mtbr member
    Apr 2014

New Riders in Ashland Area!

Hey! My wife and I just moved out here from the South and are looking to get intor riding around Ashland/Medford/Jacksonville and wanted to see if there are other people we could meet up with and ride with.

My wife is a beginner, so we will be starting slow and I have been riding for a while. We both just picked up the Raleigh Tokul and can't wait to try them out!

We do have 2 boys (6 & 8) and they are not ready for the trails yet and our time has to be planned around a baby sitter.

My wife may be able to ride weekday mornings while the kids are in school and would prefer to ride with another lady that could help her from a womans point of view.

I may be looking for a short night ride or a weekend morning ride if anyone has anything going on.

We are very excited though, and look forward to riding and making some friends!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Ashland area mountain biking

Quote Originally Posted by Homey55 View Post
    Hey! My wife and I just moved out here from the South and are looking to get intor riding around Ashland/Medford/Jacksonville and wanted to see if there are other people we could meet up with and ride with.

My wife is a beginner, so we will be starting slow and I have been riding for a while. We both just picked up the Raleigh Tokul and can't wait to try them out!

We do have 2 boys (6 & 8) and they are not ready for the trails yet and our time has to be planned around a baby sitter.

My wife may be able to ride weekday mornings while the kids are in school and would prefer to ride with another lady that could help her from a womans point of view.

I may be looking for a short night ride or a weekend morning ride if anyone has anything going on.

We are very excited though, and look forward to riding and making some friends!
    Hi,You folks are in the southern Oregon meca of mountain biking !

ASHLAND: In spring - summer mount Ashland is the #1 place to go DH = Down Hill in So Oregon. Bill and Sue Roussel are the owners of Ashland Mountain Adventures which is a 15 passenger van shuttle service from Ashland all the way up to the top of Mnt Ashland to the ski lodge parking lot.

Don't worry You don't have to be a skilled rider with an expensive bike as there is a nice beginners ways to casually & slowly ride down Mount Ashland for the whole family via the Tolman Creek road also called forest rd 2080 which starts about about 1 mile down from the ski lodge parking. ( Google Map it ) .

Tolman Creek rd / 2080 goes all the way down mount Ashland all the way to the BiMart store about 18 miles with beautiful scenery , it's a big wide smooth dirt road that even a low Honda civic can ride on it.

Tolman Creek rd 2080 also ends up right near Ashland Mountain Adventure / AMA parking lot, take the $15 each person shuttle van up with all the local very nice mountain bikers , who make up a large demographic from teens to seniors, but mostly they are 25'ish to 40ish.

Note: Tolman Creek 2080 has a few vehicles once in awhile on it so it is VERY important to treat it as a road and stay to the right, wear helmets, gloves, knee and elbow pads , look and listen for up hill on coming traffic, but most of the time I never see anyone not even one single car, justr be 'aware', also Toman Creek 2080 near the last few miles turns from smooth dirt into asphalt, that is were for the most past on this lower section you will encounter cars.

INTERMEDIATE to ADVANCED : The well equipped intermediate like me , and the more advance riders often take off right from the ski chalet parking lot up at the top were Bill & Sue drop everyone off.

We all charge down real fast down as it is smooth for the 1st half mile before the 1st shape turn so it is very seductive to go 30+ mph on what is called Upper Bull Gap road which is the ski resort access dirt road for their own power station.

WARNING Once You make the 1st sharp turn a right turn then Upper Bull Gap can net bumpy nasty if Your not prepared !

If Your better than just a totally new beginner then You can go down upper Bull Gap with no problem so long as You go slow in the middle section as it can get real bumpy and rocky in places > helmet - gloves- knee and elbow pads are almost mandatory beyond the 1st half mile if You go over the bars on Bull Gap You will find a rock !

Upper Bull Gap goes down to a 4 way turn out to another smaller more advanced trail called Lower Bull Gap it is a single track trail that is a mix of hard climb at 1st then beautiful trail then some every rocky spots and technical spots so NO beginners on this trail

The 'expert' riders have another option, they go 'past' ski chalet parking lot, they ride east on the ridge road past the radar dome on the very top of Mnt Ashland and continue peddling cross country on up to the beginning of a very steep rocky narrow trail called Time Warp

Back to beginner intermediate trails > its IMPOSSIBLE to get lost on Mnt Ashland on a bike, or on foot for that matter because ALL trails lead down to the town , it does not matter if You come to an intersection and have to guess which way to go just remember the bigger the trail / road the easier it is to get to town.

