mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New to PDX area - looking to explore some trails Sat or Sunday

Hey Folks
    My name is Eric, and I'm new-ish to the PDX area. Originally from the Boston area, and spent a good deal of time riding trails in Asheville, NC as well. My Mojo has been sitting idle for far too long and I'd love to get out this weekend. Someone in a bike shop recommended Sandy Ridge, but I'm open to trying anything. Anyone feel like meeting up one of the days for a good 3-5hr ride? Thanks for any tips or suggestions on where to ride - let me know if you want to meet up! Best,
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sandy ridge is very navigable for new people. If you don't find anyone to meet up with you I'd suggest going to Sandy Ridge and just ride. Its hard not to run into some nice people that don't mind you joining them.

Metalheadbikerider
    Hey Eric,
    Welcome! Couple ways to meet others:
    1. Go the movie screening at The Lumberyard tonight. Great place to meet other riders.
    2. There is a facebook group for Sandy Ridge. Plenty of potential guides.
    3. Come to the final Northwest Trail Alliance meeting at The Lumberyard on the last Tuesday of the month. 6pm-8pm. Another great way to meet others.
    4. Just head to the Sandy Ridge lot and meet some people. The place is always packed!
    Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Cheers!
    Brian
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I like driving over toward Rocky Point Road up Hwy-30 just south of Scapoose during the week, it has a little of everything except big rocks, it's more like an MTb park. It's a fun place, but not as technical as SR. Its got jumps!

Then, if you don't want to leave the city--don't have much time, but want a ride anyways--there's River View. This place has some fast and tricky chutes, roots, switchbacks, small jumps and other obstacles, but unfortunately, the longest run possible is about a 4 to 8 minute descent. I have a blast there. Don't let the map(in the link) of the switchback near the highway at the bottom fool you, there are no berms to them, so they are slow.

If you have a full day, get to Sandy Ridge by 9am~10am. Starts getting dark around 4:40pm this time of year. Interestingly, there seems to always be a few lone bikers there who will generally pair up with other riders who showed up alone.

SR maps:
    http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...ugust2012a.pdf

Sandy Ridge Mountain Bike Trails <--- This map is way cool, go here to see elevation from a Google Earth like perspective.
    Observe, report.