Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What's the weather usually like in Oakridge in late May? Thinking of heading out there for memorial day. Out here in MT our up high trails won't be dry till late July.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RooR View Post
    What's the weather usually like in Oakridge in late May? Thinking of heading out there for memorial day. Out here in MT our up high trails won't be dry till late July.
    Where in MT are you? I'm from (and spend a lot of time) in Missoula, awesome place for riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm in Missoula. Super fun riding. Blue mountain is starting to dry out, but even the low stuff in the Snake looks to be a month away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    is alpine free of snow at the top?

next weeks weather is looking really good!

thax,
    chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    is alpine free of snow at the top?

next weeks weather is looking really good!

thax,
    chris
    I rode it today, and it's free of snow from the first drop in section, I rode up from Westfir, but I did not go all the way to the very top if thats what you are asking? I did see snow, just not on the trail, I suspect there would be at least a bit up higher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the input on this thread, great day today, woke up to fog and light rain, but the day cleared up and it was an awesome ride. That said, for my first ride out, after a few months off the bike, I got my ass handed to me, totally lost steam toward the top and paid for it on the single track, downhill sections. I'll be back, and soon ..... and hopefully in better shape!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How wet and snowy are the trails in Oakridge? Is Alpine trail rideable all the way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    How wet and snowy are the trails in Oakridge? Is Alpine trail rideable all the way?
    I rode Alpine on April 6th, and with the exception of a few tiny spots of snow in the shade, the trail was clear and not too muddy at all considering the time of year. I rode the fire road to Windy Pass and caught the trail there. A local biker passed me near the top and indicated the trail above Windy Pass definitely had snow on it. Previous to the trip down, I called the local bike shop (Oakridge Bike Shop-Willamette Mountain Mercantile llc) and then stopped in that morning for current conditions.

It was my first trip to Oakridge and I'll definitely be back soon!

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In general, Oakridge is in great shape for this early in the season. I was there on April 11/12 and rode the following:

ATCA - Rode up 1910 to Windy Pass, then 1912 to Kate's Cut-in. Getting to Kate's Cut-in required shouldering our bikes and postholing to mid-shin through snow on the road for 100's of meters at a time. This wasn't pleasant, and I wouldn't recommend it. Once at the cut-in, the trail was mostly rideable. The meadow itself was oddly clear of snow on most the grass, but the trail itself was holding 8-12 inches of snow that required walking. Shortly below the meadow, the trail stayed clear. Tire Mountain, Cloverpatch and lower Alpine were all in good shape. The Cloverpatch tie-in (where you climb back over to Alpine) was a bit soft/moist but rideable. Still lots of trail debris on all these trails, nothing you can't ride over, but I stopped several times to clear branches from my spokes.

Larimer Rock - good to go, top to bottom.

Dead Mountain/Flat Creek trail - good to go, top to bottom

Bunchgrass - the 7 miles west of road 5871 were all in great shape

King Castle -- good to go, top to bottom

The following trails I didn't ride, so don't have first-person info, but I'll repeat what I was hearing locally:
    Hardesty - muddy, stay off
    Moon Point - some folks were heading out to test it, but presumed snow would prevent a shuttle to the top.
    Middle Fork - presumably rideable below 4000-4500, but could be muddy in some of the river bottom sections.

I have no clue how much these conditions have changed due to precipitation over the past 2 weeks, but we've got a dry/warm week in the forecast, so I'd bet that conditions next weekend (May 3/4) will be great on most Oakridge trails below 4500 or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This thread is getting me really stoked for an Oakridge trip! Being a low snow year, I bet that the riding in June will be perfect.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Oakridge is The Bomb eh?

Oakridge, OR - trail conditions and suggestions-downie-oakridge-08-675.jpg
    Banned for showing Boobies.

I AM PEDALING!

Good job!

Heading through on our way to Washington on June 1st.
    Thanks for the info on this thread.
    I'm guessing things will be snow free in another two weeks?
    Any good camping spots close to the trails?
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

mtbr member
    Rode ATCA yesterday. Near perfect conditions. A couple of trees after the meadow, a few muddy spots and trees on tire mountain and cloverpatch. The cloverpatch connector to alpine had a few soft spots. I guess Oregon Adventures has a new private campground, I haven't seen it so know nothing about it. Here is their link:
    Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures

I AM PEDALING!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post
    Rode ATCA yesterday. Near perfect conditions. A couple of trees after the meadow, a few muddy spots and trees on tire mountain and cloverpatch. The cloverpatch connector to alpine had a few soft spots. I guess Oregon Adventures has a new private campground, I haven't seen it so know nothing about it. Here is their link:
    Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures
    Cool, thanks jaewannabe!
    We are definitly heading that way. We'll stop in, or call OA when we get there for info and maps.
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Headed back to Oakridge for a day this weekend en route to NV, thinking about hitting Lawler Trail. I was thinking about just climbing it and not shuttling, my map says its a 8 mile climb, anyone done it? Is it as steep as the dirt road climb to Alpine?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Oakridge, OR - trail conditions and suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Headed back to Oakridge for a day this weekend en route to NV, thinking about hitting Lawler Trail. I was thinking about just climbing it and not shuttling, my map says its a 8 mile climb, anyone done it? Is it as steep as the dirt road climb to Alpine?
    I have ridden the loop many times (about 25 miles). Similar to the 1910 climb. Some sections are steeper.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have ridden the loop many times (about 25 miles). Similar to the 1910 climb. Some sections are steeper.
    Dang, 8 miles of that would be a long slog for me .... may have to consider shuttle for this trip. How do you like the trail itself as compared to Alpine?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Oakridge, OR - trail conditions and suggestions

Dang, 8 miles of that would be a long slog for me .... may have to consider shuttle for this trip. How do you like the trail itself as compared to Alpine?
    The top few miles is rolling along the ridge, up and down.

Lawler is one of my favorite trails, varied surfaces and terrain. Very different from Alpine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Young's rock moon point rules

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very similar climb in grade and length. There are some steeper pitches, but overall its pretty much the same level of grind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Very similar climb in grade and length. There are some steeper pitches, but overall its pretty much the same level of grind.
    I did Alpine, only stopping once, but it was indeed a grind for me, I was a little more tired for the actual trail than I would have prefered. Thank you for the input, definitely got me thinking about just going for it ...... well, I might NOT thank you for it afterward if I do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2