Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Oakridge, OR - trail conditions and suggestions

Hey all! Spring finally sprung here in Seattle this weekend, well, sorta, in a Seattle sort of way, ha! With the beginning of the change of seasons, I am hoping trail availability will also be on the rise. I'm headed out on a work road trip to LA starting the weekend of April 5th and am planning on stopping in Oakridge, OR Saturday night so I can ride all day Sunday, then continue south again on Monday.

I have two questions ..... 1. What are the must ride trails?, and 2. What are the current conditions, expected conditions two weeks from now? I haven't been out almost at all this winter, so I am looking for a nice long, but probably lightly technical ride and it would be great to have some nice climbs and views as well. I do plan on calling The Mountain Mercantile in town, which appears to be the local shop to ask for suggestions and conditions, but was looking for some additional input from the group here, so chime in!

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Get a shuttle from Oregon Adventures. Their site also has trail descriptions.
    Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures

Alpine alone is pretty amazing if you've never ridden it before. Pulling in the Tire and Cloverpatch trails with a connector back up to Alpine is even better and will get you some more technical turns, but it'd be best to have someone along who knows the way.

If you can get ahold of one of the Adventure Maps it'd help you a lot to get a feel for the area.

I don't know the conditions. I'd imagine it's pretty wet up there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Get a shuttle from Oregon Adventures. Their site also has trail descriptions.
    Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures

Alpine alone is pretty amazing if you've never ridden it before. Pulling in the Tire and Cloverpatch trails with a connector back up to Alpine is even better and will get you some more technical turns, but it'd be best to have someone along who knows the way.

If you can get ahold of one of the Adventure Maps it'd help you a lot to get a feel for the area.

I don't know the conditions. I'd imagine it's pretty wet up there.
    Thanks, I had not heard about Oregon Adventures, looks like a wealth of information on that site alone. Alpine trail sounds like a really fun ride, fingers crossed it's rideable by next week!

Looks like you can now order Adventure Maps online, so I'll be pulling the trigger on one today!

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Warning!! if you are heading to Oakridge to ride trails. I was just recently traveling through Oakridge to check out the trails and I got a ticket for $300 for accidentally driving through town with my high beams on at 10:00 at night. Maybe that why this town never took off as the "Mountain Bike Mecca"

Any one else have story like this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roland123 View Post
    Warning!! if you are heading to Oakridge to ride trails. I was just recently traveling through Oakridge to check out the trails and I got a ticket for $300 for accidentally driving through town with my high beams on at 10:00 at night. Maybe that why this town never took off as the "Mountain Bike Mecca"

Any one else have story like this?
    $300 for brights? That seems excessive!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    that's exactly what I said!
    This town views mountain bikers as a meal ticket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow, that just blows... I know the poor town can't even keep one restaurant in business, but this type of revenue collection is "not sustainable", or very classy. BTW, do you have out of state plates? It should not matter, but I am curious. Three bills and I could get a dropper post... ouch.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    As a matter of fact! I live in Coos Bay and was traveling to Klamath falls and decided to rent a car. Sure enough it had Texas plates on it. So I didn't give it a second thought, surely these small town cops don't do this type of thing anymore. But here we are! These small towns must think out-of-towners will just pay the fine rather than come back to court and argue the point. And that's what I had to do, I couldn't take off work for a whole day.

mtbr member
    The times I've been to Oakridge I've had more problems with the local meth heads than the authorities. In fact, I've never seen a cop in Oakridge.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    All I can say is... if you have to go through that town, sit up straight, keep both hands on the wheel, and drive like my grandma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I talked to the local bike shop yesterday, sounds like before the last few days of rain, the trails were in good shape. I'm really looking forward to a day or two of riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Oakridge Is Receptive

Oakridge is receptive to mountain biking. Do you guys think that no one has ever been pulled over and ticketed in Bend, or Moab for or some other destination for a less than awesome reason.

This is a town of 3,000 with very few jobs. The businesses that are there appreciate and want business from bikers. The other locals are likely ambivalent. I've been pulled over in Coos Bay on the way home from kayaking trip, but I certainly don't think that the town is against boaters because one cop gave me a ticket for going 4 miles an hour over the speed limit. I didn't expect to be let off because I was buying a pizza down the road.

Most people that I talk to that visit Oakridge and ride and interact with the community have a great experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well good luck with that, you can cover the towns - "petty crime fee recovery program"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You probably shouldn't ever drive to Sandy Ridge either, since you obviously belong to a historically abused minority group, and have a hard time driving unfamiliar vehicles to boot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Regarding the trails....Tire Mountain (off of Alpine) just may be the best single trail I've ever ridden. My friend and I literally pulled over once just to ask ourselves if the trail was for real because it was so damn fun. Ripping thru the forest with awesome flow and stellar dirt. We then hooked up to Cloverpatch and did the connector back to Alpine but had tails handed to us on that one. Just like tbmaddux suggested, we never did find our way back to Alpine and ended up having to back-track and take a fire road back to town. That being said, I loved every one of those trails and can't wait to go back.

