dusty paw tracks

For the Oakridge Boys: Bunchgrass and Waldo / Fuji connections

Some of us Bend riders are trying to plan an epic ride from Bend to Oakridge with as much singletrack as possible, for later summer / early fall. Most likely a 2 day supported thing. My question is about the section from Waldo to Oakridge - Bunchgrass Trail. I've done some searching here and it sounds like this trail is really green. Is it rideable as a link from Waldo or not?

If it needs lots of work, we may be able to volunteer some time helping out.

In case anyone's interested, our route will be something like this:

Option 1:
    Shevlin Park > Mrazek > Metolius Windigo >

Option 2:
    Phil's > Heli-pad > Skyliner's > Tumalo Creek > North Fork > Metolius Windigo > Kwoll Butte >

rest of the ride:
    Lava Lake > cascade lakes highway > Little Cultus > Lemish / Charlton > Waldo > Betty Lake > Gold Lake > Fuji (is there a better way to tie Waldo to Fuji?) > road 5883 > road 381 > Bunchgrass Trail > Heckletooth > and then to Oakridge and I'm tired just typing this.

About that Waldo / Fuji connection... last year we met a group of riders on Fuji that were coming from Waldo. They stated that they hadn't left singletrack... so maybe there's a trail connecter somewhere I don't know about. It's frustrating because on the map I have there is a very short Wilderness connecter via South Waldo that would be perfect if it weren't illegal to ride.

Singletrack Addict
    There's the Fuji Mtn trail and to the north there is the Mt Ray trail, both legal to ride. The Mt Ray trail intersects with the South Waldo trail which is a direct route to the lake, but cuts through the Wilderness. Heading south on the South Waldo trail leads to the Fuji Mtn trail. I have done Fuji from Waldo with the Betty-Bobby lakes connector to Gold Lake trail, then up Mt Ray and down Fuji, then back up Gold Lake to Waldo. (Add the looper around Waldo to make it an even 50 miles of S-track.)

I too am curious about the Bunchgrass trail. I was eyeballing that about ten years ago. Actually there was a group of equestrians encouraging us to ride it and help bed the trail. Never got around to it though.

The locals might have current beta.

High Speed Botanist

Bunchgrass conditions unknown...

For all we know there could be another 100 trees down on the trail after the winter we had. I've done some work on the trail the last few years, and it's getter better in parts. A few individuals have been doing all of the work to open this trail over the last 10 years, and we'll see if they can help to open it up again this year. The NWYC will be working two weeks up there also this year. Contact me about working and trail conditions once the snow melts, we'll be heading up to work.

As far as I know, the route from Waldo area is up Fuji mountiain, down and up a gravel road connecter, (5808 I think, Eagle Creek Rd.), then on to Bunchgrass and the rest of your route. What is becoming the more common epic ride around here is to get dropped off on the top of Eagle Creek Rd. and then ride back to Oakridge. This is a huge ride so be prepared as you could get into a lot of trouble out on Bunchgrass with there not being any bailout points.

dusty paw tracks
    We're happy to help out w/ Bunchgrass work when the time comes. Maybe we'll have to do a "recon" mission and the ride you suggest from the top of Eagle Creek before launching our epic Bend to Oakridge dream-scheme.

High Speed Botanist

Good deal....

Send me an email so I know to get in touch with you all before we head up to work. Should be a session in July and one in August, something like that. Most of us will be working on the Puff course until then. That's an epic you've got planned, sounds awesome. I'm guessing the others that rode all single track poached a bit of wilderness trail out of Waldo, I think that's the only route if you don't go up Fuji, 5883 (Eagle Creek), then 381. You know the area sounds like, we've got some extra goodies up there too Lots of potential for the future.

Seeya, Lou

mtbr member
    and FYI, the MT Ray trail does not connect with South Waldo trail except through Wilderness.

Figure on 4 hours if you think you are really, really fast going from Eagle Creek down to Oakridge, most people take between 6-8 hours and they are the fast ones. Heck it's only 27 miles and all downhill

Richard
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    and FYI, the MT Ray trail does not connect with South Waldo trail except through Wilderness.

Richard
    Not according to maps that I have seen. At least the route I am talking about.
    I followed this route 2 years ago and did not encounter an "Entering Wilderness Area" sign until the jct with the S. Waldo Trail in the saddle area between Ray & Fuji and then we went the opposite direction--south to Fuji.
    I'm not talking about climbing up the S Waldo Trail from the lake to the Mt Ray trail, but climbing up the Mt Ray trail from Rd 5897 to the S Waldo Trail. At this jct, Mt Ray continues west into the Wilderness and S Waldo heads north into the Wilderness and down to the lake, OR south to the Fuji Mtn Trail.

If my maps are out-dated and the boundary has changed I could be wrong.

dusty paw tracks

you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    I'm not talking about climbing up the S Waldo Trail from the lake to the Mt Ray trail, but climbing up the Mt Ray trail from Rd 5897 to the S Waldo Trail. At this jct, Mt Ray continues west into the Wilderness and S Waldo heads north into the Wilderness and down to the lake, OR south to the Fuji Mtn Trail.
    We did this exact ride last summer to check out Fuji. Never touched Wilderness.

I was surprised by how steep this ride is btw even before you get to Fuji. There was one insanely steep pitch that was hard just to hike the bikes up. Great riding too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hiked the bunchgrass ridge trail when I was 7 or 8. I don't remember it being too bad, should be fine if they cut the logs out. But that was a long time ago...

You're making me homesick dropping the names of all these trails back home.

High Speed Botanist

Working this summer...

It will once again take a good amount of work to make Bunchgrass a passable trail. In case you didn't know, it was wiped out years ago by the Warner burn. If you're interested in helping, make sure to contact me know at lswingATmsnDOTcom. I will post again before we go up to work, but it will be much easier to arrange times before doing that. Some people are cutting what trees they can right now while saw season is still open. No report on condition of the whole trail. Seeya there this summer, Lou

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, it was burned when we hiked it. I remember the fire vaguely, I was pretty young, and grew up in Oakridge. I'd love to hit the trails around there, and would even help cut them out. Unfortunately, I'm currently stationed in WA and don't make it down there much.
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die."