Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Singletrack Addict!!!

Must ride trails in a week's time

Hello all! We'll be going to Washington/Oregon for the first time in early August, after 2 weeks in BC (Sunshine Coast,Squamish, Vancouver, Whistler). If you had only a week ( I know, damn it!! not enough!!) What are the must do trails in both states? We'll fly out of Seattle. We ride AM/Trail mostly and crave speed and flowy singletracks, nice vistas.... not climbing too much won't hurt either On our list we have so far:

North Umpqua
    Oakridge
    Black Rock - Not big jumpers but looks beautiful and we're curious.
    Mackenzie River
    Mt Hood area or Hood river area
    Ashland- Super D/Enduro trails
    Maybe Bend...

In WA;
    Tiger Mountain
    Duthie Hill
    I don't know many there, but are they better than Oregon's offerings?

We know there are many, many more... We'll be staying on motels and maybe camping 2 or 3 days on North Umpqua and/or Mackenzie. We'll try and ride the 7 days, so a mid week mellow ride will have to be scheduled.

Thanks!
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For Washington, I'd reccommend Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham on Mt St Helens. Yeah, it's a pretty good climb up but SCENIC and awe inspiring still 33 years post eruption.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    "Speed, flowy singletrack, nice vistas, not too much climbing" sounds a lot like Bend. Early August to boot.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Well it looks that "maybe Bend" it's not an option...but.. Must Bend!
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    check out cold creek and thrillium in camas, wa. if you are going down to ashland, might aswell go to bend too.

Making fat cool since '71
    When I hear "fast and flowy" related to Oregon trails I first think Oakridge, then Blackrock, then Sandy Ridge, then Ashland then Bend...in that order. They each have their pluses and bonuses. Oakridge has a wider variety of "faster and steeper" than most places in OR. While Blackrock is badass and I go there as often as I can it pales to Whizzler, different animals or at least vastly different scale. Such an awesome place though. Oakridge can get you somewhat mellow and fast or fairly hectic and fast if you want. It's easy to get your climb on and bag a 5K' day up/down or skip the gravel grind and shuttle up with Oregon Adventures. In Bend you can get a lot of miles in without a lot of vert if you want.

It just kind of depends on what you want.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Nice info! What about the Alpine trail you were recommending in another thread? Sounds awesome!

If you had to choose between MRT or NURT.. which one and why? All the info I'm gathering makes my head spin more, so many nice places to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Must do rides

Sounds like you are up for a great trip.

Others will disagree, but in my opinion, for someone visiting, MRT takes the cake over NUT. It has a bit of everything, minus steep descents. It has flow sections, some tech sections, big trees, water falls, crystal clear lake, etc. NUT has the same, but it is a more challenging ride and the logistics are more complicated. MRT is more "on the way" to other stuff, Oakridge / Bend.

Alpine is very flowy cross country style downhill. Easy to mod ride with shuttle and a good solid ride if you don;t shuttle.

Its hard to have a bad time in Bend, but there is a lot of riding to be had in Oakridge and you'll see far less people.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    Nice info! What about the Alpine trail you were recommending in another thread? Sounds awesome!

If you had to choose between MRT or NURT.. which one and why? All the info I'm gathering makes my head spin more, so many nice places to ride.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by bb12creek View Post

Its hard to have a bad time in Bend, but there is a lot of riding to be had in Oakridge and you'll see far less people.
    Not to say that Bend is crowded in August (upper trails are open so people have room to spread out - just stay clear of the five mile radius of Phil's trailhead, where it's too dusty and hot to want to ride anyway).

Making fat cool since '71

The ride I mentioned was "ATC"...it's a great ride. Lots of different experiences in one ride and if it's shuttled to "the top" there's an option to add the Chrome toilet loop for another hour+ of riding and you won't be too wrecked. If you don't want to shuttle it, plan on 11 or 12 miles of gravel and a couple hours to get up.

