mtbr member

New Housing Development Near Phil's Trail

There is a new development with 50 2 acre homesites that will be released this fall right off Skyliners down the street from Phil's. There is a trail which connects to Shevlin Park however, I'm not sure if it's a gated community that the public will have access to or not.

Haven't been on the trails much lately however, I do know Phil's can get crowded. With the size of our town growing at such a rapid rate it makes me wonder.

How do those of you who live in Bend or come here to visit feel about the growth of this town and it's effects on our trail networks?

The Tree Farm ? Luxury homesites surrounded by wilderness in Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    I am in Bend now and make a point to visit two weeks every summer. I hate to say it but I don't like the direction things seem to be going. So much new development, all which seems to be priced at a level for a wealthy persons vacation home (which they will VRBO for 50 weeks out of the year).

Shoot me for saying this but I see Bend slowly moving into the direction of places like Sun Valley or Vail. Bend is virtually a perfect place and sadly the word has gotten out.

It's only a matter of time before the increasing population + rocking eBikes (eBikes remind me of the movie Wall-e) is going to noticeably start contesting the trails. Hopefully Flagline isn't going to look like DeschUtes River Trail anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Push that moped off the trail EVERYTIME you have the opportunity. They make video games for those folks. Gee, maybe buy a motorcycle. Sorry about the explosion in Bend, but it's far worse in Portland.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Interesting that the thread already became a "bash one group festival." For a different perspective, please read this opinion piece...

The Angry Singlespeeder: Strava versus eBikes - Mtbr.com

...now, carry on with your thoughts about the growth of Bend.

Sincerely,

A Lifelong Resident and 26 year mountain biker.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Hmmm, VRBO for 50 weeks per year. Now you've got me thinking about passive income. Thanks!

It seems as if the developers on this side of town understand that trail access is a major draw to the area. Tetherow and The Highlands haven't cut off forest access through their development so maybe The Tree Farm won't either.

mtbr member
    COTA chairman as of a week ago works for Brooks resources. I asked him about the Tree Farm the other day at the election. Granted his take is it's great.

50 homes on 2 acres I doubt will effect trails.

mtbr member
    I hope The Tree Farm won't cut off access. I also hope they don't gate it like the Highlands. They need to be keeping it real...ha ha!

How is Phil's these days? I haven't been out this season. I was going to a few weeks ago but my rear break starting leaking fluid and I can't find the fitting. No one carries it in town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I am in Bend now and make a point to visit two weeks every summer. I hate to say it but I don't like the direction things seem to be going. So much new development, all which seems to be priced at a level for a wealthy persons vacation home (which they will VRBO for 50 weeks out of the year).

Shoot me for saying this but I see Bend slowly moving into the direction of places like Sun Valley or Vail. Bend is virtually a perfect place and sadly the word has gotten out.

It's only a matter of time before the increasing population + rocking eBikes (eBikes remind me of the movie Wall-e) is going to noticeably start contesting the trails. Hopefully Flagline isn't going to look like DeschUtes River Trail anytime soon.
    I appreciate your honesty. That's why I started this thread. There is so much talk going on. I find it interesting. I've lived here 10 years and it's really changes a lot. I completely understand why you feel the way you do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    I hope The Tree Farm won't cut off access. I also hope they don't gate it like the Highlands. They need to be keeping it real...ha ha!

How is Phil's these days? I haven't been out this season. I was going to a few weeks ago but my rear break starting leaking fluid and I can't find the fitting. No one carries it in town.
    from what I hear it will have a public open space and won't cut off access. But hen you say access, what access are you referring to? It was private property before no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    COTA chairman as of a week ago works for Brooks resources. I asked him about the Tree Farm the other day at the election. Granted his take is it's great.

50 homes on 2 acres I doubt will effect trails.

50 homes, 2 acres each, = 100 acres of development.

You can drive by, and see them going nuts out there. A lot of guys working hard in the sun.

COTA member
    I also hope they don't gate it like the Highlands.
    It is true the paved road of the Highlands is gated. Guard is only on station 8 - 5 M-F. That said there is a dirt path right through the middle of the Highlands that is open to the public.

Nat
    mtbr member
    In today's Bulletin:
    Tree Farm development designed for wildlife, open spaces;

"To that end, Miller agreed to go into partnership on the 533-acre property with Brooks Resources and Skyliners TWS, LLC, with the caveat that more than 400 acres would be set aside in this neighborhood for permanent open space, with public access for the community."

"By clustering the lots in one area, Brooks Resources was able to preserve that large swath of open space. This neighborhood will be free of security gates but will have a homeowners association fee to maintain the 3 miles of roads in the area, as well as the pathways, trails and other common areas."
    Last edited by Nat; 07-05-2016 at 07:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A little off topic: Did a Funner shuttle ride into Phils area yesterday, What is the new road being built east of the Forest Service welcome center?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    A little off topic: Did a Funner shuttle ride into Phils area yesterday, What is the new road being built east of the Forest Service welcome center?
    I haven't been to the welcome center in a few weeks but when I did there were logging roads for the forest thinning project (not open to the public). Did it look like one of those?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Isn't that going to be some sort of paved bike path?

I have no first hand information, but somebody told me that eventually there will be a paved path from town, up to the visitor's center, then all the way to Sunriver, linking with the new path over there that runs from SR to Benham Falls to the Lava Visitor Center.

Anybody?
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    COD near the welcome center has been cut by the bulldozed grade.

Paved path construction and improved TH mentioned at the bottom of this article: Cascade Lakes Welcome Station ends its first summer; Nearby trails work continues

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The project maps don't show additional trails to Sunrise.

You can get to the project maps using the link in this page here: USFS proposes new trails, comments requested

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Isn't that going to be some sort of paved bike path?

I have no first hand information, but somebody told me that eventually there will be a paved path from town, up to the visitor's center, then all the way to Sunriver, linking with the new path over there that runs from SR to Benham Falls to the Lava Visitor Center.

Anybody?
    That would actually be kind of nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    COD will be relocated and become more consistently rocky/chunky/hard. Old parts of COD that were not really tech will become part of a new loop trail called Ticket to Ride. COTA has started construction of that and hope to have that and the COD relocation completed in the fall.

[QUOTE=bradshawbs;12858658]COD near the welcome center has been cut by the bulldozed grade.

Paved path construction and improved TH mentioned at the bottom of this article: [url=http://www.lagrandeobserver.com/newsroomstafflist/4655052