mtbr member
    Apr 2004

North Umpqua conditions?

Anyone have firsthand comments on current conditions on N Umpqua trail?

I talked to some rangers that told me it was clear of snow below about 3500 feet, which implies that things west of Hot Springs trailhead might be rideable. Unfortunately, these are office-bound rangers and they don't have anyone checking directly on trail conditions.

The forecast later this week and into the weekend looks really good, so I'm considering hitting the lower half of N Umpqua while passing nearby, but it would sure help to have some local observation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode Tioga and Jessie wright segment last weekend and both where in great shape though they both had a few blow downs to climb over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info Yamaha. Any particular reason you didn't hit the 3 or 4 sections between Tioga and Jessie Wright?

Its been years since I hit these lower sections, so I don't have a good sense of what sort of condition they are in (even when the climate conditions are good).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode the sections two separate days. Most of the Umpqua stays relatively moist year round for the lower cascades because of all of the creak crossings and how low in the valley the trail is. Deer leap and the burned out sections are some of the drier ones in the summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll answer my own question, for the possible benefit of others who may be contemplating a trip to the Umpqua.

Based on the forecast and yamaha's positive comments above, I spent Sat-Mon at the Umpqua. Did Tioga on Sat and Deer Leap on Sun with a newbie friend. Conditions were generally very good. Very little mud. Some dampness/softness here and there, but nothing problematic. Some trees on the trail, the worst of them are on Tioga, but its just 5-6 or so.

Since conditions were promising, I rode the 51 miles from Hot Springs to Swiftwater on Monday. Deer Creek (~ one mile west of Hot Springs) was easily forded with bike on shoulder and a tree branch for balance. All the segments were good. Panther in particular was really nice. I counted 25-30 dismounts for downed trees in the 51 miles, most of them easy step-overs.

Obviously the coming week of rain will change conditions, but the Umpqua is a good candidate for the next dry spell.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I'll answer my own question, for the possible benefit of others who may be contemplating a trip to the Umpqua.
    Awesome info. Thanks for the update.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Headed up to the N.umpqua May 25. Besides possible rain should most of it be clear by then? What about poison oak? Will Oakridge be clear around that time too?

Thanks,

Mark

mtbr member
    Thinking about a summer bike pack of the full North Umpqua from Kelsay valley trail head to Swiftwater park. Is it reasonable to do it over 2 nights with a mid afternoon start the first day? We are used to 20-30 mile days with 2-3k climbing.

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Anyone have firsthand comments on current conditions on N Umpqua trail?
    Updating with current current info

Rode D&T down to the Marsters TH over the weekend.

There are a couple of trees down on D&T, but they are easily surmounted.

About 1/2 mile past an intersection with a hiking trail (I think Bergman Bluff?), you get to a short flat section of trail just before it starts heading uphill. There are a couple of small dips in the trail in that flat section, and there is a yellow jacket nest in the ground in one of those dips. Either go around the nest, or be first in your group.

I like the nice new bridge at the top of the Hot Springs section. (Last time I rode this was in 2009.)

Deer Creek is still easily fordable.

I first spotted Poison Oak about two miles into Deer Leap and saw more and more of it as we progressed. It's mostly in clumps and easy to spot, but it did kind of kill my ride flow to watch & avoid. There are a few areas where it's overgrown into the trail and it's going to get you no matter what, so wear your long socks and don't stop.

There are six trees down on the Jesse Wright segment. All but one required a stop/dismount/bike toss procedure.

Still one of the best trails in the PNW.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."