mtbr member
    Jun 2009

My stolen 09 Stumpjumper has been recovered - it's headed home today.

Thank you to everyone that kept an eye out. My bike was found on craigslist where pictures of it were posted and a friend helped me track down the location of the seller. Then the local authorities were called in. The Olympia PD formulated a plan to get the thief to meet a buyer at a gas station. Only no one was there to buy the bike, just two police officers waiting to bust em.

The key take aways from all of this were pretty easy to see after it all happened.

1- Lock your bike on your rack, no matter where you live or where you think you are. I was in Hood River where I trust everyone....this guy was not from HR and was just looking for an opportunity. My hitch rack made it an easy target. My bad, lesson learned.

2- Serial Numbers and photos are crucial to recovery and identifying it as yours. Know where those things are. I didn't have the serial number on this bike in my files. It was a warrantied bike so I only had my first frame number. Luckily my local bike shop (Mountain View) had my serial number on file and were able to share that with the police. It pays to shop local when you can.

3- Report it to the police ASAP that your bike was stolen. Don't wait around. My bike hit the internet 2 days after it was ganked off my rig. Had I waited he could have argued that I sold it to him or gave it to him to repay a debt.

Thanks again and it's good to have my stumpy coming home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congratulations! I just poured a beer and will toast the homecoming.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Afric Pepperbird
    Great news! Got any info. on the punk? I'd love to see his sleazy mugshot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice! I'm with dirt farmer post any more info you got on this guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gives me some hope. Still searching for my road bike. :-/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've given up hope on my RM ETS-X. But, stoked you were able to turn it around.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Can you give us details on where the CL ad was posted? Was it portland, seattle?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great news. I have seen a few petitions out there asking craigslist to require serial numbers in all bike sale postings, making it harder for theives to post. I suppose they could always just make one up but it would probably help some.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Great news. I have seen a few petitions out there asking craigslist to require serial numbers in all bike sale postings, making it harder for theives to post. I suppose they could always just make one up but it would probably help some.
    You know that's a good point. Why is it that craigslist and pawnshops can profit from crackheads? Seems to me they totally enable methheads , and greatly increase crime. Anybody got any insight as to why the laws are so slack in this regard?

FKA Malibu412
    It was in Olympia sketch.

Glad you recovered it. Doesn't happen often so you are one of the few fortunate.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    I'm stoked to hear a successful recovery story. This is what we all want to hear when someone's rig gets stolen. Congrats!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Craigslist needs to be left alone without increasing censorship. If it wasn't for CL would this bike have returned to its owner? Blaming everything on crack and meth and then choking the life out of CL because ??? somethings missing.http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/nono.gif

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    @ pedalitup you are right. Craigslist isn't to blame here. Fortunately for me my bike was posted with out any modifications or alternations. It was a positive ID thanks to the pictures that he posted. If it were not for the photos I would have never known.

My story is pretty unique and I count my blessings that I was able to get my bike back. If it were not for craigslist I would have never seen my bike again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    No. pedalitup is not right. If thieves had no where to pedal stolen merchandise there would be no point to steal with the intent to profit. That's just simple logic. Anyway glad you got your bike back for sure.