Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    317

    My venting into the Ether- A big F.U. to whoever is dumbing down Endo...

    I guess you don't have enough skills to clear some of the tight spots so you cut down trees to make it easier. Well some of us can clean the tech spots and haul ass in the process. If you don't like the flow of the original lines, go build your own trail. Thanks for eliminating 3 of my favorite spots on the dwindleling number of fun trails in the forest. May you crash and burn.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colddiver98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    107
    Amen! Sweet trail as it was, leave perfection alone!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ORwoodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108
    I agree! If people start cutting down trees in a research forest they're looking for trouble. Not just for them, but all of us. This is OSU land afterall. Its such a great trail though, and when paired up with extendo it has the best flow

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Most of Endo is on Starker property as far as I know but whatever idjit is doing it needs to stop, the only new trails we have gotten out there in the last 10 years are on the Starker section.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ORwoodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108
    I just rode it today and noticed what you were talking about. There's now a slab of dirt to get over an easy root and a trees gone on the next corner! I'm disappointed to see this, as it used to ad a little more tech. I have a question for you guys though. When riding the road to endo, past the clearcut to the right and just after the info board, when it flattens out there is a trail right by a stump (off to the right). I haven't gotten a chance to ride it, but do you know where it goes? I've dabbed in the lower Area 51 before only to lead up to the saddle. Not sure if thats area 51 up there or not.

    (whew that was a mouthful, hope you got all that)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Area 51 is nowhere near Endo, it's closer to Lewisburg Saddle. I'm not sure which trail you mean but near Endo there's Innuendo, the Plunge, Funnelcake, Shave & a Haircut.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ORwoodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108
    Oh I see! I thought Area 51 was the name of the system in there. I'm actually not sure where those trails are (I may have ridden a few, I just don't know the names). Are those trails up the road just after the endo/extendo connection? I know that their is a spider web of trails that winds down off the road. I believe it's Starker land and has a trail marker with no words on it. Sorry for all the questions, we've been trying to explore but still have lots to uncover it seems!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by ORwoodsrider
    Oh I see! I thought Area 51 was the name of the system in there. I'm actually not sure where those trails are (I may have ridden a few, I just don't know the names). Are those trails up the road just after the endo/extendo connection? I know that their is a spider web of trails that winds down off the road. I believe it's Starker land and has a trail marker with no words on it. Sorry for all the questions, we've been trying to explore but still have lots to uncover it seems!
    The "trail marker" used to have a "trail closed" sign on it. OSU kept putting up signs telling users those trails were closed when they aren't even on OSU property so people kept tearing them down.

    I think there's a fairly regular weeknight ride from Cyclotopia on Wednesdays now. The best way to get to know the trails is to ride with people who know them.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by ORwoodsrider
    Oh I see! I thought Area 51 was the name of the system in there. I'm actually not sure where those trails are (I may have ridden a few, I just don't know the names). Are those trails up the road just after the endo/extendo connection? I know that their is a spider web of trails that winds down off the road. I believe it's Starker land and has a trail marker with no words on it. Sorry for all the questions, we've been trying to explore but still have lots to uncover it seems!
    Innuendo starts and ends same place as Endo but takes a different route. Shave and a Haircut starts on the north side of the road about 50 yards uphill from the entrance to Extendo. Funnelcake drops off the spur road that's on the right as you go up towards Endo, Plunge drops off after the road levels out up there, I don't know if that section has been cleared since the clearcut though.


    Area 51 is the trail to the left of Alpha. There's a number of new trails in the Starker area that I don't know of any "official" names for.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ORwoodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108
    Thanks for all the info Brandon! I'll be sure to check those out! I've talked to full cycles because I heard there was a ride held once a week, but the guy said they aren't doing it right now. I'll call up cycletopia though.
    Last edited by ORwoodsrider; 10-06-2009 at 09:30 AM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12
    Are those trails generally DH/FR or are they more on the level of Dan's and Horse trail (XC)?

    Is the Starker property the block in center of the South forest west of the Lewisburg saddle?

  12. #12
    ride the moment
    Reputation: Dogbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim connelly
    Are those trails generally DH/FR or are they more on the level of Dan's and Horse trail (XC)?
    I would rate all of those trails as technical XC. None of them are balls out FR/DH, but they are much tighter than Dan's/Horse and have some steeper sections. They also have varying degrees of roots, logs, etc. that you need to be able to handle your bike over, but no drops or stunts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim connelly
    Is the Starker property the block in center of the South forest west of the Lewisburg saddle?
    Yes. Starker is really cool about letting us ride on their land... as long as we don't eff with the trees.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Yes. Starker is really cool about letting us ride on their land... as long as we don't eff with the trees.
    Technically you are supposed to have a permit to ride on any Starker property, it's free they don't charge for it, all you have to do is go to their office and ask for it.

  14. #14
    ride the moment
    Reputation: Dogbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Technically you are supposed to have a permit to ride on any Starker property, it's free they don't charge for it, all you have to do is go to their office and ask for it.
    Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that and you are the first person I've ever heard mention it.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that and you are the first person I've ever heard mention it.
    Most people ignore it or don't know as far as riding in the Starker property in Mac Forest but if you wanted to regularly ride the Mudslinger course area out by Blodgett it would be a good idea to get one.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colddiver98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Innuendo starts and ends same place as Endo but takes a different route. Shave and a Haircut starts on the north side of the road about 50 yards uphill from the entrance to Extendo. Funnelcake drops off the spur road that's on the right as you go up towards Endo, Plunge drops off after the road levels out up there, I don't know if that section has been cleared since the clearcut though.


    Area 51 is the trail to the left of Alpha. There's a number of new trails in the Starker area that I don't know of any "official" names for.
    The only trail I've located near the top of Endo is a short one that starts by the gravel road off the left and loops on the top of the hill and kicks you out in the clearing by the top of Endo. Where's the Innuendo trail or is this it? It's always fun when they aren't marked and I've been riding them off and off for 20 years (when most were glorified rabbit trails). Thanks for the help!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,562
    A lot of trails have become wider this year but this is the worst! Can't people ride anymore?

    Same problem on Mary's Peak North Ridge. Some of the root sections have new trail cut around them. WTF?

    Quote Originally Posted by henryl
    I guess you don't have enough skills to clear some of the tight spots so you cut down trees to make it easier. Well some of us can clean the tech spots and haul ass in the process. If you don't like the flow of the original lines, go build your own trail. Thanks for eliminating 3 of my favorite spots on the dwindleling number of fun trails in the forest. May you crash and burn.

  18. #18
    Photog Cyclist.
    Reputation: 23mjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    401
    It is funny reading this thread---it seams people can't leave well enuff alone--they either have to dumb a trail down---or you get the freeride dillweeds who put jumps everywhere and screw up the flow of a great trail. If you didn't build it don't modify it. Maintain yes but to take an existing trail and make it like you want it--that is jacka$$ery.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider
    A lot of trails have become wider this year but this is the worst! Can't people ride anymore?

    Same problem on Mary's Peak North Ridge. Some of the root sections have new trail cut around them. WTF?
    Totally agree on Mary's. Now you have to remember where the rooted sections are so you can take the right line. East ridge also got dumbed down, just not as bad. Still one of the best trails in Oregon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •