Metalheadbikerider

NWTA proposal for Riverview

For all details click here

Thanks for your support.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    I'm not that familiar with Riverview. Can these trails in the proposal be measured in miles?

And good to see there is an uphill trail in the plan.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

it means 'no problem'
    Nice work NWTA!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Metalheadbikerider
    That's a good question. These trail designs are really just rough draft options, but they are intentionally placed where they are for a number of reasons. If they were to be built they would probably look a bit different.
    We wanted to include a couple of uphill options, including a more challenging climb.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider
    Cheers! Now comes the hard part, trying to get the plan put into action (or at least some of it). Politics. I will keep the Board posted with opportunities to get involved in the process. Stay tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    Nice work NWTA!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like a cool plan for the area. The challenging climb area is a good DH trail. Shame
    Hopefully we can get this plan into action and not let IMBA sanitize all the trail features with their "flow" designs.
    Personally I'd like to see this trail system get hammered out by local volunteers rather than contracted out like sandy ridge. Maybe I am totally wrong but it seems like trails would get built faster that way.

FKA Malibu412
    Finch, have you ever ridden SR? Actually, I know you have. What, 15+ miles of varying levels of mostly sustainable trails...all hammered out in around 3 years by a contracted trail builder and volunteers...handling 1000s of riders a month...most riders think they are fun? That SR?

Actually, I've followed the build progress of a few trail systems (and help with some) here in the NW and the build pace per mile of SR was/is pretty much on par.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've built trail at SR and the bulk of it is done by ant farm (very thankful for them) and contracted crews in the earlier days. Now the money is drying up and new trail progress is slowing. Volunteer crews are only allowed to help out just a few months out of the year and have little say in what happens with the trails. I don't want to see that happen with river view. I realize that it will because of politics and liability with the city.

And in my opinion all but about two trails, TTM and FTL are basically flow trails. Upper H&S is getting better now days but mostly because all the work efforts are focused elsewhere and upper hid and seek gets left alone. I have been to many build days and feel I've experienced this first hand.
    Just my opinion and I really know nothing about building an entire trail system. I just know there are plenty of Xc options/flow trails and very little true difficult trails.

mtbr member
    While volunteer-built trail usually results in a nice customized feel, it moves at a really really slow rate. MTBers show up once or twice for builds and then feel they have done their share, but new trail doesn't get far on weekends only. Just as money dries up, so does volunteer enthusiasm.

Stub Steward is completely volunteer built and averages only about 1/2 mile per year. Despite 100s of acres of land that is already allocated for mtb use, there is not enough volunteer support to the reach the potential that the park offers. Hopefully Riverview will have good success with the ride to where you build distance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I feel river view would have more successes with volunteer help. I've built at stub once but it's really not a local trail system to me like SR so I just haven't put hours in there like I have sandy. I think this is probably the case with a lot of volunteers regarding stub.
    It would be so cool to be able to really rally the troops with a trail system that is in most of our own back yards.
    I live on Oregon city and it's only a 15 min drive to river view and I ride there often when conditions are good.
    A good example of trail possibilities that may never happen due to politics and money is Newell Creek Canyon in Oregon city. It has the potential to be everything sandy ridge is. The city has approved it for mtb trail use but currently doesn't have the money to get the ball rolling. If they would just let the mtb community at it we would have some trails but that won't ever happen. I guess that is the point that I'm trying to make and that frustrates me to no end.
    Other states or for example BC have amazing trails because they go out and build what they want to ride. Unfortunately around here we have to build politically correct flow trails that take a decade to actually happen. Maybe it's time for me to move.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    River view is a small plot of land that will never be sandy ridge, but it will be a milestone for the mtb community in the city limits. I'm really hoping that things will move along quickly and can be an example for some other local lands.

Metalheadbikerider
    There is an article up on Bikeportland now. Feel free to head over and add some positive comments. His blog definitely attracts a wide-range of readers (including people at Parks, I believe), so the more positive comments the better.

BikePortland.org

Cheers!