Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Oakridge: early Memorial day ride

Hello from Bend. It looks as if we will have a small group commuting to Oakridge on Monday. We would like to be on the trails in Oakridge by 7-7:30am.

We would like to ride the Cream Puff loop for 2006. There is one guy who rode the Puff last year, but he does not have the trails down well. I am wondering if anyone in Oakridge would be interested in riding with us and showing us the trail system. I am currently training for the Cream Puff and would be forever grateful if some of you Oakridge Boys could show me and the crew a thing or two.

Thanks for your time. Look forward to hearing from you.

Shiggy, how's the knee? Any chance you will join us? Please chime in if at all possible. And last but not least, thanks for choosing me as one of the Cream Puff Crazys. I look forward to giving it my all.

Jason

mtbr member

CCP course update

FWIW, as of Saturday there was still snow on the upper portions of the course.We did not do the uppermost parts that include Saddleblanket Mtn and the Chrome Toilet Loop.

We did what will be most of the first of the two different loops. Don has the map posted, minus the latest proposed change, as of last week.We started at Winberry CG (near Aid Zero) up Rd 150, 151, 1802, 1824, 140, 142, to Aid 3 where we deviated from the course due to snow. At this point we went out on Rd 142 (with a good amount of drifts to walk over that were still 2-4 ft deep) to Rd 1912 and jumped onto Alpine trail down to the four way intersection of Rds 1910,1912,1802, 1911. From there we did what is the most recent proposed course change: on to 1911 to Alpine Tr, Tire Mtn for it's entire length (with about a dozen trees down), to Winberry Divide trail, to N Winberry Tie trail. CAUTION, this is a point at which you could get mis-directed easily on to the south Winberry Tie trail which would take you to North Shore Road. The trick is that the Tie trail forks about 50-100 yards after you've left the road (that's 1823). Take the right fork and you're golden. It drops you (like a rock, oh yeah, after a walk up hill for a little ways) back to that starting point. There is one tricky road connection in there and you have to know what you're looking for. A guide is the best bet if anyone will be up for it. Many of us will be doing trail maintenance on sections of the course, so I am unsure who might step up to the guiding task. We will be sure to label them slackers.

The second loop is much easier to stay directed on, or do I say that cause this is my backyard? You may want to ask yourselves which part(s) you want to do.

Disclaimer: Whatever you do, be sure you have a compass & printout of section two of the course map, and a USFS map (Middle Fork Ranger District map preferred) with you and know how to use them. And lots of food & water, or a filter (there are plenty of flowing streams as of last saturday).

Cheers,
    Flaps

Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Hello from Bend. It looks as if we will have a small group commuting to Oakridge on Monday. We would like to be on the trails in Oakridge by 7-7:30am.

We would like to ride the Cream Puff loop for 2006. There is one guy who rode the Puff last year, but he does not have the trails down well. I am wondering if anyone in Oakridge would be interested in riding with us and showing us the trail system. I am currently training for the Cream Puff and would be forever grateful if some of you Oakridge Boys could show me and the crew a thing or two.

Thanks for your time. Look forward to hearing from you.

Shiggy, how's the knee? Any chance you will join us? Please chime in if at all possible. And last but not least, thanks for choosing me as one of the Cream Puff Crazys. I look forward to giving it my all.

Jason

mtbr member
    Flaps,
    Thanks for the great post. Will GPS work in the forest. I will for sure bring maps, but I also have a GPS.

Anyone else want to chime in?

JC

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I would be willing to join in for part of it if I we can arrange a partial (semi-self) shuttle. Would provide a re-supply point, too. I would be on the trail with you for the tricky parts 'flaps mentioned.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

cream puff pre-ride

i think i might have a couple more guys that would like to join up. we are all doing the cream puff, so it would be great to pre-ride some of the loops.

do you have a meeting time and place yet?

eric

mtbr member

I'm bringing my Van...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would be willing to join in for part of it if I we can arrange a partial (semi-self) shuttle. Would provide a re-supply point, too. I would be on the trail with you for the tricky parts 'flaps mentioned.
    So we can work out a shuttle for the old bones...
    It's been a while Don, I have to get out of the "big city"
    Also get to work on a super cool job for me at the CCP, I'll be ready to work right after I make B' fast for JC...
    See yah monday.
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    What time does the THC open there in Oakridge? That always seems to be a good spot to consume the morning Joe and round the troops.

Shiggy-
    We will find a way to get you riding with us. Sounds like pins will have the syncro, and I will be coming down with a co-worker in his truck. The shuttle should not be a problem. So, the knee is doing better?

Eric-
    Please feel free to join in on the ride. We ( the Bendiets) will be leaving from my house at 5am! You hear that Pins? So, we should arrive at the THC right around 7am.

Pins-
    Is Eric from Washington going to be able to join us?

JC

mtbr member
    Shiggy-
    I just talked to my co-worker, and he feels his legs are limited to about 4 hours of riding. I just wanted to put that out there so you have an idea of how long a ride/shuttle to plan. Thanks for the help. Look forward to getting together in Oakridge.

JC

What time does the THC open there in Oakridge? That always seems to be a good spot to consume the morning Joe and round the troops.

Shiggy-
    We will find a way to get you riding with us. Sounds like pins will have the syncro, and I will be coming down with a co-worker in his truck. The shuttle should not be a problem. So, the knee is doing better?

