Thread: New to Portland

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New to Portland

I moved to Portland about 2 months ago now and have finally gotten to a point were I want to find some mountain biking. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am looking for single track, rock gardens, and anything else that is just good fun.

Thanks for the help and if you know of some group rides please send me a Private Message.

Ben

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    To get you started:

30 min - 1 hour from PDX:
    - Sandy Ridge Trails (off highway 26 near Mt. Hood)
    - Scappoose (off Highway 30) - some of these trails are closed for logging

1 hour - 1.5 hours from PDX
    - Browns Camp, Story Burn, Wilson River Trail (on the way to Tillamook)
    - Syncline and Post Canyon in Hood River
    - Lots of Trails off of Forest Road 44 south of Hood River (will be a little while before some of these are accessible)

2-3 hours from PDX - too many to list (search for threads on Oakridge, Mackenzie River Trail, Black Rock, Bend, etc)

(Also look at OldHouseMan's post on the sticky "Help with Oregon FAQ" thread. LOTS of great information there).
    Last edited by thorkild; 03-23-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Thor summed it up pretty well...

I find I spend most of my riding time in Hood River, split between Syncline (best rock gardens), Post Canyon (man made stuff) and then places like Surveyors Ridge and Dog River (out highway 35 from Hood River) for some flowy single track.

I haven't hit Sandy yet, it just opened recently and is getting rave reviews. I'd hit it this weekend but I'm dusting off my DH sled and road tripping to Vancouver BC for some North Shore action. (If you are new to the west coast the North Shore and Whistler you HAVE to check out)

Welcome to Portland.

Metalheadbikerider

Check out...

Quote Originally Posted by mrben0101
    I moved to Portland about 2 months ago now and have finally gotten to a point were I want to find some mountain biking. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am looking for single track, rock gardens, and anything else that is just good fun.

Thanks for the help and if you know of some group rides please send me a Private Message.

Ben
    our local mountain bike organization, Northwest Trail Alliance: http://nw-trail.org
    You can check the forums for others going on rides, and post rides you would like to do.
    Welcome to Portland. Make sure to come and check out the Kick Off Party for the Portland Trail Fest. It will be a great place to meet other riders and get the lowdown on trails.
    Brian
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    If you are looking for "Rock Gardens" close to Portland, check out Larch Mt on the Oregon side. Sections of this have by far the best technical riding close to town, but there is not much as far as mileage goes.

Also the gate may be closed. Not sure when it opens.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.