Afric Pepperbird

Need rec's for my...ROAD TIRES!

Shiggy! (or anyone),

I know this isn't the most conducive forum for an answer, but the roadbikereview forum gets about 1 post a week! It's quite sad.

Anywho, I am looking for a good set of road tires. And by good, I don't necessarily mean lightweight. I just want something that lasts more than 600 miles.

I don't race, but I do like a 60 mile ride on my days off (when I'm not on my Mountain pig). I also don't care so much for good sidewall protection, as I rarely get flats (although that protection is a plus). I just want a good, all weather set that will last at least 1000 miles.

Any rec's, anyone?

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    Shiggy! (or anyone),

I know this isn't the most conducive forum for an answer, but the roadbikereview forum gets about 1 post a week! It's quite sad.

Anywho, I am looking for a good set of road tires. And by good, I don't necessarily mean lightweight. I just want something that lasts more than 600 miles.

I don't race, but I do like a 60 mile ride on my days off (when I'm not on my Mountain pig). I also don't care so much for good sidewall protection, as I rarely get flats (although that protection is a plus). I just want a good, all weather set that will last at least 1000 miles.

Any rec's, anyone?

Thanks
    Vittoria, Panaracer and WTB (Freedom) now have models with extra thick tread for longer wear.

Or just see what the LBS or e-tailers have in the bargain bin.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Afric Pepperbird
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

I keep hearing about Conti GP 4000's, or even Gatorskins, but they seem overkill for a non-racer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

I keep hearing about Conti GP 4000's, or even Gatorskins, but they seem overkill for a non-racer.
    The Contis are good but you can spend a LOT less and be just as happy.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I ride a CX/touring bike built up with Mavic TN719 wheels, and have run two different tires since the bike was built up in February. Tires being: Panaracer Pasela 700X28, and Vittoria Randonneur 700X28C. Both tires have worn like iron. I replace the rear tire (Panaracer) with the Vittoria only because I tore the side wall on some rocks on a rockie back road while touring. The set of Panaracer Pasala's have >1000 miles on them and still look like they could go another 500+ (less the damaged sidewall on the rear tire).

A little story on the Vittoria Randonneur....a long story short, a friend and I split a set of Randonneur tires and both used them for a rear tire. Well, I road mine about 500 miles in the past 6 months, my friend toured Europe with his. We estimate that he put on about 2000 miles in the 9 weeks they toured and the Randonneur is still running strong. the Randonneur is not a light tire by any means, but it will with stand just about anything you through underneath it. I will be using either a CX tire or the Randonneur tire for riding the roads of central oregon over the next 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    BFE

mtbr member
    I use the Conti GP 4000s on my Co-Motion and get good life out of them. I also switch between the cheapest Specialized Armadillo tire and Conti Gatorskin on my commuter and have had really good luck with them. Just picked up a pair of Kenda Kaliente Iron Cloak tires to mount on my commuter, haven't mounted them yet. Mainly got them because of price, on the cheaper side, hopefully they hold up.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I have a Serfas something-or-other that was $25 and also a Michelin something-or-other that was $60. I honestly can't feel a difference. I've never really been able to feel a difference between road bike tires. They're round, they're rubber, they're smooth...is there more to it than that?

I therefore like the bargain bin approach.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I have a Serfas something-or-other that was $25 and also a Michelin something-or-other that was $60. I honestly can't feel a difference. I've never really been able to feel a difference between road bike tires. They're round, they're rubber, they're smooth...is there more to it than that?

I therefore like the bargain bin approach.
    I just wanted something that will not burn down to the threads after 500 miles of regular riding. But other than that, I care less of which brands, I really do.

Formerly of Kent
    Vittoria Pave 24mm, in tubular or clincher form.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Vittoria Pave 24mm, in tubular or clincher form.
    I've heard nice things about those, yes indeed. Thanks

mtbr member
    Not sure which Serfas tire I had, was a cheaper model though, but I couldn't keep from flatting. Seemed like everything and anything would puncture them. It even was listed as a good puncture resistant tire.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Michelin Pro 3 Race tires. I have gone through several sets of these tires now and probably will never use anything else. They are light, corner amazingly well, and they NEVER flat. I have tried other brands (Vittoria, Continental, Specialized) and thought they were all "just fine" with not a lot of difference between them. But when I put the Michelins on my bike I immediately noticed the difference especially in fast downhill cornering -- they really stick.

I usually get a couple of thousand miles out of them but I'm not exactly sure as I only buy one at a time. Since the rear tire wears faster than the front, I switch the (older) front tire to the rear and put the brand new one on the front. That way I get a few hundred more miles out of the older tire, and always have full confidence in my front tire. If you blow a rear tire, worst case scenario is that you hitchhike home; you blow out the front and you may be heading back to town in an ambulance...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

troubled economist
    Panaracer Tserv's. Just put them on my commuter, albeit in a beefy 32c size. They make them smaller in a 25 and 28c size. Pretty thick center. I chose them as an all-year commuter, decent tread.

http://www.panaracer.com/urban.php

For something long lasting but smoother and smaller, I've heard good things about the Maxxis Refuse, billed as a training tire, available in 23 and 25c sizes.

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Traini...s/Re-fuse.aspx

Afric Pepperbird
    I ended up buying a pair of Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase

They are extremely puncture resistant, and I've read of them lasting 2000+ miles. Thanks to Eric at Sunnyside Sports for the recommendation!

You guys gave me some great ideas, but as a non-racer, I felt $40 a tire was about as high as I wanted to go.

mtbr member
    Think I paid around $17.25 ea. for my Randonnuer, and about $20 ea. for the Pasala. I'm no racer.

It's good that you "make local habit". Enjoy your new tires. Hope they last forever.

industry employee
    Hutchinson Intensive.....great for training, touring, centuries.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    A little story on the Vittoria Randonneur....a long story short, a friend and I split a set of Randonneur tires and both used them for a rear tire. Well, I road mine about 500 miles in the past 6 months, my friend toured Europe with his. We estimate that he put on about 2000 miles in the 9 weeks they toured and the Randonneur is still running strong. the Randonneur is not a light tire by any means, but it will with stand just about anything you through underneath it. I will be using either a CX tire or the Randonneur tire for riding the roads of central oregon over the next 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    BFE
    +1 on the Vittorias. Have the 32c variety. I have flatted maybe 5 times in 2.5 yrs. Once was a screw I almost needed pliers to get it out. The only minus, they are somewhat heavy, but hell my bike is a steel commuter with fenders, a rack, panniers, lights, so 200 grams added per tire really does not matter to me....well, I suppose 2 tires would be about a pound. Well, you get the idea. It's a muter. The little nubblyies are still on the sides of the tire, the reflective strip does go grey with brake dust. Discs would solve that problem.
    Cheers!
    Tuff Schist