mtbr member

Oakridge conditions

Anyone have any insight on the conditions around Oakridge? Specifically wondering about the Alpine trail. Looking for a 5 hour ride and it looks like a good choice right now (i.e. open to other options)
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Anyone have any insight on the conditions around Oakridge? Specifically wondering about the Alpine trail. Looking for a 5 hour ride and it looks like a good choice right now (i.e. open to other options)
    No *personal* knowledge but a guy posted on our "local" board here in San Diego that they just returned from riding the Oakridge and MRT area.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Trail conditions at the Willamette Mountain Mercantile (which is the local bike shop in Oakridge) as of a week ago say that Alpine is open from Windy Pass on down. Above that it's still got snow, same elevation as we found snow on Crawfish this past Sunday.

5 hours is very long for Alpine, but could be about right for ATCA. Tire and Cloverpatch both have trees down.

Dead Mountain could also be good. It's a hellish drive to shuttle it though.

Hope this helps,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Trail conditions at the Willamette Mountain Mercantile (which is the local bike shop in Oakridge) as of a week ago say that Alpine is open from Windy Pass on down. Above that it's still got snow, same elevation as we found snow on Crawfish this past Sunday.

5 hours is very long for Alpine, but could be about right for ATCA. Tire and Cloverpatch both have trees down.

Dead Mountain could also be good. It's a hellish drive to shuttle it though.

Hope this helps,
    Thanks a ton! We're riding a loop or out-n-back this weekend - no shuttle this time. We may do ATCA.

EMBA Member
    Looking to sign up for Mountain Bike Oregon this year. Never been to Oakridge - this is the year. I think the August dates sync up better with expected family commitments, but I could make the July dates work. Do both July and August usually sell out? Trail conditions in July would be better, I'd guess - what do you think? Thanks for any intel.

mtbr member
    July conditions are generally* better, less dry and blown out, particularly on the heavily-trafficked trails like Alpine. August is the one that seems to sell out and is more crowded. I don't know why*.

I'm signed up for July. Might be too busy for August, might not.

* A small caveat that it rained during July MBO a couple years ago and a lot of people were sad. Maybe this is why August is busier.

EMBA Member
    Signed up for August. Wanted July, but family stuff already on the schedule.

Signed up for Moon Point/lower middle fork, then ATCA, then Larison Rock. The looks of a no climb all descent ride the day after ATCA appeals.

What do people do about bike security when they are at dinner or shower or go into town, etc? Can't wait. Never been to Oakridge and really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    FWIW we aimed to do ATCA on Sunday.

The ride up to Windy Saddle was perfect. Gusting clouds rolled in near the top to make a dramatic scene. We went further up the road to the first major intersection in an attempt to do at least part of upper Alpine - no go. Still a ton of snow there but nothing from Windy on down.

Alpine, Tire Mtn and Clover patch were all dry and rideable. We only encountered one tree down, but there was an incredible amount of debris all over the place. I was constantly waiting to tear off my rear mech. Sadly after the second switchback on Clover patch, my wife's rear hub sort of exploded. We recovered 2 of 6 pawls, pushed uphill, coasted downhill to the dirt road connector, then elected the safe route back via pavement rather than attempt the climb to the Clover Patch tie trail. A well deserved burger at the Brewers union and we were headed back.

Next time we go back we'll wait for the upper portion of Alpine to dry out so we can do the full meal deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Signed up for Moon Point/lower middle fork, then ATCA, then Larison Rock. The looks of a no climb all descent ride the day after ATCA appeals.
    Larison Rock is an afternoon shuttle. It's not typically a Sunday AM shuttle and I verified that it's not on my signup list. So I'm thinking you signed up for the Triple (Dead+Aubrey+Larison) which is indeed almost entirely descent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    What do people do about bike security when they are at dinner or shower or go into town, etc? Can't wait. Never been to Oakridge and really looking forward to it.
    Bring locks. Bikes get stolen from the camp. The biergarten has one of those mass-lockup / bike hangers. I lock my bike near my tent at night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does anyone have any trail condition updates for Oakridge? I'm thinking of heading there next week. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Does anyone have any trail condition updates for Oakridge? I'm thinking of heading there next week. Thanks in advance.
    Best to check the trail conditions page of the Mercantile.

If that doesn't provide enough info, give them a call.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Best to check the trail conditions page of the Mercantile.

If that doesn't provide enough info, give them a call.
    Great info. Thanks for the link.

EMBA Member
    Changed my signup for August Mt Bike Oregon. Friday is the Moon Point ride, Saturday is Lawler/Hardesty, and Sunday is Alpine. If I am making a grievous error with these picks, please chime in.

First world problem/question - in the signup, you can select either Lawler or Hardesty first, the other second. Does it matter? I picked Lawler first.

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun. Did you remember the extra fee to do Moon Point? I'm not sure if their system is sophisticated enough to enforce it.

Lardesty vs Hawler is a debate that will never end. On the one hand you don't end your ride with gravel if you do Lawler first and on the other you don't climb in the heat if you do Hardesty first.

Be sure to ride to the overlook on Lawler (Lone Wolf/Patterson Mtn trail). Gets you a great view and the prettiest most fun parts of the ride are on the way down and just after you get onto the proper Lawler trail.

EMBA Member
    I did pay the $20 or whatever it was local trails fundraiser fee for Moon Point. Looks like a good day 1 option. 500 climbing gets me 4,000 descending over 16 miles of trail and riverside riding. Hard to go wrong with that.

All in it'll be 48 miles with 4,400 climbing getting me 16,000 descending. Breakfast and lunch provided. Free adult beverages. Shower facilities. Camping with a bunch of mountain bikers has got to be a little rowdy, which I like. Demo bikes, which I'll probably pass on except maybe if I do any other rides in the afternoon like the Larison Rock ride. Looking forward to it.