Metalheadbikerider

NWTA meeting recap

Last night's meeting was standing room only (I counted over 50 people) so I figured others would also like to learn about the projects that were discussed last night.

1. Dan Kauffman talked about the currently being developed Salmonberry Master Plan, which is a trail to connect Banks to Tillamook. This has the exciting potential of also linking to current trails in the Tillamook Forest, and the possibility of new trails being built. This could be HUGE! More info here: Salmonberry Corridor Coalition | Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and Oregon Department of Forestry

2. The owner and manager of First City Cycles talked about some great things in the works in our backyard, Oregon City. They have an already established dirt jump park, and hopes to build a Sandy Ridge-like trail network as well. This is exciting news for all of us as Oregon City is only about 15 minutes away. Stop by First City Cycles to chat it up, or connect with them and stay informed with their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OregonCityTrailAlliance

It's a great time to be a mountain biker in our area! There are a lot of people doing a lot of great things for us.

Next Month's meeting will be a "How to dial in your suspension" tech talk at the Lumberyard. Bring your bike and get it dialed in with the support of others. If you have never been, this is a great opportunity to check out the Lumberyard. NWTA members and non-members always welcome!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Too Much Fun

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    It's a great time to be a mountain biker in our area! There are a lot of people doing a lot of great things for us.
    Agreed. So glad to hear about the meeting turnout. Good stuff. I feel like our beloved sport is undergoing a real renaissance.

Progress continues, largely thanks to all the tireless work from so many. Many thanks to all who are out there making it happen. Let's keep the momentum up!

While I've been an IMBA/NWTA/OBRA member for years, my goal this year is to get out and do more actual trailwork, which has been tough with two small kids. Now that the kids are riding too, I'm going to be bringing them to the work parties when I can.

Next Month's meeting will be a "How to dial in your suspension" tech talk at the Lumberyard. Bring your bike and get it dialed in with the support of others.
    Cool. BTW, when will the NWTA membership discounts come back at Lumberyard? It was a bummer those went away.
    - -benja- -

Metalheadbikerider
    Not sure about that. You would have to contact The LY to find out. I do know that they always offer ride discounts for NWTA members when we have meetings there, and we are having two there this year. They will also be offering food and drink specials for us those nights.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

it means 'no problem'
    Last night's meeting was standing room only (I counted over 50 people) so I figured others would also like to learn about the projects that were discussed last night.

1. Dan Kauffman talked about the currently being developed Salmonberry Master Plan, which is a trail to connect Banks to Tillamook. This has the exciting potential of also linking to current trails in the Tillamook Forest, and the possibility of new trails being built. This could be HUGE! More info here: Salmonberry Corridor Coalition | Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and Oregon Department of Forestry

2. The owner and manager of First City Cycles talked about some great things in the works in our backyard, Oregon City. They have an already established dirt jump park, and hopes to build a Sandy Ridge-like trail network as well. This is exciting news for all of us as Oregon City is only about 15 minutes away. Stop by First City Cycles to chat it up, or connect with them and stay informed with their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OregonCityTrailAlliance

Next Month's meeting will be a "How to dial in your suspension" tech talk at the Lumberyard. Bring your bike and get it dialed in with the support of others. If you have never been, this is a great opportunity to check out the Lumberyard. NWTA members and non-members always welcome!
    This is great news! Portland area mountain bikers deserve more places to ride!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update for those of us who couldn't make it this week! Being new to the area, I had no idea about the OCTA. I'll have to check them out.

Also +1 on getting NWTA discounts for the Lumberyard for getting more people out and riding on a regular basis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Salmonberry Master Plan will just turn the old railroad grade into paved or pee gravel trails, Not what I call a Mt bike trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha249 View Post
    The Salmonberry Master Plan will just turn the old railroad grade into paved or pee gravel trails, Not what I call a Mt bike trail.
    Regardless, it's going to be pretty nice.

I'd be curious hear more about the possibility of new trails being built due to the Salmonberry Trail.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha249 View Post
    I for one agree with you. It will be nice to have a paved path off the road for families and road bikes, maybe even runners and some mountain bikes. They don't belong on the highway, for sure. But too bad a great opportunity for a dirt trail is missed. But maybe, just maybe, this will give access to some areas where trails can be built. The Tilliamook Forest is wide open and waiting for some champions (IMHO).
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Metalheadbikerider
    Yep, but if it can connect to some current mtb trails or lead to the construction of new ones that would be great.