Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    troubled economist

New Sandy Ridge trail: Quid pro flow

Coinciding with the Santa Cruz demo day on Sunday is the opening of another section of trail off the 338 trail.

The new trail, "Quid Pro Flow", will continue off the end of the 338 jump line, duck into the woods for a bit of singletrack, then open up into its own jump line that's longer than the 338 section! The technical trail flows along the ridgeline west (and parallels an old road bed), then undulates as it traverses back to meet up w/ the original 338 loop.

Thanks to the BLM, IMBA, Jason Wells, and the crews out there this summer (Ethan, Bama, and the youth crew) for making this happen.

Stop by on Sunday to check it out and if you like riding Sandy Ridge, consider giving back at an NWTA trail work day this winter (monthly, November thru May).
    dig...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sweet! Can't wait to try it out.

Let's roll.
    Great name, too. Looks like I'm Sandy-bound this weekend.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy View Post
    Great name, too. Looks like I'm Sandy-bound this weekend.
    Gonna take the kids for a stroll?...'cuz we both know you don't ride mountain bikes any longer.

Brock...

PS: I smoked meat...and ate it in your honor-ish.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Let's roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde View Post
    Gonna take the kids for a stroll?...'cuz we both know you don't ride mountain bikes any longer.

Brock...

PS: I smoked meat...and ate it in your honor-ish.
    Challenge accepted. See you up there this weekend?
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

Making fat cool since '71
    Yep. Pick me up at Rancho del Brocko at 7:45 and have my coffee hot.

brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to checking it out.

And love the name.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

B42
    mtbr member
    I couldn't wait and went to go look at it yesterday evening. That team has done a great job. The multiline through the jumps is terrific addition to the trail and will appeal to a lot of people this way.

The amount of rock work is almost unbelievable. Have fun everyone, I'm not sure how you couldn't.

Thanks for building such a great place, and who is "Cody" of "Cody's Kicker". I think that's what the sign said.

troubled economist
    Here are some teaser pics from Ethan who's been leading youth crews up there this summer building new trail (both QPF and the other new trail that drops off 338 viewpoint to H&S).

I'm pretty sure Cody is one of the summer workers (see photo 3).

[Photo Credit = Ethan Furniss]

dig...

B42
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the pictures. They really show the multiline in the first picture and The Cody Kicker (you either jump the kicker or burn the corner). I'd bet we have some GoPro video by the end of the weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just spent the last 5 hours up there and managed 3 laps through the new Quid Pro Flow. I'm freaking speechless. The mentioned rock garden work is killer - looks intimidating at first glance but I cleaned both sections on the third try, actually had more problems with the short rock drop after that. The huge flowy berm to jump to berm is magic. There's a decent climb out from the bottom, all single track and a couple of uphill techies.

These guys are putting their experience to work and have waaay stepped up the trail building skills. Insane amount of fun. The run from the top of 338 through to hide n seek and back to the car is now a real deal lengthy blast. Face hurts from grinning

MattSavage
    I'm not afraid to say this might be the funnest segment of trail in the United States... It has everything: techy rocks, booters, berms, narrow xc single track climb out... Guys with 30" bars might want to watch it in a couple spots.

Anyway, soooo much fun! Amazing work and huge thanks to the builders for the job well done! I just hope they keep the gravel out of there....
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I really enjoy Sandy Ridge and am deeply looking forward to riding this new section. Yes, I do have to add please, please no more gravel....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    I'm not afraid to say this might be the funnest segment of trail in the United States...
    Easily most fun I've ever had on any trail I've ridden in Oregon / WA. The real deal again though is upper 338 to upper hide n seek to lower hide n seek back to the car...close to 7 miles of single track, 90% of it downhill

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Living near Windells allows me to hit Sandy Ridge pretty reugularly and watching this trail system develope and grow more and more popular each year has really amazed me. Just when you think it cant get any better they go and add this new trail! It trully is a gem! [I]t has a little bit of everything and then some.....i find myself doing multiple laps on it constantly in the past week.

Hats off to all the trail builders. I know there are a few youth work groups that have put in many hours building the trails and the work they are doing is incredible. Thank You!!

CB

ps. do you think the new trail will be part of the super D at all?

Insanity later
    Add my name to the list of fanboys. Unbelievable!! That trail system just gets better all the time. I heard they have plans to add another couple of miles before November. Bring it on.

The ultimate would be to include some singletrack alongside the paved climb so you can avoid roads altogether, but I don't know how realistic that is, and I'm surely not complaining about what they've done to date.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Trail looks awesome, I see they have a new trail guide map as well. The last trails were awesome but its a bit of a drive. Any videos would be sweet to see

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    The ultimate would be to include some singletrack alongside the paved climb so you can avoid roads altogether, but I don't know how realistic that is, and I'm surely not complaining about what they've done to date.
    But that would require people who actually like to ride XC and not downhill/freeride only, which Portland area is seriously lacking.

I have been amazed at how no one in this area really likes to go uphill. technical uphills are a blast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trimess View Post
    But that would require people who actually like to ride XC and not downhill/freeride only, which Portland area is seriously lacking.

I have been amazed at how no one in this area really likes to go uphill. technical uphills are a blast!
    99% of the folks that I ride with do not find themselves in this catagory.Most of us actually live in Portland too.I would prefer more trail overall verses an up hill only trail.That road "climb" is pretty nice and relaxing.I think of it as a nice time to drink and rest the hands.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by pieschelc View Post
    Trail looks awesome, I see they have a new trail guide map as well. The last trails were awesome but its a bit of a drive. Any videos would be sweet to see
    Link to new map:
    Sandy Ridge Trail Map - August 2011
    dig...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I rode it yesterday. It is an unbelievable trails for the gravity group with nasty rock and good flow; however, I bet the name will morph into something like: Hospital Ridge because guys are going to munch on it

I would like to see an uphill only trail built for guys like me who like to stay on dirt for the whole ride. I find the road climb boring.

what the quan?!
    Hit up QPF yesterday for the first time as well. That trail is sweeeeeeet.
    I gotta agree with Jaybo, the road is boring... but at least its quick!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yet another vote of approval, and thanks for the work, on QPF. Those rock gardens are beautifully built. Nice addition of the rock drops in the gardens, and on the trail. I rode it all clean, only to get bogged up on the collapsed trail from animal burrows to root ledge combo towards the intersection with 338. Dang varmints...

The new Rock Drop access trail is smooooth. I rode the original rock drop access from 338 loop and it seemed a lot less technical and rocky. Maybe a few loads of gravel have been dumped in there?

Hide and seek trail was also in really great shape.

It all keeps getting sweeter.

mtbr member

Sounds Cool

Me to try it this year

mtbr member
    how much fun would the new trail be on a 8in dh bike?
    Voice your support for Timberline Bike Park
    http://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountainbike/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast