troubled economist

New trails open at Sandy Ridge - "Follow the Leader" and "Flow Motion" - July 2013

These are the east side trails that have been in the works for a while, with a ton of trail work/shaping on the lower section done by volunteers for the May NWTA trail maintenance day. Total Sandy Ridge mileage now around 15 miles, with multiple different loop options.

One cool aspect is that these new trails end at the halfway cut-in for Hide and Seek, meaning you can roll from Flow Motion (with it's bermy goodness) right into Lower Hide and Seek. Flow Motion also has an entrance, so you can hit TTM/H&S/etc., exit at the H&S halfway, and then a short climb to the Flow Motion entrance makes for an added bonus for an end of run.

Follow the Leader: A 1.65 mile advanced trail that features a challenging double black diamond segment. Riders start at the upper info kiosk and traverse a couple scree fields before fording Little Joe Creek. From there, the trail drops 350 feet in the next mile with some exposure, big grade reversals and plenty of opportunities for skilled riders to get off the ground.

Flow Motion:
    A 0.75 mile intermediate flow trail with incredible soil and more than fifteen huge berms. The trail drops 275 feet through a nice Doug fir and hemlock forest before crossing the road and tying directly into lower Hide and Seek Cut.

Via the NWTA post. The NWTA Trail Wiki has also been updated.
    dig...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky View Post
    These are the east side trails that have been in the works for a while, with a ton of trail work/shaping on the lower section done by volunteers for the May NWTA trail maintenance day. Total Sandy Ridge mileage now around 15 miles, with multiple different loop options.

One cool aspect is that these new trails end at the halfway cut-in for Hide and Seek, meaning you can roll from Flow Motion (with it's bermy goodness) right into Lower Hide and Seek. Flow Motion also has an entrance, so you can hit TTM/H&S/etc., exit at the H&S halfway, and then a short climb to the Flow Motion entrance makes for an added bonus for an end of run.

Follow the Leader: A 1.65 mile advanced trail that features a challenging double black diamond segment. Riders start at the upper info kiosk and traverse a couple scree fields before fording Little Joe Creek. From there, the trail drops 350 feet in the next mile with some exposure, big grade reversals and plenty of opportunities for skilled riders to get off the ground.

Flow Motion:
    A 0.75 mile intermediate flow trail with incredible soil and more than fifteen huge berms. The trail drops 275 feet through a nice Doug fir and hemlock forest before crossing the road and tying directly into lower Hide and Seek Cut.

Via the NWTA post. The NWTA Trail Wiki has also been updated.

Went up there this morning and hit all those new trails. Yep very epic!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Awesome. This place just gets better and better.

Too Much Fun

New trails open at Sandy Ridge - "Follow the Leader" and "Flow Motion" - July 2

Great stuff! Hit them today and loved it. So glad to see more technical features. Gets me ready for BC XC riding!

Thanks to all who put in the time!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    I'm excited! Can't wait to hit it. ANyone GoPro it yet?

B42
    mtbr member
    Obviously I need to work on my banked turn skills, because there are some jumps that look completely out of reach for the speeds I'm going on Flow Motion. About half way down there is a large double (off a rock on the left I think), anyone clearing that?
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Got an early start this morning and hit the new stuff right away. After the climbing is out of he way the first few corners are steep and challenging. So awesome! The rock gardens are super rough and full of lines. They make the west side rock garden seem smooth.

If more legal trails are built like this, some might be able to take a break from building rogue trail.

Major props to all that were involved.