Other must do trails there are Larison rock, Hardesty and Moon point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I support the town and have no intention of slamming it, but I certainly "guessed" correctly about the plate's origin. Think about the last turn heading into town. My brights are on unless there is an oncoming car. The local law enforcement should exercise some common sense with this type of "offense". Do any of you have $300 to through away? Ridiculous... and hell yes, I would like a cafe in town instead of McDonalds. Does anyone remember the great Mexican place that used to be there... Rosalinas, I believe. Tasty enough to eat lunch after a morning ride, then hit another few trails in the afternoon. Excuse my nostalgic ramble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    we never did find our way back to Alpine and ended up having to back-track and take a fire road back to town. That being said, I loved every one of those trails and can't wait to go back.
    The trick was turning right at the Cloverpatch exit, then descend until the green forest gate on the left (NF-130), then climb and don't turn off the main gravel road. The climb back up to Alpine is on the left after a few miles. This map gives a feel for it but it doesn't show the various spurs that could lead you astray. We made the mistake of going left out of Cloverpatch and doing a long long steep climb to nowhere before we turned around and found our way.

Cloverpatch Tie-In Mountain Bike Trail, Westfir, OR

NEW: Cloverpatch/Alpine Connector | Disciples of Dirt

I think Moon Point was my favorite last year. Looking forward to MBO this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    The trick was turning right at the Cloverpatch exit, then descend until the green forest gate on the left (NF-130), then climb and don't turn off the main gravel road. The climb back up to Alpine is on the left after a few miles. This map gives a feel for it but it doesn't show the various spurs that could lead you astray. We made the mistake of going left out of Cloverpatch and doing a long long steep climb to nowhere before we turned around and found our way.

Cloverpatch Tie-In Mountain Bike Trail, Westfir, OR

NEW: Cloverpatch/Alpine Connector | Disciples of Dirt

I think Moon Point was my favorite last year. Looking forward to MBO this year.
    Great info here, I really appreciate your input. I am definitely planning on Alpine. I ordered a Adventure Map for the area, it hasn't arrived yet (fingers crossed it gets here today or tomorrow), I'm hoping it's detailed enough to identify this Cloverpatch Connector trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    tbmaddux....we made that same left and long climb to nowhere before we found the correct route. Our bigger issue was even when we got to the top of the connector trail of 21? switchbacks, we couldn't find our way back to Alpine. We even called the shop and they were no help because they hadn't ridden it yet. They told us it was only 1/4 mile up the road but we went 3/4 mile and never found it. Now I see you're saying it's MILES!! Oh well, maybe next time. Those switchbacks did me in anyway.

By having to backtrack, our 21 mile ride turned into 36....one of my friends commented "my best ride ever turned into the biggest nightmare ever". He had ran out of water and then slipped and broke his finger trying to filter water in a creek.

mtbr member
    As far as restaurants go, every time I go to MBO I hit Mazatlan for Thursday night dinner & have never had a bad experience there. Big Mountain Pizza is good too & the Brewers Union is a must stop for good food & beer after a long ride or drive. I haven't eaten at the Chinese place but have heard it's good too.

If you need another option you can also eat at one of the few remaining A&Ws where you park & order via an intercom & car hops bring your food out to your car. Kind of cool especially if you're feeling nostalgic or wondering how things were back in them thar old days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    As far as restaurants go, every time I go to MBO I hit Mazatlan for Thursday night dinner & have never had a bad experience there. Big Mountain Pizza is good too & the Brewers Union is a must stop for good food & beer after a long ride or drive. I haven't eaten at the Chinese place but have heard it's good too.

If you need another option you can also eat at one of the few remaining A&Ws where you park & order via an intercom & car hops bring your food out to your car. Kind of cool especially if you're feeling nostalgic or wondering how things were back in them thar old days.
    Good mexican food, this is music to my ears! And of course the beer too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Good mexican food, this is music to my ears! And of course the beer too!
    Oh, the trails are pretty good too. : )

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I will totally back you up in regards to the Brewers Union. That's it though... still no breakfast. Love the trails too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Our bigger issue was even when we got to the top of the connector trail of 21? switchbacks, we couldn't find our way back to Alpine.
    Oh yeah, that part. There's a few roads at the top you have to climb to get to the Buckhead Shelter. You can see the transition on the DoD page from the end of the switchback single track (red arrow). There's some roads marked in white you need to continue on to pick up the rest of Alpine to the east (red and white hatched line on the right hand side of that graphic).

It looks like they've also done some work below Jedi to eliminate that gravel road transition on Alpine.

Trail Goddess
    My only experience for good breakfast is the bakery just down the road from the Brewerys Union. She makes amazing breads, too. Can't wait to hit the trails in a month.
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast