mtbr member
    May 2012

Oh ya!! Coming to Bend!

Finally making it to Bend for biking. Will be there May 12-17. Looking at VRBO rentals in either Riverwest or Old Town. Any suggestions? I assume we have to drive to trail heads?

I know some higher elevation trails will not be rideable yet, although did you guys have a low snow year?? Looking for favourite trails to ride either 3 or 4 days. Competent riders, full suspension bikes. Preferably no extreme left handed exposure. What is the mid May weather like? Variable I would guess?

Is the COTA our best resource?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Mid-May weather is a total crap-shoot. Week before Memorial Day is the Pole-Peddal-Paddle, and it is famous for being marked by a combination of snow, hail, rain, and beautiful sunshine, all on the same day. Often windy. So bring appropriate dudds.

As for trails, best to follow the "2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down" thread on this forum leading up to your visit and you will know where to go. If you can do at least one day, preferably the first day of your trip, with CogWild, you would be well advised, too, as they will put you on the best trails given available conditions. Should be able to rely on all the lower trails, including Phil's network (Phils, Kent's, Ben's & Whoops), Mrazak (out-n-back, if not the loop with North Fork), Wanoga Complex, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Will plan accordingly thanks GauchoGreg. Sounds similar to what we get up here in May. I will check out CogWild. Worse case we focus on drinking beer and shorter rides when the sun comes out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You will get some great rides in.