Making fat cool since '71

Oakridge trailwork 5/10 and 11

We, the Disciples Of Dirt, are having a trailwork weekend this weekend. We will be in the Oakridge area again. We will meet at the Trailhead Cafe, 9AM both days.

Bring water, food, TerraHoes, loppers, Macloeds, pulaski, rakes, sense of adventure, gloves, sense of humor, and a desire to be a part of the reason folks from all over the country can enjoy the best backyard in the country.

Brock...
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 05-06-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: I've krashed won two meny thymes...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Tree Hugger
    To all the people who enjoy coming to Oakridge to ride in the summer, listen up:
    Our trails were hit hard by wionter storms, and there is alot of work to do. If you want to ensure your favorite trail will be open to ride this summer, come out and help us clear it. There are too many trails in oakridge that need work, and not enough people to do the work, so we need your help. Getting the Creampuff race course open will be a huge challenge that is likely to keep crews busy through the end of June, so this may be the best chance to hit up other trails in the region to work on.

Thanks for posting this Brock. I'll be there, ready to clear some trails.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    see y'all saturday to make make the goods get better!

SSconny (damien)

mtbr member
    i'll see you on sat. sunday is up in the air right now.
    jw
    it's not the crashing that sucks it's the rash that follows

mtbr member
    I'm in for Saturday, at least.
    Flaps

meatier showers
    I'm gonna be there Sat... maybe Sun., too. We'll see.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Sunday

I am in for Sunday. Saturday I have a class.

hankhank
    If you can think of nothing nice to say, it is time for trail work. -George Terror Hoe

Known Mountainbiker
    I have to help de-liver a wedding cake on Saturday but Sunday works for me.

Seizure there.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Photos from the Tire Mtn. clean up crew. Seeing this area really made me appreciate all the work that is put in by the various groups. It made me think back to MBO when Randy was telling everyone to thank the DOD for helping clean the trails and I thought "...so they go out there and rake the trails free of debris, big deal." After the work yesterday my opinion has completely changed. Not only do they (and the F.S) clean up the trail, they also cut out monster trees, and rebuild sections of trail. It brought a tear to my eye to know I was apart of such a dignified and upstanding group that worked on the trails...then Abe made a poop joke and reduced my opinion to just "a group that works on trails."
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Z,

Did you all succeed in clearing the blowdown from the bridge area?

I assume that it was Bob O of the USFS doing the saw work on the big one in the last photo??

I see that the trail needed complete relocating approaching the bridge from the west (Winberry/ Tire trail head end). Good work guys!

Our group worked on Middle Fork from Sacandaga CG up to Found Cr, approx. 3/4 mi. below Indigo Springs. We didn't encounter anything like what you all saw there, but it is a virtual golf cart path now. The biggest things to take out were ~8" logs.
    I am considering taking the CX bike out on that stretch. Woo-ha!

Flaps

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bob took the big stuff. We cleared a little past the bridge but there are sections where the trail just dropped away and will need to be recut. Fortunately there were only a few sections like that. Maybe a total of 30 yards that will need to be worked on. (of the area that we actually looked at)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2morrow
    Bob took the big stuff. We cleared a little past the bridge but there are sections where the trail just dropped away and will need to be recut. Fortunately there were only a few sections like that. Maybe a total of 30 yards that will need to be worked on. (of the area that we actually looked at)
    How far up did you walk?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    2-300 yards past the bridge. I cleared the tread but there are still a handful of 10-24in trees across the trail. Forest Service I think is planning on working on it again this week. Did anyone clear Winberry Divide?

mtbr member
    did you get any after shots? would love to see what you got done.
    jeff
    it's not the crashing that sucks it's the rash that follows

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Photos from the Tire Mtn. clean up crew. Seeing this area really made me appreciate all the work that is put in by the various groups. It made me think back to MBO when Randy was telling everyone to thank the DOD for helping clean the trails and I thought "...so they go out there and rake the trails free of debris, big deal." After the work yesterday my opinion has completely changed. Not only do they (and the F.S) clean up the trail, they also cut out monster trees, and rebuild sections of trail. It brought a tear to my eye to know I was apart of such a dignified and upstanding group that worked on the trails...then Abe made a poop joke and reduced my opinion to just "a group that works on trails."
    Dang-O-Pete! At least it did not take out the bridge.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    2-300 yards past the bridge. I cleared the tread but there are still a handful of 10-24in trees across the trail. Forest Service I think is planning on working on it again this week. Did anyone clear Winberry Divide?
    Last month's party got some work done on Winberry Divide. The players (that I can recall right now) on that section were RockhoundMTB, Cazloco, Sasquatch?? and ??
    They will be able to give the best info in that regard.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Last month's party got some work done on Winberry Divide. The players (that I can recall right now) on that section were RockhoundMTB, Cazloco, Sasquatch?? and ??
    They will be able to give the best info in that regard.
    I was working on Larrison Creek trail that day, but I'm pretty sure that Winberry Divide trail is open in it's entirety.

Known Mountainbiker
    Abe made a poop joke, really?

Thanks to all that got out this weekend! You're the best!

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Ya Darn Tootin'!

A big'en.

It was insane to help Bob O. cut out the monster at the bridge.
    He actually didn't even cut the big one out.
    He cut one that was under it and it went sliding down into the ravine.
    To see something that big slide down was surreal.
    Even he said he got scared a few times.
    He said that the big tree was about 500 years old.
    And I thought BobCanRide was old!
    Crazy stuff.

Gonna need much more love.......but we got a great start on it.

Hopefully the upper part of Tire doesn't look as bad.

-abe

P.S. Poop.

Tree Hugger
    Here are a few photos emailed to me from Jay in Westfir. One picture is from the Tire Mtn trailwork, and the other is Bob Obermayer's chainsaw set-up for a mountain bike. It looks like he uses a 4x4 block of wood to raise the saw high enough that the scabbard doesn't drag. Also, notice the fuel filled water bottles, and the ax hanging off the back end! Bob's a tough guy.
    There has been some interest in the concept, so I thought I'd pass the photos along.

Members who have read this thread: 0