mtbr member

New to Mt Biking ?

Im trying to figure out what type of bike to buy , I live in Dallas so I will be riding locally , so far I have looked at a Trek Marlin , it seems like a decent bake for the money , will it be able to handle the abuse of off road ? or will i need to look at more bikes , I like the Kona line as well , so I am not hooked on one brand , my budget keeps me off a full suspension bike unless i buy used , where should i start , I want to stay under $800.00 , should i be looking for an AM type of bike ?

B42
    mtbr member
    800 will get u a frat used bike. The down side is you have to know what you want/need and can fit it properly yourself. You also will want to do you own maintenance. Else, head to the LBS.

You could also spend 400 used on an ok bike and plan to upgrade in a year or two.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

DFMBA.org
    Probably an XC type bike. I'm biased here, but also give the Felt Nine Trail a looksee as well. Most bikes in that price range will all have similar quality components. Good starter MTBs with frames worth future upgrades. Factor in your budget the accessories you'll need to get going as well (eg trail tools, hydration bottles/pack, helmet, spare tubes, gloves, etc)

Test ride some bikes and pick one you're comfortable on

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    Im trying to figure out what type of bike to buy , I live in Dallas so I will be riding locally , so far I have looked at a Trek Marlin , it seems like a decent bake for the money , will it be able to handle the abuse of off road ? or will i need to look at more bikes , I like the Kona line as well , so I am not hooked on one brand , my budget keeps me off a full suspension bike unless i buy used , where should i start , I want to stay under $800.00 , should i be looking for an AM type of bike ?
    Go to santiam bikes in salem, they have a few hard tails in your price range, even if you decide to go with a used bike it will be a good starting point that will let you know what kind of used bike you should look for. there are some full suspension bikes on craigs list now that are in your price range depending on what size you need. the suggestion that you need to know what you want before you start looking at used was a good one, the good deals on craigs list go fast so you need to be ready to jump on them. my opinion on bikes is that it needs to fit you, feel good riding it, knowing what you can fine tune later to make it perfect for you.

Have you rode the Dallas trails before? We ride up there twice a week usually and always happy to ride with new people. If you're interested we post all of our rides here:

Salem Oregon Mountain Bike Association(SOMBA) (Salem, OR) - Meetup

mtbr member
    thanks for the info , I haven't rid the trails yet , all I have now is an old Trek 820 , right now I am gathering as much knowledge as I can about different bikes , there is a lot to learn , I looked at the Trek Marlin and now I am looking at Kona Mahuna

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post

Have you rode the Dallas trails before?
    where are the Dallas Trails ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    where are the Dallas Trails ?
    Up rob mill road, are some and some are out off from 1920, they are not too easy to find but i'm willing to show you when you are ready.

Afric Pepperbird
    Be sure to check out the Beginner's Corner for great advice.