mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Need advice - Hood River mountain biking - July 1ish

Hi, I'm travelling down to Portland for a long weekend from Canada and would like to camp overnight (tenting) and mountain bike in Hood River for a day or two. It's conveniently close to Portland and looks good.

1) Can anyone recommend a campground spot?(with toilets, showers)
    2) Do people recommend Hood River for mountain biking? I don't have enough time to go all the way down to Bend.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Don't have feedback on campgrounds. Hood River is highly regarded. So is Sandy Ridge just to the west of Welches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For Hood River check out Tucker Park. It is about 5 miles south of HR on a nice river. It offers good tent camping that is not by the freeway or the railroad tracks which is the case with many of the Gorge campsites. Shops in HR can set you up with trail info.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind skipping the shower just camp up in the mtns on the 44rd, 8 mile, 15 mile, Nottingham campgrounds.... and ride from your camp.

Or I do like the campgrounds just off I-84 or 14, Home Valley, Viento or Memaloose are all good. But then you are looking at a small drive to get to your biking locals.

mtbr member
    Any ideas which trails? Post Canyon (West of the City), or the Rd44 trails up on Mt. Hood? (Surveyor's Ridge, Knebal Springs, etc.) ? Most of the campgrounds near rd44 have vault toilets, no water. If you camp up there, you can catch a shower on your way out at Tollbridge Park, about 2 miles South of the community of Mt Hood, on hwy 35. Also keep in mind the 4th of July Holiday is that week and campgrounds may be full!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    those 3 are all nice campgrounds and I stay at all of them for water sports but keep in mind that they have the freeway on one side and the trains on the other. Home Valley only has a highway and trains. Another cool spot is Nottingham Forest Service campground on Hwy 35 on the way to Mt Hood from HR. the only noise you will hear there is from the East Fork of the Hood River and it puts you close to lots of the upper trails.

Have Fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Does anyone know of a campground that has showers? It's a deal breaker for my woman...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Memaloose is a state park and has showers, and is on I84 East of HR. It is a very nice park with views of the Columbia. If you go there from Portland you have to exit at Rowena and loop back to the west to get to the park. There is another county park on Hwy 35 called Toll Bridge county park, about 20 mins south from HR. Nice place and pretty sure they have showers but you would need to check on that.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Come on man, Google that shvt. http://www.co.hood-river.or.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={471AE695-C054-4F8C-BEB1-639B721C63E0}

Tucker Park has showers, free with a camp site or $5 without a campsite. You're welcome!
    Last edited by ShiverMeTimbers; 06-17-2014 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbers View Post
    Come on man, Google that shvt. http://www.co.hood-river.or.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={471AE695-C054-4F8C-BEB1-639B721C63E0}

If you're too lazy to read the fine print, Tucker Park has showers, free with a camp site or $5 without a campsite. You're welcome!
    I've been fooled by inaccurate google information on camping before. Wanted to hear it straight from someone.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Fair enough. Sorry I was getting aggro.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsiderider View Post
    For Hood River check out Tucker Park.
    Stayed here a couple weeks ago and would recommend it. There's plenty of showers, and one of the buildings is new this year I heard. Didn't get a chance to check it out personally but some of the ladies in our group checked them out and I didn't hear any complaints.

mtbr member
    Toll Bridge Park is about 15 miles south of I-84 (towards Mt Hood) & puts you close to the Hwy 44 trails (Surveyors, Knebal, 8 & 15 Mile, etc.)

It also leaves you close enough to head into town in the evening if you feel the urge to visit Double Mtn, Pfreim, Big Horse or some other brewing establishment.

Toll Bridge Park near Hood River Oregon

mtbr member
    Just to throw in something different...Laurance Lake.

It's probably not the best option but it's kind of centrally located between Hood River and the 44 trails. It doesn't have showers but you could take a dip in the lake. It's near Parkdale which does have a brewpub and a BBQ joint.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    Stayed here a couple weeks ago and would recommend it. There's plenty of showers, and one of the buildings is new this year I heard. Didn't get a chance to check it out personally but some of the ladies in our group checked them out and I didn't hear any complaints.
    Looks good. I see they don't do reservations.
    I love the U.S, but am spoiled rotten in Canada with the parks Canada reservation system and showers and toilets galore. It's tough to be there bright and early to ensure a spot when you're coming from far away. I hate the risk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
    I see they don't do reservations. I hate the risk.
    I stayed here the weekend of the Hood River enduro and was surprised there weren't more people. I assume most of the racers wanted to be closer to the event, the group I was with had just about the whole area to ourselves. I'd say it was no more than 15-20% full.