Regarding MrT versus NUT. Based purely on riding: NUT. It's generally more rugged, less traveled and there's more challenge along the trail. MrT has name recognition and beauty by the boat load...and the riding from the reservoir to Clear Lake is very nice (tech and pretty), but in the summer on Thurs-Sunday...it's a parking lot.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hi. im mike from socal. me and a buddy are traveling to oregeon in a few weeks. july 20-29? are are sort of in the same boat but with a bit of knowledge. my buddy has rode the MKR trail and tiger mtn and duthie hill. I checked out duthie but hiking and it looked fun. I had a wedding in Washington. he made a road trip of it with mtn biking.

so according to my memory of his trip. it sounded like he like tiger mtn and MKR trail equally.

IF you decide to check out duthie hill and want to make it more of a xc ride. then start from Issaquah highlands. there is a trail head near central park that will take you to duthie hill. I have rode some of the trail. its nice. my buddy did that when he went to duthie and he liked it a lot. if pressed for time. just drive to duthie and do a few laps on each section.

as far as our plan when we go to Oregon. MKR for sure. NUT for sure. Bend for hotel/beer and since we are there we can hit up phills and other rides around it. we were hoping to hit waldo lake for some nice xc but I just read a report and it seems to be a lot of trees down and mosquitos. we are planning on hitting middlefork river trail near oakridge

we are wanting to hit more flowy. middle ring. pedal pedal coast king of rides.

so MKR. Nut will probably be tougher. BEND should be fun.(probably not a must do)

there is a great MTB Oregon book called kissing the trail

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Tiger is the go to place for some vert in the greater Seattle area and is sorta played out IMHO but definitely the tourist trip spot. Top to bottom with the Summit trail is a hoot. But you will have to earn it. Doofie is fun for an afternoon of dorking around (I built the Movin' On trail there so tell me how much you loved it later...) and you can indeed connect via the Grand Ridge Trail from Issaquah and, hey, there is the Issaquah Brew House right there featuring Rogue products which can't be bad.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde View Post
    When I hear "fast and flowy" related to Oregon trails I first think Oakridge, then Blackrock, then Sandy Ridge, then Ashland then Bend...in that order.
    When I hear "fast and flowy", I think the opposite of "slow and technical". I think I'd put Bend up near the top of that list for fast and flowy. There is really nothing to prevent one from going fast here, i.e. no great climbs or nothing overly technical.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    In NUT, what's the best section to hit? Is Bend overrated? I think we'll do it, after two weeks in BC, less tech will be a welcome trait.

Afric Pepperbird
    In NUT, what's the best section to hit? Is Bend overrated? I think we'll do it, after two weeks in BC, less tech will be a welcome trait.
    If bend is overrated, I'll shave off my nipples!

The best NUT is Dread and Terror. Bust your NUT on this section, and life will be golden once again. But bring a bar of Grandma's Lye Poison Ivy Soap! (it works on poison oak)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Is Bend overrated?
    I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. My last ride was roughly 2K of vert and I didn't see a soul for over 2 hours. A very nice 25 mile ride on trails in great condition. And when I finished it was easy to justify hitting the fresh draft beer that is EVERYWHERE in Bend.

FKA Malibu412
    If I had 3-4 days in a first time OR trip, it'd be (N to S) Sandy Ridge, Bend upper trails and/or Winoga, MRT, Oakridge.

IMO, Doofie isn't worth a day of your WA time but as someone said, a good late afternoon filler. Speaking of parking lot, that's all Doofie ever is.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bend for the most part is flowy and smooth, you can put together some mega rides...looks like some of the upper elevation stuff will be ready by the time you arrive.

make sure you do not miss this descent in Bend, however you arrive to the top...(shuttle with Cog Wild or pedal up Mrazek and south fork for big xc loop) Start descent from Swampy>Sector 16> Whoops> Bens...one of the funnest flowiest descents you can have on a mountainbike!