Eric-
    Please feel free to join in on the ride. We ( the Bendiets) will be leaving from my house at 5am! You hear that Pins? So, we should arrive at the THC right around 7am.

Pins-
    Is Eric from Washington going to be able to join us?

JC
    The shuttle I am thinking of would be a bit longer than 4 hour ride time. 13-14 miles of rolling to downhill trail followed by 17 miles / +3500' of forest road back to the car. We should stick together for the trail section (junctions) but I plan on being nice and slow on the road back to the top.

The THC is closed on Mondays. Normally opens at 7:30 other days.

My knee is OK at best. I need to ride with a serious brace and lots of ibuprofen.

Hope the weather cooperates. It is dumping buckets here at the moment and has been for a few days. Forecast shows sun from Saturday on.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

No THC.....damn!

Any suggestions on a meeting spot then?

So, ride time? 4.5 - 5 hours? I just want to prep. Ted on the length.

Here's hoping for minimal rain. I mean, I'm a born and raised Oregonian, so I won't melt, but I can't speak for the others. Regardless I want to ride.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The shuttle I am thinking of would be a bit longer than 4 hour ride time. 13-14 miles of rolling to downhill trail followed by 17 miles / +3500' of forest road back to the car. We should stick together for the trail section (junctions) but I plan on being nice and slow on the road back to the top.

The THC is closed on Mondays. Normally opens at 7:30 other days.

My knee is OK at best. I need to ride with a serious brace and lots of ibuprofen.

Hope the weather cooperates. It is dumping buckets here at the moment and has been for a few days. Forecast shows sun from Saturday on.

Any suggestions on a meeting spot then?

So, ride time? 4.5 - 5 hours? I just want to prep. Ted on the length.

Here's hoping for minimal rain. I mean, I'm a born and raised Oregonian, so I won't melt, but I can't speak for the others. Regardless I want to ride.

JC
    I would say meet over here at the covered bridge in Westfir (park across the bridge at the rest area). That is where the "main" ride starts and finishes. Water, rest rooms. No meet and move then prep to ride (except for the shuttlers, but we will meet the group at the "top" and be ready to go when the group gets there).

Ride time would be ~5 hours/30 miles for us wimpy shuttlers. The 'Puff trainers could do up to 60 miles (the whole first loop) if the snow has melted. Shorter options are possible.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Flaps,
    Thanks for the great post. Will GPS work in the forest. I will for sure bring maps, but I also have a GPS.

Anyone else want to chime in?

JC
    Chiming in, but I'm too far away to join in. But please take a GPS and post a zip file of the track (gpx, tpo). I'd like to make some detailed profiles of the climbs. I won't see the place until the CCP.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Chiming in, but I'm too far away to join in. But please take a GPS and post a zip file of the track (gpx, tpo). I'd like to make some detailed profiles of the climbs. I won't see the place until the CCP.
    The new maps I posted have elevation profiles.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    If you could put up the TPO files for download that would be great. I'm looking to zoom in on sections and get the %grade.

mtbr member

Gps

Pacman-
    unforturnatley I'm not to savey with the new GPS yet, but if I can figure it out I will post a map.

JC

If you could put up the TPO files for download that would be great. I'm looking to zoom in on sections and get the %grade.

Try this: http://www.puff100.netfirms.com/puff_06_tiremtloop.zip
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Excellent. Thanks. (I'll work on penciling in 1802)

Excellent. Thanks. (I'll work on penciling in 1802)
    The toughest thing about 1802 is a couple of FAST gravel DHs into tight flat corners.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Camping in Westfir

Shiggy-
    Sounds like Pinsneedles and I are going to come down on Sunday, camp Sunday night and be ready to ride at 7am Monday morning. My co-worker will be meeting us at the covered bridge at 7am Monday morning, as he has a wife and little baby to tend to over the weekend. Any chance we could make use of your front yard for camping? We will be completly self suficent, in that, Pins in pimpin' the new and improved VW syncros van. The guy has been going nuts preping this van for the maiden voyage. Let us know what you think about stealing some of your grass for a night. I'm really looking forward to the ride. Talk to ya soon.

JC

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

folks from bend

we are planning having 3 to 5 riders looking to do 4-5 hours. we are trying to make the covered bridge by 7 am, hoping the weather holds. see you all there.
    eric in bend

mtbr member

Good job! Cool Eric

Last time I rode with you I had a couple of problems...
    I'll be ready to ride at 7 on Monday, I'm doin' it for the Troops; In Memoram
    Jason and I are hitting Bellnap for a little R+R soak, and hitting Oakridge around 6pm ?Sunday, if any of you guys want to camp let us know. Leaving Bend around noon Sunday.
    Happy Trails
    Jefe'

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

what campground?

Jefe,

what campground are you guys thinking about?

mtbr member

I'll know later...

I got's to call Shiggy, he'll know where to put us...I'll PM you our celly digits.

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    We rode Lower Alpine yesterday.. It was miserable. Everything is soaked up there, it was snowing at Windy Pass. Be prepared for a long cold wet day if you do the big ride tomorrow.

mtbr member

Weather

Brandon-
    Thanks for the vote of encouragement! I'm sure we will find some great trails to ride regardless of the weather, plus I'm bringing my wool.

Have a great Memorial Day! I'm sure we will.

JC
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    We rode Lower Alpine yesterday.. It was miserable. Everything is soaked up there, it was snowing at Windy Pass. Be prepared for a long cold wet day if you do the big ride tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast