Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

new shuttle business in Ashland

http://www.ashmtnadv.com/index.html

I just heard about this today and figured I'd share it. For $200 you get a season pass for the service, as somebody local I think I'd be able to make it worth it seeing as how gas is going through the roof. I mean the drive from the valley to Mt. Ashland has to eat up about two gallons in a truck and that adds up fast. Not sure about coughing up $15 per use otherwise though. Anyway, just thought people would want to know about it.

Known Mountainbiker
    Nice ad.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Uh, didn't mean it as an ad, I have nothing to do with them. I was wondering though if there are other companies that do this in the state and if people think it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, a great resource for out of towners or locals for that matter looking for a little gravity assist, especially when the wife can't be talked into doing it. That may come in handy if I come down for the Spring Thaw Super D race to try out the course a day a two before the race. Nice website, well done and thanks again!

JG
    Ride On!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    ... especially when the wife can't be talked into doing it. ...
    Back when I was married, that's when I went riding, too. I rode my bike a lot back in those days.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Known Mountainbiker

SPAM is a resource?

Thanks for the link, a great resource for out of towners or locals for that matter looking for a little gravity assist, especially when the wife can't be talked into doing it. That may come in handy if I come down for the Spring Thaw Super D race to try out the course a day a two before the race. Nice website, well done and thanks again!

JG
    The link is fine. Posting prices is an ad aka SPAM regardless of what out of towners want. Who's to say that me trying to sell bike parts, for somebody I have nothing to do with, on this thread wouldn't be a great resource for out of towners or locals?

Here, let's try it:

I just heard about this today and figured I'd share it. For $200 you get a bike frame...Blah blah blah. Anyway, just thought people would want to know about it.

Caz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sullie
    Uh, didn't mean it as an ad, I have nothing to do with them. I was wondering though if there are other companies that do this in the state and if people think it's worth it.
    Cog Wild does it, out of Bend. Great company & good riders for giudes as well

Don't know why your post bothers anyone, it is good info to know, as I like to hit up Ashland once a year & it's good to know I have options to get to the top of Mt Ashland.

Metalheadbikerider

I've had a similar idea...

I just heard about this today and figured I'd share it. For $200 you get a season pass for the service, as somebody local I think I'd be able to make it worth it seeing as how gas is going through the roof. I mean the drive from the valley to Mt. Ashland has to eat up about two gallons in a truck and that adds up fast. Not sure about coughing up $15 per use otherwise though. Anyway, just thought people would want to know about it.
    for a business like this in Portland. Basically, a service that (given the cost of gas) would take riders to destinations on Mt. Hood from PDX every weekend. I guess it would make sense to drop XC riders off at the trailhead, and then take the shuttlers up for multiple runs while the XC guys are getting their groove on. Before seeing this ad I was thinking about just getting guys to a trailhead, but now I see the potential of adding a shuttle option. Everyone meets at the final spot for beers, chow, and good conversation.
    Now, if teaching ever gets old....
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

AW_
    locked - time out
    Thanks for letting us know. Prices are relevant info and I appreciate that as well.

And the spam attack dog? Chill out. Is there nothing better to complain about today?

Personally, I think the Oregon forum would be more useful if locals used it for buying and selling along with bickering about politics with Jaybo.

Carry on.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    ... bickering about politics with Jaybo.

Carry on.
    People don't bicker with Jaybo, Jaybo bickers with people.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Known Mountainbiker
    And the spam attack dog? Chill out. Is there nothing better to complain about today?
    Not until you piped in.......

Stop bickering about my bickering!

Caz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    The link is fine. Posting prices is an ad aka SPAM regardless of what out of towners want. Who's to say that me trying to sell bike parts, for somebody I have nothing to do with, on this thread wouldn't be a great resource for out of towners or locals?

Here, let's try it:

I just heard about this today and figured I'd share it. For $200 you get a bike frame...Blah blah blah. Anyway, just thought people would want to know about it.

Caz
    Dogma,

Let the moderators do their job if they choose to do so and mind your own "bis-wax" or clean out your nose ring or whatever is in that noggin of your's.

JG
    Ride On!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    That may come in handy if I come down for the Spring Thaw Super D race to try out the course a day a two before the race.
    FYI, the Spring Thaw and the "12 mile super D" are 2 separate entitys... There will be too much snow on Mt. Ashland to come from the top in a month anyway.

Bill from Ashland Mt. Adventures came in to the shop last Saturday and gave me the heads up on his business. He and his wife are genuine nice folks and I wish them the best... Only time will tell if the rest of the town can deal with all the excess people coming to ride now that they know the goods! (He has a story on the home page of Pinkbike currently.)

P.S. This isn't "SPAM" either...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007

No good C'mon tourists

Yippeeee

Help us turn catwalk into a rutted f'n moonscape as soon as the chainsaws come thru and the skiers run outa snowpack. Yup were four seasons of big fun just like Northstar now.

Yippeeee were a big time destination resort with world class dining and theatre

Tourists gotta love 'em:

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup
    Yippeeee

Help us turn catwalk into a rutted f'n moonscape as soon as the chainsaws come thru and the skiers run outa snowpack. Yup were four seasons of big fun just like Northstar now.

Tourists gotta love 'em:
    Sorry dude, but yall done been discovered!

You can look forward to every punk with a freeride bike heading up to Ashland to hit "Little Whistler" this summer.

That's what you get for being so close to California!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Sorry dude, but yall done been discovered!

You can look forward to every punk with a freeride bike heading up to Ashland to hit "Little Whistler" this summer.

That's what you get for being so close to California!
    Don't worry guys... This "Punk with a freeride bike" stays on Martys and doesn't ride Catwalk unless it's the spring thaw...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup
    Yippeeee

Tourists gotta love 'em:
    Yippee!
    You live in a beautiful town with great trails, just like here in Bend, so consider yourself lucky that you don't have to drive or fly for hours just to ride great trails.

& BTW, Northstar trails are far & away much better than Ashlands, both XC & DH, but you wouldn't want to go there, that would make you a tourist tearing up THEIR trails

Oh, while I'm at it, it was sunny & 55 degrees yesterday, rode the Deschutes River Trails, was a nice change, dirt was perfect for the first 7 miles, then a bit of snow, but great ride just as well, needed a Horseridge break

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    Yippee!
    You live in a beautiful town with great trails, just like here in Bend, so consider yourself lucky that you don't have to drive or fly for hours just to ride great trails.

& BTW, Northstar trails are far & away much better than Ashlands, both XC & DH, but you wouldn't want to go there, that would make you a tourist tearing up THEIR trails

Oh, while I'm at it, it was sunny & 55 degrees yesterday, rode the Deschutes River Trails, was a nice change, dirt was perfect for the first 7 miles, then a bit of snow, but great ride just as well, needed a Horseridge break
    Word to that, I am sure the "drop ins" or weekend tourists can get annoying especially in a smaller town, but that's the price for easy trail access and year round recreation like Hood River and Bend as well. Trust me there are many downsides to living in Portland and other bigger metro areas, where you got thousands of people and minimal trails to ride. I am afraid that Mt. Ashland is just a peanut hill in the mtb scene compared to Tahoe, Whistler, etc like Inkpad said. Probably do some good for LBS's of Ashland and the mtb scene as a whole in Southern Oregon to get a little more exposure down there. I woudn't worry too much about Californians coming up to "rape" the trails, since they got tons of great riding in northern Cali, they just come to buy up all the land and to get reprieve from the masses

Inkpad, that's cool you got out for some good trail riding, I had a great ride in the gorge myself yesterday, and am looking forward to coming down to Bend for my pre-summer Central Oregon fix mid/late May with the family to ride and chill a bit.

JG
    Ride On!

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

Shuttle Services in Oregon

Okay, I apologize for dredging up an old thread, but I was curious about shuttle companies in Oregon...

