mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New trails, Maston?????

I was out at Maston today and a bit confused. I saw some new trails marked and the N. side of the inside loop was closed to mtb and marked as "horse trail only". Did not see anything on the COTA site and havent heard anything here.

Any new trail maps available? Any insight? I want to ride but not sure the routes.

mtbr member
    COTA has been working out there a lot lately.

@seenyourcrash can probably fill you in.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    COTA has been working out there a lot lately.

@seenyourcrash can probably fill you in.
    Lots of pin flags on the East side of Maston. Crash should have more details. I know there are new trails and reroutes in store.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    its a breeding ground for birds, so they are re routing some of the trails... there was a post on FB about it.

Afric Pepperbird

mtbr member
    We worked on a new trail "North Rim" out there yesterday. Finished an entire section. Great little trail. Goes right along the deschutes canyon. Go ride it while it's COLD!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We worked on a new trail "North Rim" out there yesterday. Finished an entire section. Great little trail. Goes right along the deschutes canyon. Go ride it while it's COLD!

I am going to go out tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me where to start? What trails do I go on? I usually ride the inside loop since my riding partner, my dog, can only handle 10 miles. Is the new system longer?

Keep Singletrack Single
    Nice little section. Rode it yesterday. Well done COTA!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    great ride, did the outter loop with sketch and it was awesome at 8 am

mtbr member
    Yeah - make sure you go EARLY. I've never seen so much mud and ruts. It's ridiculous. New trails are being formed around all the mud. We were out while it was frozen and it was great, but an hour or so more and it would have been a disaster.

and like I always say...

RIDE IT WHILE IT'S HARD!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    winnnnnnnnning!

Keep Singletrack Single

New trails, Maston?????

Yeah - make sure you go EARLY. I've never seen so much mud and ruts. It's ridiculous. New trails are being formed around all the mud. We were out while it was frozen and it was great, but an hour or so more and it would have been a disaster.

and like I always say...

RIDE IT WHILE IT'S HARD!!!!!

Depends entirely on what you are riding. For trails, yes. Other activities....;-)

mtbr member
    Winter riding in Bend is a blast
    Go when itís freeze-dried and fast
    As the old timer knows
    Itís best when itís froze
    And keeps all the mud off your ass

mtbr member
    Yep, new trails out there. Some of them are going to add some much needed technical segments and views! Best way to learn a trail system is to help build it....

When: Saturday, February 23
    Meet: 10:00 A.M.
    Where: Maston Juniper trail head
    Work site: Maston. Work from 10 Ė 2. Lunch at 2:00

Come out and join the Hutchís and COTA for a work event at the Maston Trail Use Area. We will be building trails from the trailhead to the existing trail system and installing directional signs and trail marker posts.

Directions to Maston Juniper trail head:
    Drive to the town of Tumalo, follow Cline Falls Highway north, passing Newcomb Road at 4.4 miles. Juniper trail head is the first dirt road on the right, approximately 3 miles farther.

COTA is now providing food and soft drinks at ALL work events with Deschutes Brewery donating beer! (You have our many wonderful sponsors to thank for that!)

Please bring a hydration pack with water and a snack.
    Be sure to bring appropriate layers to accommodate whatever the weather may be.

All COTA trail work events require the following safety measures:
    All participants are required to have the following protective clothing and equipment:

Sturdy shoes or boots
    Gloves
    Eye protection with clear or light colored lens
    Long pants
    Due to COTAís insurance requirements and the inherent dangers of trail work, we must implement the following policy regarding children at work events:

For anyone 14 years of age or younger, we require one parent, guardian, or responsible adult for supervision of every four kids attending any COTA trail work events.
    All minors under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian available to sign our waiver.
    Anyone who arrives for a work event may be turned away if he/she cannot meet the above requirements.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Great job on the new segments at Maston. It's drying up and is a great ride. You can see all the work that has been done and they have some great additions from the Rim trail on up. Looks like it was a busy weekend. I'll have to reserve some time off to help during the next work event.