mtbr member
    Dec 2006

North Umpqua Trail - Solo trip or ride with women's group

I am coming to Oregon (my home state) this summer, and I really want to ride all or part of the NUT. Problem is, I don't know anyone that would ride the trail with me. I do have someone that would check on me at each trailhead and shuttle me if necessary. Do you think it would be safe for a female to ride alone? Or are there any women's clubs or groups that have outings scheduled on the NUT? I've looked at tour companies like Cog Wild, but I'm not really wanting to do a coed ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jckid
    I am coming to Oregon (my home state) this summer, and I really want to ride all or part of the NUT. Problem is, I don't know anyone that would ride the trail with me. I do have someone that would check on me at each trailhead and shuttle me if necessary. Do you think it would be safe for a female to ride alone? Or are there any women's clubs or groups that have outings scheduled on the NUT? I've looked at tour companies like Cog Wild, but I'm not really wanting to do a coed ride.
    It's pretty easy to get lost out on that trail, plus mechanicals & risk of injury as it is a pretty technical trail in spots would make me say to do a group, or at least find a few girls who would do the ride with you. Cog Wild is a great tour company & employs some really cool women who can also ride tha pant's off some of the boys, definitely a fun group to ride with in my book.

mtbr member
    The trail can be quite remote and I personally would not want to be out there on my own if I got hurt.
    How is this for an idea: We only need four guests to confirm a trip on the Umpqua - do you think you might have some friends or we could get enough riders from MTBR to make a trip happen while you are here? I would love to do a women's trip of the Umpqua, we might need to use one male guide, but we might be able to pull it together!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild
    The trail can be quite remote and I personally would not want to be out there on my own if I got hurt.
    How is this for an idea: We only need four guests to confirm a trip on the Umpqua - do you think you might have some friends or we could get enough riders from MTBR to make a trip happen while you are here? I would love to do a women's trip of the Umpqua, we might need to use one male guide, but we might be able to pull it together!
    This might be a possibilty. I don't really have any friends that ride, though, so I wouldn't be able to get anyone to come along. I took a look at your website, and something like your 3-day weekend trip on the NUT might be good. I don't know exactly when I'll be coming to Oregon, but I was thinking sometime in June or July, but I am flexible at this point.

I was also looking at your one-day Umpqua trip. Do you know what dates you'll be offering this trip? I'm probably not in good enough shape to seriously attempt the whole trail in a day, but I assume that I could bail out somewhere along the way??? I could at least start the ride with your group, and then I could have someone ready to pick me up at one of the trailheads along the way. Is something like that possible?

mtbr member
    I would so be into having our July 18th date a women's only date if that would work for you. We could then post it on the women's board and see if we could find 3 more women to come along. The only thing that might be silly is that we probably will have one guy guide along as we only have one female guide who is familiar enough with the NUT to guide it. It is a long trail and I would only want guides who are familiar with all the fire roads and start and ending points to be guiding. The guide I have in mind is super cool and a great cook! How does that sound?

mtbr member

Nut Women's Ride

I'd be willing to bet you could round up a few women for such a ride by posting on the Disciples of Dirt mountain bike club Yahoo group. Check out the links below, the first is the official D.O.D website, the second is their Yahoo group. There are quite a few women riders in this group. I wouldn't be surprised if some female D.O.Ders are keeping tabs on the Oregon MTBR forum. Good luck! I'll be riding the top end of the NUT in early August but I don't fit the description.

http://www.disciplesofdirt.org/
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DisciplesOfDirt/
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Thanks for the idea about DOD. There is always a thin line between wanting to make the tour happen and people thinking it is spam, but putting something on the DOD and PUMP sites makes sense! Are there any other organizations that might be interested that I am forgetting about?
    We also have one other single female who has contacted us with interest in doing the Umpqua this summer, so I sent her an email as well. But just curious - jckid - any idea when you might know if the dates work for you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild
    Thanks for the idea about DOD. There is always a thin line between wanting to make the tour happen and people thinking it is spam, but putting something on the DOD and PUMP sites makes sense! Are there any other organizations that might be interested that I am forgetting about?
    We also have one other single female who has contacted us with interest in doing the Umpqua this summer, so I sent her an email as well. But just curious - jckid - any idea when you might know if the dates work for you?
    Sent you a PM...