mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New Cloverpatch/Alpine trail connector trail?

Hi, just got an email from MBO saying that there is a new connector trail that joins alpine to cloverpatch. Can anybody give some info on it please? I know that you can get to clover patch from the alpine trail by way of tire mountain so were is the new trail? The email said it make a cool loop and im excited to learn more about it!

thanks for your help

Chris

Obviously Single
    Yes, there's a new trail from the bottom of Cloverpatch. Well, there's 2+ miles of climbing on a gravel road, then some brand new trail, then a little bit of road at the top, and you end up at the Buckhead Shelter, where you get to descend the bottom part of Alpine!

The new connection has about 1200 feet of climbing ...
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Can anybody give some info on it please?
    Cloverpatch dumps you out on a forest road. Go right and descend down the road approximately 1 mile and be on the look out for another forest road on the left hand side (first main forest road on your left). Turn left, go around the gate, and keep climbing for ~2 miles. Towards the top of the forest road before the singletrack, there's a Y intersection, stay right and go another 200 yards uphill. The singletrack starts on your left after the road levels out again.

Climb like a billy goat on singletrack (Cloverpatch Tie) for another ~2 miles and you'll dump out on another forest road. Go left and continue on this more defined road for maybe one mile (don't turn on any of the minor forest roads). Look for Alpine Trail crossing the road (left to right) with a 'Trail' sign nailed to a tree on right hand side. Start the bomber descent...

mtbr member
    Thanks Cererbus

mtbr member
    How does this compare to just riding back up Tire to connect back to Alpine? It doesn't seem like much less effort.

mtbr member
    From looking at the Oakridge trail map, the new route seems to be about half the distance of backtracking at the end of Cloverpatch

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I rode it on Sunday. The road climb is a bit of a grunt, but over in ~2 miles. The new trail is kind of cool. 23 switchbacks, pretty mellow grade. Then you ride for about a mile on a gravel road to connect with buckhead shelter. Overall, it is really cool you can connect up with Alpine so high up and get both tire and cloverpatch.

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Hat View Post
    How does this compare to just riding back up Tire to connect back to Alpine? It doesn't seem like much less effort.
    It's WAY less effort and miles than riding to the "end" of Cloverpatch then returning via Cloverpatch-Tire...way less. Plus, climbing Tire is hairball. It doesn't get much traffic (compared to Alpine) but still the traffic it gets is usually moving pretty damn fast. This new connector was laid out and built quite well. By Mountain Bikers...for Mountain Bikers. The climb on road 130 (the green gate road) is unpleasant but it's only 1.9 miles and lets you find a gear and a cadence to get it over with. Even a fat/grumpy/shuttle whore like me doesn't mind it too much.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

New Cloverpatch/Alpine trail connector trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Hat View Post
    It creates loops.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am relieved that the last two posts mention "that" road. It's a lonely stretch for sure. The new trail is a great addition to the Oakridge/Westfir area. Big thanks to all the folks who busted their tails on this. Are there 21 or 22 switchbacks?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    We are going to look for it this Saturday. Some more information about it here:
    NEW: Cloverpatch/Alpine Connector | Disciples of Dirt

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, great info. For a rider of average fitness and skill, how long would would it take to ride the Tire Mtn & Cloverleaf & new Cloverleaf tracks if I add these to a descent of Alpine?

mtbr member
    That's the best answer so far. I do like some loops. Also, when I say back up Tire I mean it as a way to skip Cloverpatch altogether. I'd rather do a Tire/Windberry loop than ride Cloverpatch, but with less gravel road it seems like a more appealing option. I'll be there this week to see!

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Thanks guys, great info. For a rider of average fitness and skill, how long would would it take to ride the Tire Mtn & Cloverleaf & new Cloverleaf tracks if I add these to a descent of Alpine?
    That's a loaded question and I don't know if I can give a straight answer. I'm slow-average climbing, but a competent descender...and there's plenty of descending on the route. If you shuttle to Kate's cut-in and start that way there's folks that can do it in the 3 hour area, but us humans are going to be in the 4 to 5 range...and then I've heard stories of
    it taking some 6+. It added about 45 minutes (give or take however long it took to hack up half a lung) for me over what the "old" way (down to North Shore road and back to the Red Covered Bridge) took. Whatever the time it's a VASTLY superior way to ride the loop.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bike Ride Profile | CCP 2013 near Westfir | Times and Records | Strava

If you study this route you should be able to figure out route, distance, elevation, etc of the new trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    average fitness, good descending skills, limited stops. 4-4.5 hours.

mtbr member
    We rode this trail yesterday after ATC (I guess now it'd be better described as ATCA?) from Kate's Cut-in as a group of 3, plus another group of 4 that we picked up who didn't go the wrong way like we did (hint, go RIGHT at the road at the end of Cloverpatch, not left like we did).

Fun riding such a new trail. There is already a tree down across it, and there is at least one section where it looks like the builders are rethinking their route. I was particularly amused by the signs keeping count (sort of) of the switchbacks.

The best part was when it was over and we got to ride down more of Alpine. We were right around 4 hours of ride time, with about an hour of stops.

Oakridge ATC with new Cloverpatch-Alpine tie

Dirtmistress
    I'll be in the area again (finally) in mid September. Will there be a map available somewhere? Do you even need a map? It sounds like a must do route therefore I must do it!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member
    There's a map posted at the DoD forum that I linked to above. You could print it and take it with you. I forgot my copy of the Adventure Map for the area but we muddled through it, although we did start off going the wrong way after Cloverpatch. The trail won't be on the current Adventure Map since it's so new, anyway.

The key is to pay attention to the instructions posted by cerebus above. Turn to the right after you exit Cloverpatch onto the road. Descend and look for a road on your left with a green forest gate. Climb that road, ignoring the various turn offs, and it will sweep you upwards and around to the right. The trail entrance will be on your left.

Dirtmistress
    Thanks TB.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi, never got a chance to thank all of you who provided info about the connector for us-thank you!

Heading down to Oakridge in a week to ride....cant wait!

ride on,
    cb

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just rode it including chrome toilet out & back. Big day for sure but wow!! Coming down tire mountain/clover is just pure awesome. IT's a big ride & you don't want to miss your connectors/ get off route. My advice would be to stop in the mercantile & have them pencil in the route for you. Bunchgrass on the other hand is just a suffer fest.