Did anyone use the Ashland service? Any feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    for a business like this in Portland. Basically, a service that (given the cost of gas) would take riders to destinations on Mt. Hood from PDX every weekend. I guess it would make sense to drop XC riders off at the trailhead, and then take the shuttlers up for multiple runs while the XC guys are getting their groove on. Before seeing this ad I was thinking about just getting guys to a trailhead, but now I see the potential of adding a shuttle option. Everyone meets at the final spot for beers, chow, and good conversation.
    Now, if teaching ever gets old....
    I happen to live in the Portland area and have seen several threads about individuals doing shuttles with fellow riders, but I cannot seem to identify a company that provides regular shuttles from the Portland area to, well, anywhere.

Am I missing something? I'm familiar with CogWild. Is there another thread that identifies shuttle services in Oregon or the greater PNW? Is there not enough perceived demand for such services from Stumptown mountain bikers? I'm more of XC guy, so I'm not just talking about DH shuttles.

Has this been discussed ad nauseam and I missed the epic thread?

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    Okay, I apologize for dredging up an old thread, but I was curious about shuttle companies in Oregon...

I happen to live in the Portland area and have seen several threads about individuals doing shuttles with fellow riders, but I cannot seem to identify a company that provides regular shuttles from the Portland area to, well, anywhere.

Am I missing something? I'm familiar with CogWild. Is there another thread that identifies shuttle services in Oregon or the greater PNW? Is there not enough perceived demand for such services from Stumptown mountain bikers? I'm more of XC guy, so I'm not just talking about DH shuttles.

Has this been discussed ad nauseam and I missed the epic thread?

If such a service existed here, which trails do you think would be appropriate for shuttling (besides Syncline)?

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    If such a service existed here, which trails do you think would be appropriate for shuttling (besides Syncline)?
    Frankly, AW_, I'm not sure. What I do know is that Portland is regulary dissed for not having enough (much, none, zero, zip, nada, etc.) mtb action within easy biking distance from one's home - or, more specifically - the downtown core. Generally, the figure given is roughly 1-1.5 hours to decent trail riding.

I also know that there are several local riders offering or willing to schedule shuttles. I've never had the opportunity to partake of one of those shuttles, but the fact that they're being offered at all is somewhat suggestive of demand for such a service.

For me, personally, I'm having troubles figuring out exactly how to transport my 29er on my motorcycle. Moreover, I'm not sure I can even get my 29er to fit on TriMet's bike racks, so I can't even use them to get me closer.

Anyhow, that's the long way of saying that I don't know which trails may or may not be appropriate for shuttling - if any. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts/suggestions on the matter. And, as something to ponder, my personal interest is more along the lines of cross country riding (I ride a rigid... but not a SS) rather than DH.

I guess everything is on the table, excepti, of course, Syncline...

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Oh, wait... having grown up in Eugene, I love MRT. Sadly, I haven't been on the trail since I left Eugene in 2000. MRT is such a fantastic trail, I could see a regular weekend excursion from Portland.

The downside, unfortunately, is that increased use - especially in any type of short-term volume such as tours/shuttles - would require increased trail maintenance.

AW_
    locked - time out
    So you basically just need to get to the trailhead?

Check out the pics in this thread:
    http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums//sh...ad.php?t=14268

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    So you basically just need to get to the trailhead?

Check out the pics in this thread:
    http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums//sh...ad.php?t=14268
    Thanks for the link! On a personal level, yes, I just want to get to the trailhead.

That being said, I am also quite curious as to why there isn't a shuttle service in Portland. Is there not enough demand? Is the risk too high? Costs too high? Not enough good trails? Why hasn't a LBS filled the gap - if for no other reason than marketing?

On the other hand, perhaps there are enough trails that are close-in for PDX riders, therein, eliminating demand for such a service?

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    Bill and his wife (Ashland Mountain Adventures) are super nice people, and run a solid shuttle service in Ashland. My buddies and I have used their services a few times and haven't been disappointed. Recommended.

Plus, if you have a chance to ride w/ "Wild" Bill, he makes you work to keep up-- he's one fast rider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast