mtbr member
    Oct 2005

N Umpqua - Tioga conditions

Thinking it might be nice to head to the Umpqua this weekend. Anyone know how the Tioga section is fairing right now?
    Rocking Along

Tree Hugger
    I figure that if there's still snow in Oakridge, there will be snow on the Umpqua, especially along Bob's Butte, no?
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When I did it on New Year's the trail was in good shape, the snow was light over Bob Butte, although it did get a little heavier up toward Wright Creek and all the trees down were down last fall. Of course since then we had the heavy snow and trees down that closed 138 for about 5 days from Susan Creek up to 97.

mtbr member
    On Monday I tried riding from the TH at Swiftwater and didn't quite make it to Bob Butte. There are two pretty good sized trees that are down and laying side by side across the trail. They're on a side slope and since I was by myself, I didn't feel like trying to huck the bike and myself up and over those wet slippery beasts. I didn't encounter any real snow to speak of on the trail other than just some in the parking lot. I'm not sure what condition the upper end of the trail is in once you get past Bob's. I'm planning to go up again on Saturday and give it another shot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    May want to join you. Thinking about a good ride for Sat. Maybe pavement to the upper trailhead and then back down. Bring a couple Eugene folks with me perhaps? Wat U say Caz!?
    MonoHound

mtbr member
    Taking the pavement up might be a bit risky right now. I'm thinking there is still probably snow piled up on the shoulders of 138 from Susan Creek on up. Maybe someone else can report on the conditions. I like to shuttle that section of trail when I'm riding the full length but that's because I hate having to ride the pavement and mix it up with the traffic.

Making fat cool since '71
    Hey Steve (ormtbr), Steve (Rockhound) is one of them there 'Puffers' so he likes those long slow climbs. He's pretty durned good at them as well! I've tried to get him to see the loveliness and joy of shuttles, but he's been pretty stubborn thus far.

Brock...

PS: don't give up, don't ever give up.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhoundmtb
    May want to join you. Thinking about a good ride for Sat. Maybe pavement to the upper trailhead and then back down. Bring a couple Eugene folks with me perhaps? Wat U say Caz!?
    MonoHound
    Caz says wat.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late