Calm like a Bomb

November Activities in Portland..Can I ride?

So I will be in portland from November 20th - 28th and was planning on bringing my road bike and maybe renting a mountain bike a couple days.

Am I crazy for thinking it wont be snowing and I will be able to ride, should I just plan on snowboarding?

mtbr member
    I would bring rain gear if you're looking to ride and if you're just looking to ride a MTB in Portland don't bother renting one unless you can make the drive to BR or Post. As far as snowboarding goes keep your fingers crossed for snow.

Calm like a Bomb
    So would it be better to bring the mountain bike and make some trips to the trails? I would rather ride in rain on the trail then the road

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    it is extremely unlikely to be snowing in town at that time. however you could probably 'board at mt hood which is only an hours drive or so... i'd agree w/noparking that if you are looking to mtb in town the options are so limited that its not worth renting a bike unless you are willing to drive an hour or so to ride (south to black rock outside of salem or east to post canyon outside of hood river).
    road riding here is perfectly safe in the rain, just gotta watch out for wet leaves. fenders are good too.

Calm like a Bomb
    I went to blackrock a couple years ago and would be more then willing to travel to the trails, I was thinking I would have to drive outside of Portland anyways.

Metalheadbikerider

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed
    I went to blackrock a couple years ago and would be more then willing to travel to the trails, I was thinking I would have to drive outside of Portland anyways.
    Bring a mtb. Rent a mtb. There is plenty of riding to do in Oregon at that time of year. Any time of year really. There is Hood River, Coastal Range, Black Rock, the Gorge, and closer to town there is some XC riding at Scappoose.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Obviously Single

BR or Post?

Quote Originally Posted by noparking
    I would bring rain gear if you're looking to ride and if you're just looking to ride a MTB in Portland don't bother renting one unless you can make the drive to BR or Post. As far as snowboarding goes keep your fingers crossed for snow.
    LOL.

Like BR/Post are the only kinds of riding around here.

I guess they _are_ the most popular types of riding, but you can XC year around here, if you don't mind a little rain.

Better to use a rental bike than your own in the mud. Search for info on the Wilson River Trail. If you're looking for dirt, this will serve you better than the road bike.

As far as rentals, I'm not sure but I think Fat Tire Farm rents nice bikes (though it may be spendy).
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Will you be driving to get here? If so, bring them all. There's a pretty good chance that it will be wet, but there's also a pretty good chance that it could be nice, who knows. As for snow in the mountains, there's a good chance that lifts wont be running by November 20th, but they could start up by the 28th, and there has been times when they're running in early November, but there has also been times when they don't start running until mid December.

Weather's a crap shoot in Oregon, so I'd come prepared, if you can.

To answer your question, yes there is mtb riding near Portland.

Wilson River Trail
    Gales Creek, StoreyBurn Sictor Lars
    Tarbell Trail
    3 Corner Rock
    Syncline

And the already mentioned...
    Post Canyon
    and
    Black Rock

But I'd go with the others I mentioned if your looking for a trail ride.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Calm like a Bomb
    I will be flying so it would be too expensive which is why I thought bring the road bike and rent a good MTB

I rode scapoose last time and also made a trip out to blackrock and loved it. Last time I had my wife this time I will be solo so just dont know how safe it is riding out solo during the week so need to find a trail with traffic

mtbr member
    I will be flying so it would be too expensive which is why I thought bring the road bike and rent a good MTB

I rode scapoose last time and also made a trip out to blackrock and loved it. Last time I had my wife this time I will be solo so just dont know how safe it is riding out solo during the week so need to find a trail with traffic

Forgot about Scappoose.

And if you referring to safe as...The a-holes that break into cars at the Scappoose trail head, then it wont matter if your alone.

But ya, probably not the best idea to ride a place like BR or Post Canyon alone if your riding the man made features.

Calm like a Bomb
    WHy do you say forget about scapoose? Yea I figured places like post and BR would not be smart solo...isnt there some trail outside of Portland where there are atc trails or a gun range or something

mtbr member
    WHy do you say forget about scapoose? Yea I figured places like post and BR would not be smart solo...isnt there some trail outside of Portland where there are atc trails or a gun range or something
    That was "Forgot". I meant, I "Forgot" to add Scappoose to my list above.

You may be talking about Syncline when asking about the gun range.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    That was "Forgot". I meant, I "Forgot" to add Scappoose to my list above.

You may be talking about Syncline when asking about the gun range.
    Or Brown's Camp.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Avoid Post Canyon

It really gets trashed during the rainy season and is for the most part cat crap mucky when it rains. Avoid it! Go to Syncline when it rains. Forest Park is a toxic waste dump in the rain but Leif is okay for a workout. I ride most of the winter but avoid it during particularly wet periods and on trails that really need to be left alone in the winter due to damage potential. The gun club is on Hospital Hill which sucks tail when wet.

mtbr member
    There's a gun range at the bottom of Hospital Hill in White Salmon, WA (across the Columbia from Hood River), but there are plenty of trail options there that avoid becoming a wheeled clay pigeon. There are plenty of other trails in the Gorge beyond Post Canyon & the Syncline too, Discover Bikes, Mountain View Bikes & Dirty Fingers Bikes in HR are all good places to check on current conditions.

With what it costs to check a bike as baggage these days, I'd think about traveling light & renting a roadie or trail bike as needed. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Have fun.