mtbr member
    Aug 2007

North Umpqua Trail Conditions

I was wondering if any of the Roseburg locals, or others, would have information about the NUT. Looking at a Memorial Day weekend trip down that way. Hoping to not get thwarted by tons of blowdown. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    In the past I've been able to get good trail info from the region's ranger district (USFS).
    http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/rose...formation.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I rode the Panther, Mott and Tioga sections a couple of weeks ago. Panther was rippin' and Mott was good. Tioga was another world. Maybe 15 blowdowns. Snow levels were 3500ft then. Maybe you can ride from Tokatee Lake by now?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dread and Terror is now good to go. There were a few patches of snow above Lemolo Falls, but that's it, everything has been cleared.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    any updates for this year? thinking mid may, and with the low snow, hoping to ride a few days
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just talked with the ranger station up there. They said "upper sections"--couldn't specify which, still have some snow but melting quickly. Hot springs segment got washed out by high water. still working on the fish ladders at soda springs, so you have to detour out to hwy 138 to get around that. Official trail report says that calf creek bridge is out, but you can walk or bike across it one at a time, just no stock. Other than that, sounds like it's good to go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Oh, and I'm gonna head up and check it out this weekend, I'll let you guys know how it looks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for that. I'm sure that I will ask more questions, once you are back

mtbr member
    CharlieC

Ditto thanks, for the information, and your return RR!

Much obliged- look forward, GS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Alright, had a great day up on the North Umpqua yesterday! I'm tempted to tell everyone it sucked, because I had the trail all to myself and it was awesome.

I did an out and back on the deer leap section. Trail was in good to great shape. Over the 10 miles or so of trail, there were probably 8 or so downed trees across the trail. Looked like some new water bars had recently been dug. There was only one small section of trail that needed to be walked because running water was creating a mean rut.

Snow line is about 3500 feet right now. Dread and terror is still under snow. Below 3500, it's pretty much wide open. Tons of water in the streams from the snow melt, super beautiful right now.

Get up there and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds like fun. I rode the dread n terror section 2 summers ago and loved it. I prefer it to the mckenzie river trail. Here's my contribution to mtn bike pleasure
    N.Umpqua Dread 'N Terror
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    will be riding this in mid may, and mid week and I have a few questions:

1) What are the best 3 sections to ride. (that are going to be clear of snow/trees) 15-20 miles total each? Rode it 2 years ago, and dread/terror was great.

2) does anyone do a bike shuttle for the area? would love to park, or camp at the end, and get a ride "up" the trail and come back to camp

3) best camp ground? private or public. Will be in a truck, with a small pop top camper, (with water, heat, stove) so dont need anything, but a shower is always nice if avail.

Known Mountainbiker
    Tioga section 5/5/12 out and back from Swiftwater park trailhead: Trees have yet to be removed by FS but it seems to be keeping the horses off. Trail work (thank you!) east from BLMrd 220 (susan creek) is a sloppy mess until the mile 9 marker. I'd suggest staying off this section until it dries up. East from marker 9 the trail is is good shape except for trees. Poison oak is in abundance as always

There's a carry-out near Marsters section (maybe) and there's a dude in there that will shuttle you (maybe).

Hobo camping is excellent along the umpqua but you may want to camp near tokatee hotsprings.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    As of 5/6/12, the lower section of dread and terror is good to go. The top 5 miles still have snow. I would say that in two weeks the whole thing will be good to go. We cleared a bunch a stuff off the lower section and overall it is in great shape!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    will be riding this in mid may, and mid week and I have a few questions:

1) What are the best 3 sections to ride. (that are going to be clear of snow/trees) 15-20 miles total each? Rode it 2 years ago, and dread/terror was great.

2) does anyone do a bike shuttle for the area? would love to park, or camp at the end, and get a ride "up" the trail and come back to camp

3) best camp ground? private or public. Will be in a truck, with a small pop top camper, (with water, heat, stove) so dont need anything, but a shower is always nice if avail.
    I've ridden the Dread and Terror but so have you and it looks like it might not be clear when you get there but I'll give you what I know. There is camping at the bottom of the section at the North Umpqua Hot Springs. There were a ton of other people camping but if you headed east up the dirt road past the Hot Springs Trailhead, you'll probably find some solitude.

2) The Lemolo Lake lodge had at least an informal shuttle as of a couple years ago. I can only imagine that he's still doing it. His info is here
    Epic Shuttles
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

wet but ridable...

Just spent a few days there...everything was wet, but still in good shape...

Dread and terror is open, just a few blow downs....that combined with hot springs and deer leep is probably the best single track in the northwest. one bridge is out on hot springs segment, but it's not too bad to wade across, 2 most western miles of deer leep and all of jesse wright are closed because of damn construction.

Marsters was ok, not my favorite, didn't have the flow of the other sections

Calf, Panther, and Mott were all great, but had increasing amounts of poison oak as you dropped in elevation. Kind of annoying, great trails, but if you ride them definitely use ivy block and tecnu and be prepared for some itching.

We skipped tioga, heard it was too wet.

Last bit of advice - dread and terror is a beast on your drive train. Make sure your bits are lubed and in good shape and bring extra links. Lots of wet sections and several steep torque requiring ups and downs in transition mean shifting has to work well.