mtbr member
    Feb 2011

North Coast Trail Alliance - Astoria Clean Up Day 2016 success!

We had our NCTA cleanup day at the location of our future trail system near Astoria. 25+ people showed up and we spread out and cleaned all we could from Pipeline Rd and its various feeders. Some of the stuff we found was so gnarly....several mattresses, TV's, carpet, clothes wash machine, microwaves, trash bags full of diapers and syringes, literally a 100+ elk / deer carcasses. Insane smells. We filled a 20 yard box.

Flip side is we are looking at some of the most jaw dropping perfect riding potential anywhere around the PNW. Conditions are very similar to coastal BC, no real surprise as these are coastal mountains. Loamy coastal rainforest. This area is basically to the east of the Astor Column and predominantly on the backside of Astoria. Goal is to have ride from town access. What it lacks in elevation it more than makes up for in space and topography. The location is Sandy Ridge -ish in access as there is a 3 mile road to the top with the potential for a 5 mile trail drop to Youngs Bay. Unknown what the DOF has planned for the gate at the bottom but they are 100% behind this project

NCTA wants to thank Recology for donating the dumpster and dump fees, Rusty Cup for the morning coffee to get us going, and Fort George Brewing for the cold ones when we were done!

North Coast Trail Alliance - Astoria Clean Up Day  2016 success!-ncta-cleanup-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Euuuuuugh. I think you found something worse than the hardest day I've ever had out digging in the forest. Thanks for doing that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good report! 🎩🎩🎩
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Euuuuuugh. I think you found something worse than the hardest day I've ever had out digging in the forest. Thanks for doing that.
    Hey Tim - yeah it was something else for sure....mind boggling. All we could talk about all day though was how much fun this place will be. We will need to setup some reciprocal dig days with Team Dirt but you guys for sure are leading by example.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    ... literally a 100+ elk / deer carcasses. Insane smells.
    Ok, there has to be a story behind that. Poachers, or did a whole herd stampede off a cliff?

mtbr member
    Nice work. I've always thought the coastal hills looked prime for trails.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Ok, there has to be a story behind that. Poachers, or did a whole herd stampede off a cliff?
    Well, imagine if Falls Creek Rd wasn't gated and if the location was any closer to town....this has been a hunting carcass dump ground for decades, as well as any other sort of red neck trash you can imagine. We actually laughed that the first trail will be named the Bones Brigade due to the staggering numbers we found up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Whenever you do a trash cleanup, be aware of discarded 55-gallon drums. They may contain toxic/hazardous/flammable waste and should only be handled by appropriately trained personnel.

If you encounter discarded drums, secure the area and contact your local environmental agency.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Whenever you do a trash cleanup, be aware of discarded 55-gallon drums. They may contain toxic/hazardous/flammable waste and should only be handled by appropriately trained personnel.

If you encounter discarded drums, secure the area and contact your local environmental agency.
    Hey Curveball - for sure those would be appropriate steps, thankfully 50 gallon drums were one of the few things we didn't encounter. Honestly the sheer number of syringes freaked me out more than anything in a sealed can or canister. Close second were the carcasses. Good tip though, thanks.