Die trying, not watching.

New question here. Must Ride Trails in Central Oregon

I am planning a trip for this August for my and several buddies. We'll have a week - probably kill the better part of 2 days driving to / from NorCal. What trails should we absolutely not miss. My list now has the Mackenzie River Trail and the N. Umpqua trail (which sections). I have ridden in and around Bend on a trip 2 years ago.
    Also, given the trail selections, where is the best place to make our headquarters. We don't want to be moving town to town if we can help it.
    Finally, I am guessing that August is a good time to ride in Oregon. Correct.
    Any and all help much appreciated.
    Just get up again ...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by loomis
    I am planning a trip for this August for my and several buddies. We'll have a week - probably kill the better part of 2 days driving to / from NorCal. What trails should we absolutely not miss. My list now has the Mackenzie River Trail and the N. Umpqua trail (which sections). I have ridden in and around Bend on a trip 2 years ago.
    Also, given the trail selections, where is the best place to make our headquarters. We don't want to be moving town to town if we can help it.
    MRT and NUT are western Oregon trails, not central Oregon. You will need to change your "base" town for each as they are several hours drive-time apart with no real town near either. Oakridge (OROR) is about half way between the two and you can access each via forest roads from there in reasonable drive times.

Lots of trails around OROR worth riding.

The upper half of NUT is what I ride. Great trail and views and no poison oak.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I love Mrazek

Quote Originally Posted by loomis
    I have ridden up Phil's to Tumalo up North Fork to Mrazek back to Bend. My favorite! It is a long ride but not to long and ends with a very cool descent that seems to last forever. It is a great work out too. You can out and back Mrazek also. So many options and so little time. Very few bad rides in Bend. The only downfall with Bend now is the crowds of riders but enough room to stretch out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am planning a trip out this year as well.. actually the trip is dual-purpose because I plan on moving to Eugene in 2011. I am flying in to Portland and catching the train into Eugene. From there I plan on going to both the MRT and to Oakridge trails via the Lane Transit Buses, not to mention riding around the city to take in as much as possible. I'll be there for a week so I'm not pressed for time. I'll probably go in September so I can get a Ducks game in at Autzen as well. If I make it close to the MRT on the bus, are there any shuttles that run to the lava field end of the trail?

mtbr member
    I'd shoot for a little earlier than August, it can get pretty dusty on the east side later in the summer.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by cascader
    I am planning a trip out this year as well.. actually the trip is dual-purpose because I plan on moving to Eugene in 2011. I am flying in to Portland and catching the train into Eugene. From there I plan on going to both the MRT and to Oakridge trails via the Lane Transit Buses, not to mention riding around the city to take in as much as possible. I'll be there for a week so I'm not pressed for time. I'll probably go in September so I can get a Ducks game in at Autzen as well. If I make it close to the MRT on the bus, are there any shuttles that run to the lava field end of the trail?
    If you're sticking with westside trails (MRT, Oakridge), you couldn't pick a better time than September. If you can get up to Waldo Lake, the kids, bugs and campers are largely gone then, and the late summer breezes and long shadows make that place magically serene.

Look the Disciples of Dirt up if you want company / carpool.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    If you're sticking with westside trails (MRT, Oakridge), you couldn't pick a better time than September. If you can get up to Waldo Lake, the kids, bugs and campers are largely gone then, and the late summer breezes and long shadows make that place magically serene.

Look the Disciples of Dirt up if you want company / carpool.

--Sparty
    Yeah definitely, thanks man
    I'm guessing I'll be there right in the middle of September, which I know is right before the rain is more frequent. How long is the trail to Waldo Lake? I think I'm going to do the MRT, take a day to cruise Eugene, and then do Oakridge after that, plus try go skydiving sometime... got a real vacation coming, not just time off.

meatier showers
    The inaugural Fat55 mountain bike race in Oakridge will happen on Sept. 18 if this interests you. Good trails & good times.

The Waldo Lake trail is 22 miles around the lake if I recall correctly.

I belive the 2010 Sawtooth Struggle is slated for Sept. 24-26 if you're into that. More goodness.

Sawtooth Struggle 2008 edition

On the Struggle, we bag two peaks -- Cowhorn & Sawtooth Mtns. Plus there's good camping & consumption of awesome Oregon microbrews. Just sayin'...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I gotta agree with Jaybo on that ride he outlined. One of my favorites, and you can loop it pretty easily via a few slightly obscure trails leading from Shevlin Park over to the Phil's system.

As also mentioned above, Waldo Lake is not to be missed.

Personally, I would add the Middle Fork of the Willamette, located about 10 miles or so south of Oakridge.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by cascader
    If you're moving here next year then I would skip MRT and just do all Oakridge rides. There are more awesome trails than you are going to ride in a week, even if you weren't wasting time with football and skydiving .
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'll probably be at a Ducks game on the 18th, the race looks like 2 tons of fun though.
    Look like you guys are having the time of your lives on those trails, can't wait to get out there!

mtbr member

Waldo and beyond

There are at least three days worth of excellent trails in the Waldo area, Maiden, Fugi, Twins all of them are epic , not to mention heading over to the Sawtooth area, again at least two days of epic there.
    [SIZE="3"]THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcanride
    There are at least three days worth of excellent trails in the Waldo area, Maiden, Fugi, Twins all of them are epic , not to mention heading over to the Sawtooth area, again at least two days of epic there.
    Yep, Fuji is awesome. The crescent lake to lake suzanne loop is not to be missed as well.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

it means 'no problem'
    I guess every trail in Oregon could be considered "must ride". Better just move here. I've lived here 20 years and there's stuff mentioned above that I have yet to ride, a shameful admission I know.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    Yep, Fuji is awesome. The crescent lake to lake suzanne loop is not to be missed as well.
    Suzanne rules my world.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I like Oakridge a lot

But I really like Bend! Nonetheless there are some very cool ride in Oakridge. Bend gets awful dusty later summer while Oakridge stays good all summer.

mtbr member
    Back to the original question, where to ride. If I was driving up from SoCal I would first head to Lemolo Lake Resort on the North Umpqua Trail/River: http://www.lemololakeresort.com/ They can help with a shuttle so you can ride the top section of the trail including Dread and Terror and the Hot Springs Section. Ride farther West sections as an out and back if you like, or carry on to Bend.
    In Bend since there are many of you, I would look into a house rental, this is a great website, book early as summer months are popular: www.VRBO.com. Based in Bend there is great riding including the Newberry Crater Lake Loop and some riding in the Cascades. August can be an interesting month for the higher elevation stuff, some years the snow has melted early enough that the mosquitoes following the melting snow are gone, other years not so lucky. But there is so much riding to do, you always have a ton of options. Yes, you might see people in the lower trails close to town, but farther out you can ride for hours and pass only a few folks.
    As a local the best way to ride the MRT is as a shuttle. It can be a true pain to deal with retrieving your vehicle once you get to the bottom. We, Cog Wild offer a shuttle that you should consider. That way you start and end in Bend, and considering how much driving you will have already done, having someone else drive might be perfect - and we stow a cooler in the van so you can bring brews to enjoy after the ride.
    Some other shuttles we offer are Tues/Thursday shuttle at 4pm or 5:30pm to the snow parks up near Mt Bachelor. You can use this for your group or if you drove up to do a full day ride back to Bend, one of you can use it to get back to your car. The price is $10 pp.
    August is a great time to be in Bend, there is free music every week in the park, farmers market, always lots going on downtown and many local breweries to visit, the SIXTH local microbrewery opens a brewpub shortly, so each night can be a different location.
    Good choice on coming to Oregon for a mountain biking vacation, where ever you all decide to go and ride will not disappoint!
    Melanie
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Must ride trails in Bend? Climb North Fork From Skyliner parking area and enjoy the views of the waterfalls. Hook into Trail 99 and Metolius Windigo for some more climbing... Left on to Flagline and climb some more... (Flagline should be open by mid-August) Get ready for the gravity to reward your climb. Flagline to South fork, don't worry, more good downhill'n. Hard left on to Tumalo Creek trail and follow it back to Skyliner. One of my favorites.

Whoops Trail= BMX track in the woods. Nice table tops, berms, and double's if you are up for it. (one way/downhill only on upper section)

Have fun!
    Lee