mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Oakridge updates?

Is Oakridge ridable and the shuttle running? Specifically ATCA for this coming weekend? I did it last year and it was f'n awesome.

mtbr member
    No. It's too soon, especially after a winter like we've just had.

The Willamette Mountain Mercantile (local bike shop)reports "trees down and lots of mud" and asks that people stay off the trails until things dry out. Oregon Adventures hasn't opened up for shuttles yet.

I would expect snow to still be out there, based on Alpine peaking at around 4800ft and photos of snow at 3000ft+ elevation in the Umpqua National Forest. Also on the post by the Merc linked-to above there is a post by Ian (who drives for Cog Wild) saying there's snow at Windy Pass.

I would also expect a ton of work still to be done on clearing trees. None of the Oakridge builders (GOATS, DoD, CCP) are working at any kind of elevation around Oakridge yet.

mtbr member
    Are chainsaws restricted now too due to birds or something like that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Are chainsaws restricted now too due to birds or something like that?
    Yes, there are such restrictions out there; they're noise restrictions to protect spotted owls and/or peregrine falcons. I think they cover all motorized equipment. I don't know what trails the restrictions impact.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Well darn. Guess I'll stick around Ashland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anybody know if the alpine trail is looking like it will be open by the end of May?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhore View Post
    Anybody know if the alpine trail is looking like it will be open by the end of May?
    Lower elevations appear to be rideable based on what I've seen from social media. Don't know about blowdown. Cog Wild has announced they will start running Oakridge shuttles on May 1st. No word from Oregon Adventures yet.

mtbr member
    I got a shuttle (almost to windy pass) last weekend with the transcascadia crew. Trail was new snow about an inch or 2 deep for a ways and then eventually cleared up lower down. I think that snow was from fairly recent. There is still a tree or 2 on alpine below windy and then there was a few on Tire mountain. Cloverpatch was cleared by TC the day before so that's clear. We got picked up at the bottom of cloverpatch.

people were riding up higher weeks before so the new snow I am guessing is melted now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good to hear, we are planning a trip memorial day and was a little worried about snow sticking around. It sounds like Oregon Adventures is planning on opening between May 10th & 20th per their voice messaging.

mtbr member
    Here's the latest report from the Willamette Mountain Mercantile. Looks like things are starting to clear up.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Here's the latest report from the Willamette Mountain Mercantile. Looks like things are starting to clear up.
    Thanks for the update. I'd love to get up there before things dry out.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Thanks for the update. I'd love to get up there before things dry out.
    LOL you've probably got 'til August.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhore View Post
    It sounds like Oregon Adventures is planning on opening between May 10th & 20th
    Oregon Adventures opened last weekend (May 5th). Things are changing day to day but I saw reports of shuttles going as high as Windy Pass on Alpine. Also saw photos of fresh snow from trail crew working on Lawler.

mtbr member
    I saw this quote from the link above, "Middle Fork-Has been cut out up to Sacandaga.* Last report of snow line was Chuckle Springs."

Anyone know about Forest Road 21? I'm hoping to get up there to camp and do a bit of riding over Memorial Day weekend.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'll be going out that way the end of this week. Waldo Lake looks like it might be a trail that my girlfriend and I can both enjoy (she's not huge on exposed trails). Will it still be snowed over? If it is, are there any other suggested trails in the area? I'm from out of state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchbanker View Post
    I'll be going out that way the end of this week. Waldo Lake looks like it might be a trail that my girlfriend and I can both enjoy (she's not huge on exposed trails). Will it still be snowed over? If it is, are there any other suggested trails in the area? I'm from out of state.
    Guessing its a ways too early for waldo lake.

mtbr member
    ^ And if it is snowfree (doubtful) it will be muddy with lots of blowdown. They don't typically get that all cut untill July 4th (I think?), just in time to enjoy a slow death by mosquito. You could try flat creek if you want some elevation, salmon creek, or as mentioned above the middle fork would be a great girlfriend ride. Fairly tame but fun and scenic.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    slow death by mosquito lol

And soon after by yellow jacket those little F's

mtbr member
    I'll be going out that way the end of this week.
    Gonna be a nice weekend all over the valley. Exposure is my "kryptonite" according to friends, so I know where your girlfriend is coming from. With that in mind, Alpine and Dead Mountain should both be good, and they're not so difficult or scary.

EDIT - and yeah, stay away from Waldo until August at the absolute earliest unless you want to be carried away by a self-organizing semi-sentient swarm of starving bugs. Unless you hear from someone you know and trust who has been there and didn't die and isn't covered in a rash.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 05-15-2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Waldo? Oh, no. No no no.

meatier showers
    ... Waldo Lake ... Will it still be snowed over? ...
    Yes, it will be. We just suffered a week that included snow at 3500'. Waldo is near a couple thousand higher than that. Last week I talked to a fellow who hiked into Waldo from Salmon Creek and said the snow was deep. The lake wasn't covered in ice, but the snow was deep.

Middle Fork Trail was offered as a suggestion. If I wanted to put my GF into a good mood, that's where I'd take her. Personally I like the Butcherknife to Rigdon Meadow section, out & back.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Lawler had significant snow patches Saturday 5/20 above 4000ft. Many of them melted out through the day and others we pounded ruts into. Others were still up to 3ft deep. The riding was great.

Oakridge updates?-img_2693.jpg

meatier showers
    Middle Fork Trail (Butcherknife to Rigdon Meadow) was a nice ride yesterday 5/20.
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Middle Fork Trail (Butcherknife to Rigdon Meadow) was a nice ride yesterday 5/20.
    Small world... Charlie and I missed you by one day. Middle Fork is quite nice right now. Tire Mt. and Cloverpatch are awesome too. Wish I had two more days down there. Probably have to return this week.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Small world... Charlie and I missed you by one day. Middle Fork is quite nice right now. Tire Mt. and Cloverpatch are awesome too. Wish I had two more days down there. Probably have to return this week.
    Heard you guys were in town when we hit the Pub Saturday afternoon after our ride. Sorry I missed you. I'm off tomorrow and might hit Dead Mtn or Salmon Cr / Heckletooth or Alpine or ???
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all your input, guys.

We ended up being quite a ways North of Oakridge due to our other plans. We ended up hitting a state park with some real mild trails and somehow found ourselves at Black Rock the second day with her having mild mountain bike experience and me on a hard tail. She loved the long climb up the gravel road (road bike background) and I made due on the trails so we made the best of a downhill park.

I wish I could have used all your expertise, but I'll file it away for a future trip.