The smaller narrow single track - trails still also all end up down into Ashland, there are NO dead end trails, so long as they do 'down' hill You will eventually end up in town 'winks'

Bill the owner of Ashland Mountain Adventures is in his late 40's , He is an expert racer they call Him Wild Bill. Sue His wife is a very active mountain biker, tho not a racer like Bill , She is no slouch , Sue can peddle 20 miles of hard climbing & fast narrow single track decent terrain, She is SUPER nice and has a ton of experience with helping nervous nu bee's , they also have a facebook page, they rent high end mountain bikes and even can provide mountain bikes guided rides for those who want to learn the trails ( for a fee of course ).

Mnt Ashland also hase a cross country forest road called the ' loop road' it is smack dab in the middle of the mountain and runs horizontally across the mountain for about 18 miles of beautiful no cars allowed almost flat cross country bike ride with about 3 small snow melt stream crossing ( they go 'under' the road ) then the loop road turns into a somewhat steep decent / climb.

If You start at an intersection we call ' Four Corners ' at about the 5000ft level then You dont have to do any climbing , but if You want to and You have the aerobic peddle power and legs then from Four Corners You can go 18 miles east then 5 miles winding down right into Lithia Park , ( remember were You parked as Your car as it may be 20 miles back on the west side of the mountain so someone will have to shuttle You if You want to go cross country on the Loop Rd.

Cell phones work pretty good almost every were on the bike trails of mount Ashland.

Brink a tire tube, tire irons, small pump, patches etc.... as sooner or later You will get a flat, lol.

TALENT aka WAGNER BUTTE : NOT for beginners, all the trails are unmarked, th o they are maintained and in good condition, there are no 'official' maps of the trails that have names like Chucks Chips , Old Mans, Stump Jumper etc... all of these are narrow 'single track', so in the Wagner Butte area it is best to stick to the nice smooth logging forest roads the kind of roads You can drive a car on.

JACKSONVILLE. Go to the Britt Festive amphitheater, there are numerous mild smooth well marked trails that beginners and kids can ride and they are all right on the edge of down town Jackson Ville, forget Johns Peak across the hwy that is more advanced rocky steep stuff .

APPLEGATE LAKE : There is a very nice trails going all around the east side of Applegate lake , it is best explored on foot 1st if You are a beginner , it's not dangerous but there are a lot of narrow spots were the trees are real close to the trail and if You are not use to riding on a narrow path next to drop off above a lake it can be very intimidating for a newbee but it sure is fun to just hike the lake loop trail with Your kids and a dog just to see it and evaluate it for future bike rides.

Start at French Gultch parking lot which You have to drive across the dam going east 1 mile last the dam to get to it, it is a well marked nice parking lot and trail with constant views of the lake below. Note: No cell phone service out in the Applgate area so bring everything You would as if You were to hike a full day , at least keep 1st aid, food drinks etc... in a small pack. NO snakes but in summer poison oak is along much of the lake trail so be aware of it.

The views of the Applegate river and the Red Butte mountains south in California and above Applegate lake look like a scene from an alpine movie ( bring the video - camera )

That should keep You busy all spring - summer.

PEACE

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Steve, Thanks for the very detailed response! I'll look up Ashland Mountain Adventures and try to set something up with them to check out the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So I took your advise and did the shuttle through AMA. The trails were awesome and the staff at AMA were awesome too! Everything went smooth and only had 1 small crash when my front tire wandered off the trail into some sand. Overall great trails and a lot of fun even on a hardtail! I will definitely be doing this many more times and I think I'll get my wife to go with Sue on her first run.

mtbr member
    There is a great trail off Hwy 140 between Lake of the Woods and Fish called High Lakes Trail. Great for kids and beginners. Off that is the Brown Mountain Trail, a 20ish mile loop... Great trail.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just saw this. We do a group ride out of cycle analysis in Jacksonville every Wednesday night at 6pm, any skill level is welcome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Is this ride open to anyone or do you need to belong to a club? I saw this a while back and thought about joining the ride but did not know if I could.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's open to everyone. We are always happy to have more riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Awesome! I'll try to make it out next week then.