Thread: My backyard

meatier showers

My backyard

Well, it's not actually my backyard but as close as it gets. Carpenter Bypass AKA "Whypass" is about 35 minutes west of my door. (I'm a lucky feller -- Oakridge is about 40 minutes east.) So I head out there frequently to ride &/or do trailwork.

Anyway I've ridden Whypass for over 20 years, hundreds if not thousands of times. Still way fun. This is from yesterday (6/11/17), a 3 hour ride following 5 hours of trailwork: Relive Whypass 6/11

The system includes close to 20 miles of singletrack and it's riding really well these dryer, longer days. Mostly smooth, duff-covered compacted loam. If you've never ridden Whypass, give it a whirl. You'll love it. The spiderweb network is draped over a ridge so it's all climbing or descending but nothing wicked. Newbies love it and so do experienced riders. You can get a map and directions here. Scroll down a little.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I'm not all that familiar with Eugene. Is it reasonable to get a mid summer after work ride in at Whypass if leaving town between 3-5:00?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm not all that familiar with Eugene. Is it reasonable to get a mid summer after work ride in at Whypass if leaving town between 3-5:00?
    Totally reasonable. Whypass is 30-40 minutes south depending on where in Eugene you start. Give me a holler if you want a trail guide.
    =Sprockett
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I don't think I will be down there much this summer but looks like I will be making weekly trips later this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Give me a holler if you want a trail guide.
    OHM, take Sparty up on this offer. The trai system is even more confusing than his GPS track implies. Maybe less confusing than the online map, which to me looks like it's got more trails on it than actually exist, in the Gift area anyway.

DoD hosts Party at the Pile out there in summer and also regular evening weekday rides, so if you optimize your timing you can get in with some new friends.

It's predominantly an old school XC network with a strange layout due to the topography and the BLM property checkerboard. There are three flow trails in the Gift, one with features that you should scout in advance.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 06-13-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typo