motorcycle traffic screaming around corners as it is a popular route. I would never do that...just heard about it...from my friend...
    I've heard that too.....from a friend......

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    my dad rides it with some of his riding groups. he said on popular long weekends it can get pretty congested, otherwise its not bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yea, I've had lots of friends implicity warn me of my road riding for the past 10 years. I'm still here. So the dangers are overstated or I've got mad skillz.