mtbr member

need help planning trip, where to get maps for Oakridge? GPS routes?

My Buddy and I are planning a week long trip up to southern Oregon July 21-27. Unfortunately we won't be able to attend MBO due to scheduling and financial reasons. Our plans are to try to hit NURT, Oakridge, and MRT probably in that order while doing some scenic driving and camping along the way. Never been to Oakridge, so any help is appreciated.

Where is the best place to stop by for info, maps, parts? Is there a bike shop in town? Supermarket? and most importantly BEER? Are trail maps avail online? GPS routes anywhere?

We are mostly XC riders looking for smooth forested single track trails that can be done as a loop (no shuttles) 20-30 miles. Maybe longer if not too much elevation or techy stuff. We plan on staying in Oakridge at least two days & nights camping. I'm sure Alpine will be on our list, but wondering what else we should try to hit. I under stand most of the loops are done with fire road climbing, and that's OK by us especially if there is a nice view at the top. If we were only able to ride 2-3 trails in Oakridge, what should we do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Can get them at Mountain Mercantile in Oakridge. Willamette Mountain Mercantile-Oakridge Bike Shop
    Buy a map when you get here or give them a call.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

Singletrack Addict
    Do hit up the Mercantile for maps, trail conditions, parts and repairs. You will find the grocery store across the street.

Find good beer and company at the Brewers Union.

Most years August can be a crapshoot for the high country trails due to lingering snow and mosquitoes. This year the snow is melting fast. Bugs ought to be pretty well diminished by then. Of course we may have some primo fire conditions, so let's hope for some rain.

If the high country its accessible and not on fire I recommend Waldo Lake.

For a great xc trail that won't require a shuttle or gravel road grind, ride the Middle Fork of the Willamette. You can even camp near the lower trailhead at Sand Prairie Campground.

One of my favorite trails in the area is Moon Point, but it requires a gravel road climb. You can combine it with the Middle Fork to maximize singletrack. Plan for a long day and bring plenty of water.

This is the map you want.

Have a great trip!

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot! So it sounds like end of July may still be kind of wet, but we will just have to be prepared for that and we will bring lots of bug repellant.

I ordered that map, and will put your recommendations on our list. Searching and looking at pictures of Waldo Lake show a lot of burned out trees. Was there a recent fire there? Is this how a lot of the trail looks?