mtbr member
    May 2004

NE corner of Oregon riding?

I posted this question a few months back and got no response here but I thought I'd try again.
    I recently bought the LaGrande mountain biking guide and have been thinking of a long weekend trip there from the Seattle area. I know there's got to be some real scenic riding up that way in the Wallowa-Whitman but the book leaves some to be desired with lots of road and 4wd/quad routes.(Not that that can't be fun too.) But, looking for singletrack.
    Has anyone ridden this area and have a recommendation for the following:
    Less than 10 mile evening arrival ride.
    Nice big 25-35 mile Saturday ride.
    12-18 mile Sunday morning before packing up ride.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    I posted this question a few months back and got no response here but I thought I'd try again.
    I recently bought the LaGrande mountain biking guide and have been thinking of a long weekend trip there from the Seattle area. I know there's got to be some real scenic riding up that way in the Wallowa-Whitman but the book leaves some to be desired with lots of road and 4wd/quad routes.(Not that that can't be fun too.) But, looking for singletrack.
    Has anyone ridden this area and have a recommendation for the following:
    Less than 10 mile evening arrival ride.
    Nice big 25-35 mile Saturday ride.
    12-18 mile Sunday morning before packing up ride.

Thanks!
    I haven't ridden the are myself but I know there are trails outside of Eagle Cap Wilderness of the Wallowas that offer good views of the area without being in the wildnerness. I haven't had the opportunity to ride out that way, but it is on my list. Rides that come to mind in the area are:

Mt. Fanny Trail #6220 (34mi from La Grande)

Wagon Road Trail (16mi from Joseph) -

Western Rim, Windy Ridge, Imnaha River Trail (65mi from Enterprise in Hells Canyon Rec area)

Twin Lakes loop, Anthony Lakes, South/North Shore Trail, Indian Rock (15-35mi from Baker City)

Borneo I would check out the Wallowa-Whitman national forest site for more info on these trails, they sound like mostly sk.