I would take a break from climbing and Plan on shuttling in Oakridge...theres not to much in terms of putting together loops and up climbs unless you like pedaling on fireroads. Watch out for Poison Oak!

you might want to add Hood River, Post Canyon to your list...haven't ridden Sandy Ridge so not sure what would be better

Singletrack Addict!!!
    "If bend is overrated, I'll shave off my nipples!" LOL I may have found a new signature... Dmar, that sounds like a fun loop, Mileage?

So, must ride trail in Oakridge would be?
    Must ride section on MRT is?
    NUT, dread and terror, must it be shuttled?

Is it worth going down to Ashland?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not exactly sure ...but the loop door to door from Shevlin is about 24miles? and about 5 hours ish? but its a very enjoyable ride and not strenuous

Take your lunch break at Tumalo Falls before you start the climb back up South Fork...also when you get to the bottom of Ben's stay left it will be a less traveled trail and cross skyliners road to 4604 take that back over to a single track that will lead you down back to shevlin pk. ...this will make more sense when looking at the map. there is singletrack instead of taking the 4606 fireroad but its hard to explain you just have to look for it, I stumbled upon it.

or you could just do all of bens and pedal road back to shevlin from phils trailhead its not far and less confusing

when starting at Shevlin I ride up the right side trail, when finishing the loop you will descend down the left of the river trail...will make sense if you study the map...it will be marked with a number 2 but go the opposite way when starting this loop

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For Oakridge do the Alpine trail

If you can do the Hardesty trail...comments from the drivers and locals is that many people like that trail better...haven't rode it but heard its more sustained and is a bit more tech

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    If you can do the Hardesty trail...comments from the drivers and locals is that many people like that trail better...haven't rode it but heard its more sustained and is a bit more tech
    +1 on Hardesty! One of my favorites from MBO a few years ago. Moon Point is another rad, easily shuttle-able/lap-able trail.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Different strokes for different folks and all that, but in your shoes (not too much climbing, not too much time) I wouldn't miss these 3 shuttles: Mackenzie River Trail, Middle Fork Willamette Trail, and Todd Lake/Metolius Windigo/Happy Valley/Mrazek.

If I had to pick ONE for a first-time visitor, it would Mackenzie River Trail, top to bottom. Cog Wild can provide shuttle services from Bend with advance notice, but IME, so can your thumb once you get to the bottom.

And yes, these can all be done without shuttles, just pretty long days with more climbing.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just spent 6 days riding around Oregon, here's my .02.

Spent 2 days in Oakridge, rode the 17K on Sat & did ATC the next.
    Definitely the highlight of the trip. Just can't find such consistently smooth & high speed trails anywhere I've been. DVille has it's spots but not the quantity. Hardesty is a must do IMO and if you're doing just Alpine, go the extra and do Tire Mtn. That trail rules!

Spent the next 2 days in Bend.
    We shuttled to Swampy & rode South Fork-->North Fork-->Farewell-->Tumalo Creek-->Skyliner-->Whoops-->Ben's and
    a Funner-->Larsen-->Kiwa-->Tiddlywinks loop the next day.
    Not that the trails there are bad, they're good, probably even great, but it's not really all that different from Tahoe riding, dry and dusty, kinda deserty in spots. Guess it just depends what you're used to, having been there now I wouldn't make a special trip but if nearby could see swinging through in the fall after some rain

Mackenzie River Trail, we took the shuttle and rode the right side of Clear Lake. Nice trail but with all the hoopla came high expectations and we felt kinda let down. Was good, not great.

Black Rock the next AM for a lap & half, rode the Banzai 1st lap & Sickter the half lap. Super fun and really nice area. I'm not a jumper at all & I dug it!

Drove all afternoon and pulled into Ashland in time for the evening shuttle. Way longer ride than I expected, hit up Time Warp and made my way into town around dark. Lotsa high speed singletrack through the woods but quite a bit of washboard. I was pretty beat by the time I was done, probably from 6 straight days of getting after it.

Don't miss Oakridge, depending on where you're coming from and what you're used to, Bend has much to offer besides the riding, like breweries aplenty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast